“Wonderful refurbishment, shame about the service”

Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Thornhill
Reviewed October 3, 2012

I have been to this hotel numerous times now. I must say the refurbishment is of top standard, lovely design and furniture. However, when I attended for a meal I felt the portions were of small sizes. I had the steak which was great but after a 3 course meal I left still hungry!! I recommend ordering a side of chips which I will most definitely be doing next time. My next experience, I went on a quiet Sunday afternoon. With only 6 people sitting in the lounge and restaurant I ordered my drinks at the bar and was then told to take a seat and my drinks will be with us soon. I chose, directly opposite the bar. Having seen 5 members of staff working. I was still forced sit and wait for over 25 minutes for my drinks to be brought over. I then asked for a menu. We were left to peruse over the menu for a further half an hour by which time we had finished our drinks and weren't offered more. We decided the service was too slow and we would head further up the road to the next hotel. An hour was spent with one drink and no food order. If the service was more efficient then I probably would have stayed for food. Hopefully next time my experience will be better.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank winterlass
Arthur S, Owner at Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 18, 2013

Dear Winterlass

Thank you for your review I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you.

When you came in we were just open and I am sure things have improved since then.

Yours

Dolf Sweerts

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Ten of us met up for lunch in Thornhill as a central point for a family catch up.
Luckily for us we booked at this hotel, which is being refurbished.
The work is to a very high standard, my husband has a building firm and was impressed, real oak doors and tables and high spec finish in the ladies.
Every member of staff was really friendly and very tolerant when we were all too busy chatting to say who had ordered what...
We were in a lovely dining room with a log fire and had coffee in the comfy lounge.
The food was uniformly delicious and the portion sizes were perfect, we were all comfortably full and could only just manage the delicious tablet with the coffee.
We will very definately be going again and I would highly recommend it. When the bedrooms are finished - they hope in November, I'd consider staying.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Having grown up in the Thornhill area, it was sad to see how much the Buccleuch had declined in recent years. I'm pleased to say it is now almost unrecognisable. The new owners have completely gutted the place and it's looking great.

It's now also offering absolutely fantastic food (and cocktails!) My husband and I had a meal there at the weekend and it was without doubt the best dining experience we've both had in ages.

It was hard to choose what to have from the menu as so many things sounded lovely. I'm surprised that the previous reviewer complained about not having enough food as all three of our courses were more than ample. We ordered a side dish of green veg to go with our mains but really didn't need it. We were almost too full for pudding but I'm so glad I forced myself to go for it as my rum panna cotta with berry compote turned out to be the star of my meal!

The staff were all very attentive and chatty without being intrusive.

I hope the new owners do well. We'll definitely be back.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 21, 2012

The meal I had last night was totally inadequate: tiny portion (two wee bits of pork, 6 dots of apple sauce and one potato crocuette) which would not feed a very small child. Very expensive and one of our company actually went for a carry out after the meal. I did tell the waiter who informed the chef, who refused to do anyting about it and then the waiter offered us a free coffee, because he felt bad.
The staff were very friendly, helpful and efficient though and some others in the company had a good size main course. I personally will not eat there again.

6  Thank angelyscotland
Arthur S, Owner at Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 26, 2012

Dear anick1tc,

Thank you for posting a review of the hotel. We are very happy with how the refurbishment is coming along, and it is always wonderful to hear that our guests welcome the changes we are making. We are aiming to have the bedrooms ready in November so please feel free to come in to have a look round when they are complete. We are very pleased you enjoyed your dining experience and look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

Yes Yes Yes at last I have a local restaurant to take friends to. It has a lovely calm atmosphere well decorated and the food is fantastic. The staff were more than helpful. I think you are best to book as it would be a shame to miss out. The new owners have only just opened for business but already I think this you should watch this space, as I am sure the awards will come. Thank you to all for an enjoyable meal and evening. Extra mention for the cheese board assortment fantastic.

Dear jacarmy,

Thank you for review, another fan of the cheese board which is fantastic. All local cheeses, just a selection of the wide variety of fantastic produce on our doorstep in Dumfries and Galloway and the Scottish borders. We look forward to welcoming you back when we have developed the menu further.

Best regards.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

This hotel has been bought by new owners and they are in the process of complete renovation. The rooms are not open as yet but the bar and restaurant are. I dined there last night and the meal was wonderful.........home made steak and ale pie with mash, cabbage and green beans. It was presented beautifully in the well-appointed and tastefully decorated dining room. The service was excellant and the staff very attentive and the entire place is run with a very professional air We followed our main with a cheese board and this was a very pleasant surprise! A good variety of cheeses with apple, grapes, redcurrant jelly and chutnies served with a plentiful supply of oatcakes and crackers on slate. Their Italian coffee is very good, and we had this in the relaxing lounge area in front of the log fire. The chef is very talented and the new owners have made a real effort to make their patrons feel special as well as giving a superb dining experience. I wish them evey success...............they deserve it!!!!

Dear madaboutmasr,

Thank you for your kind comments, we have a big focus on providing a fabulous all round dining experience to our guests, so your review is very gratifying and great motivation to keep striving for perfection. The cheese slate was a new twist to the menu and we think it works really well. Our coffee is from Caffe L'Antico in Modena, Italy, and we agree it is fantastic coffee!

Reviewed September 9, 2012

Completely agree with the review of anick1tc that all pre-July 2012 reviews should be removed. My wife and I have just eaten in the restaurant - we had 3 courses + coffee and could not fault it (and yes, we are fussy Yorkshire people). The attention to detail of all the staff was excellent and very refreshing in these days where a lack of care seems to pervade so many eating establishments. Yes - it is not a complete hotel as the bedrooms are being refurbished (trashed and completely rebuilt would be more appropriate, I feel). It's a pity that I oniy live 6 miles away - I would love an excuse to try the bedrooms once they are finished.
Suffice it to say that we have already made a provisional booking for our family Christmas meal with them!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Auldgirth

Dear Auldgirth,

Thank you for your review, we are very happy to have passed the Yorkshire test! Once the rooms are ready we will be offering a dine and stay option, so you may very well have the perfect excuse to sample the bedrooms, even if just for 1 night. We will keep in touch and let you know when the bedrooms are complete.

Best regards.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Thornhill
Friars Carse Country House Hotel
Townhead Hotel
Townhead Hotel
#1 of 7 in Lockerbie
Best Western Dryfesdale Country House Hotel

Been to Buccleuch & Queensberry Hotel? Share your experiences!