“food”

Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornhill
Reviewed June 1, 2013

wow, I just joined weight watchers and I was told this hotel has a ww menu. I was sceptical but when I asked for it the waiter went and got it for me. It was a good menu and I choose the Bouillabaisse. It was delicious and only 6 points!!
Well done I will spread the word.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank anick1tc

Reviewed May 9, 2013

I was in Thornhill for the 3 day Music Festival. Now, I was there 2 years ago for the Festival and saw a few bands in this hotel and to say it has changed would be an understatement! For the better? Absolutely so, it has emerged from it's chrysalis and while not quite in full flight, it will be very soon.

I strolled into the hotel on Saturday afternoon to a wonderfully friendly welcome and was shown up to my room. A friend of mine assesses hotels on the type of milk that is left for your coffee! I didn't even notice that! The 2 pieces of shortbread, 2 pieces of tablet, one bottle of sparkling and one bottle of still water were enough to sway me! The room was immaculate, very comfortable, clean, and something I'll mention quite a lot in this review, it had some character!

I don't know the details, I did hear various bits and pieces while I was there, but this hotel has been quite extensively refurbished. This isn't just a cosmetic makeover, there have been some structural changes too. The Upstairs (Ballroom?) room the bands were playing in is completely new and I guess not quite finished, the Bar and Dining Area is new and is sumptuous enough, while the Dining Room is a nice combination of precise informality.

Like Britain's High Streets, it's hard to get these places not looking like a an architects formula for how we should live and how things should look. This place is close, but the individual touches keep it on the side of original; the local artwork and beverages give it that edge.

I only had breakfast, vegetarian, and it was delicious, we were given small pastries at about 9 in the bar the evening before! There seems to be a genuine desire to make this a local hotel with loftier ambitions yet to keep it's place in the village, it works!

The Staff: very friendly, well trained and have that nice balance of friendly personal service while still being professional.

I'll be going back to see how this place grows, I really do think it's well on it's way to being one of those rare things: a modern 'Hotel with a Soul'!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Sandy M
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I found this to be a fabulous hotel with well appointed room; I was in room number three and was able to watch the TV as I soaked in the HUGE bath ( great toiletries by the way) and wrapped in lovely fluffy towels and a complimentary bathrobe when I had soaked to prune like!

The bed was exceedingly comfortable and I would love to know where the pillows were bought as they were sooooooo comfortable.

The Restaurant was a friendly and relaxing place to eat with a surprisingly inexpensive well stocked bar; food was to die for - it was well presented, delicious and plentiful. I would not hesitate to return there and would recommend it for a quiet relaxing break.

Room Tip: Ask to see the rooms available, I am sure this hotel will accommodate.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Marie W
Reviewed April 5, 2013

Myself and 3 other family members were looking forward to a lovely Sunday roast dinner. We had booked the table for 1pm and our order was taken shortly after. We received our drinks but didn't receive our dinner until almost 1 hour later! The roast lamb and beef arrived rare with the fat unrendered. When we complained to the on duty manager about the long wait and the uncooked meat, we were advised that this is how the chef cooks it and that each meal is made to order.His customer service skills left a lot to be desired. He really didn't care and didn't apologise or offer any alternative. Customers at other tables were also complaining about the uncooked food and lengthy wait. Can't fault the poor waitress who was doing her best in a difficult situation. We then had an further long wait for the cheesboard and dessert to arrive. We were ready to give up and leave when they arrived. That was the best part of the meal but then you can't go wrong with that. When paying the bill, we were not offered any discount off this or any future meals should we decide to return. I for one, won't be in a rush to return. Such a shame as it has the makings of a lovely restaurant and would be good for the local community.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Junek265
Arthur S, Owner at Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Junek

I apologise for both the long wait and that your meat was not cooked to your liking.

We are always striving to improve service and hope this won't happen again. We will in future indicate on the menu that our Sunday roasts (particularly the beef) are served rare.

If you choose to come back then please identify yourself.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

Myself and family and friends have been for several meals and drinks and I must say it is nice to get a breath of fresh air in the area very polite staff the food is great and having been introduced to the owner on our first visit he always makes a point of coming to the table and making sure everything is ok it's is nice to see a hotel owner with his feet still on the ground . Great food great staff a credit to the hotels new owners we will be back.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank randr_13
Reviewed April 3, 2013

One night stay with diner and breakfast. The refurbishment has been done extremely well but there are one or two issues to be resolved. The dinner was good but not excellent. The fish was a tad over done and the pork dish was too small for a main course. Breakfast was also good but a touch slow. The room had been recently been wonderfully refurbished at , no doubt , some considerable cost.
I will use this hotel again as I am sure that following its recent re opening the odd teething issues will be resolved.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank paul w

Dear Randr

Thank You for your glowing review.

We look forward to seeing you back!

Reviewed March 27, 2013

Recently my partner and I decided to pop in for a meal at the newly refurbished restaurant as we had visited prior to the new ownership. It was a delightful transformation as the older building was tired and food was not of a high standard. As we booked a table on Friday night it was relatively busy which was nice to see. As we were welcomed by a friendly chap we sat and had a few drinks whilst waiting for the menus. We were then given our drinks by the waiter who met us at the door and his knowledge of the menu helped us with our choices which was brilliant as my husband is rather fussy. We recognised a couple of younger waitresses from the older Buccleuch as we found them very friendly to talk to about the transformation. Although our experience through service was brilliant , we felt uncomfortable when a young man came into the bar with a very abrupt manner. We found him rather rude as the barman had said "shall I put it in" when he referred to the glass and the younger man said "that's what she said". We found this highly appropriate and were shocked when we asked who this man was as it was actually the owner. Although we can't fault the service or food I couldn't believe the immaturity of who is meant to be owning the place. This to me affects the reputation of the new business which is a shame.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kerry C

Dear Kerry C

Thank you for your review and all the good things you say about the work we have done at the BQA.

Yes, my son Arthur who manages the hotel recalls what he said. Both he and I apologise for this incident and he will endeavour not to be so tasteless in public in the future.

We do hope we will see you back, please identify yourself so that we can apologise personally.

Dolf Sweerts

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornhill
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Trigony House Hotel and Garden Spa
Blackaddie Country House Hotel
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
Buccleuch Arms Hotel
#1 of 4 in Moffat
Best Western Station Hotel
Cairndale Hotel & Leisure Club

Been to Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel? Share your experiences!