“Simply the best”

Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornhill
Closeburn, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed July 14, 2013

Highly recommend a visit to Buccleuch & Queensberry Arms Hotel, Thornhill. We have numerous experiences of this hotel, having attended for Lunch, Dinner , Buffet party and recently for dinner in the private dining room. On each occasion we have found the staff to be very welcoming and polite and happy to go the extra mile to please. The food is always lovely, well prepared , presented and excellently cooked with a good variety of dishes to suit all tastes. We will definitely be back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2013

I just visited The Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel in Thornhill with my 2 sons for tea & was seriously disappointed to say the least ! We ordered at 5.40pm & at 6.20pm the food arrived. A bacon only bagel, a plain cheeseburger & chips & a plough man's platter. Including a soft drink each our bill was £27. The bagel was solid & the bread rolls with the ploughmans was brick hard & would only have opened with a chizel. The place was beautiful & the young girl who served us was lovely But NEVER AGAIN !

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Mary2011_11
Earby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 18, 2013

My words could not do justice to the stylishness of the room/bathroom, the quality of the food or best of all the absolutely superb service offered by all the staff at this hotel I am in the 50 to 55 age bracket and always assumed that service and quality at this price base had vanished from our shores forever - how pleasantly surprised i was to find it alive and well at the BQA. If I am ever back in bonny Scotland and within 30 miles of this hotel, the detour, I know, would be rewarded! Thank you for looking after us so well - my only complaint, as i told you at check out, was, that I was not staying for a full week - Congratulations to all

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2013

Completely refurbished throughout, with an unerring sense of style coupled with warm, informal and welcoming service. The food was exquisitely prepared and presented, with extensive use of wonderful local ingredients and expertly cooked Our room was light and airy, with a stylish bathroom and top quality bed linen which completed a wonderful weekend of quiet indulgence. We will return again soon.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alan G
Dumfries
Reviewed June 1, 2013

What a refreshing refurbishment to what used to be a really tired hotel, with a very warm welcome we had an amazing dinner with fantastic service from Charles and Imogen who for us went out of their way and rated 12/10! Even going the extra mile to ensure the lady had a slice of lemon in her water...thank you.
The canapes were a nice surprise and set the tone for the rest of the food which was of a higher than expected standard.
The cheese board is a must but can not be rushed and i was even offered extra crackers!
This is the place to go if you're in Thornhill whether it's an a la carte menu or a pub supper you're after you'd be crazy to drive past it.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Hamish1943
Dumfries, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2013

wow, I just joined weight watchers and I was told this hotel has a ww menu. I was sceptical but when I asked for it the waiter went and got it for me. It was a good menu and I choose the Bouillabaisse. It was delicious and only 6 points!!
Well done I will spread the word.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank anick1tc
Edinburgh
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in Thornhill for the 3 day Music Festival. Now, I was there 2 years ago for the Festival and saw a few bands in this hotel and to say it has changed would be an understatement! For the better? Absolutely so, it has emerged from it's chrysalis and while not quite in full flight, it will be very soon.

I strolled into the hotel on Saturday afternoon to a wonderfully friendly welcome and was shown up to my room. A friend of mine assesses hotels on the type of milk that is left for your coffee! I didn't even notice that! The 2 pieces of shortbread, 2 pieces of tablet, one bottle of sparkling and one bottle of still water were enough to sway me! The room was immaculate, very comfortable, clean, and something I'll mention quite a lot in this review, it had some character!

I don't know the details, I did hear various bits and pieces while I was there, but this hotel has been quite extensively refurbished. This isn't just a cosmetic makeover, there have been some structural changes too. The Upstairs (Ballroom?) room the bands were playing in is completely new and I guess not quite finished, the Bar and Dining Area is new and is sumptuous enough, while the Dining Room is a nice combination of precise informality.

Like Britain's High Streets, it's hard to get these places not looking like a an architects formula for how we should live and how things should look. This place is close, but the individual touches keep it on the side of original; the local artwork and beverages give it that edge.

I only had breakfast, vegetarian, and it was delicious, we were given small pastries at about 9 in the bar the evening before! There seems to be a genuine desire to make this a local hotel with loftier ambitions yet to keep it's place in the village, it works!

The Staff: very friendly, well trained and have that nice balance of friendly personal service while still being professional.

I'll be going back to see how this place grows, I really do think it's well on it's way to being one of those rare things: a modern 'Hotel with a Soul'!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Sandy M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornhill
Trigony House Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lockerbie
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
#1 of 4 in Moffat

Been to Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel? Share your experiences!