“Nice stay, go with GPS”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Canada
“Nice stay, go with GPS”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

We recently stayed for a few nights at this hotel. We booked it based on reviews on Trip Advisor comparing it to perfection and heaven on earth. While we enjoyed our stay, I think it would be fair to take the level of enthusiasm over this place down a notch.

Oh, and please, if you are trying to find this place on your own, get a GPS. We have driven all over Costa Rica in the past few years but have never become hopelessly lost like we did on our way to this hotel. We had a map, an iPad and printed out directions, but that doesn't help when there are no street signs anywhere. Some locals helped us out, but the problem is, most of them don't know the names of streets either! To the MAJOR credit of this hotel, they really came through. I emailed them telling of our dilemma (as my phone can't make outgoing calls internationally) and they phoned us in minutes. To avoid this in the future, we will always travel with a GPS. Life lesson learned.

The good:

-The staff are outstanding here. They are so friendly, respectful and helpful and genuinely seem to care about the guests. They are really top notch and we enjoyed getting to know them.

-The coffee tour was really interesting and well worth it. The guide, Leo, knows everything there is to know about coffee and opened our eyes to the reality of the problems in the coffee industry and how difficult it is to know whether what you are purchasing actually reflects what is on the label.

-The food was enjoyable and the restaurant wasn't badly overpriced, which is good, considering it's the only food available on the resort other than the cashews, chips and chocolate bars left in the minibar in the room (for a price...)! The Tico breakfast is great, the steak is so-so (but I knew that going in, as beef isn't the shining star of Costa Rican cuisine...) and of course, the coffee is delicious.

-The grounds are really lovely and there's a great view of the city

-The jacuzzi tub in the room is a great place to relax, drink a glass of wine and contemplate the tough questions of life, like "When should we leave for dinner?"

-The look of the pool--it's really quite something to take in. But it has some drawbacks. (Foreshadowing!)

The bad:

-The rooms weren't quite what I expected based on the frenzied fervour that appeared in other reviewers' posts. One thing is for sure: they are definitely "unique." But "unique", as I discovered, doesn't necessarily mean "wonderful." The small kitchen area was nice, but there was no real place to sit down and relax. The bedroom was much smaller than it appeared on the website photos, which were obviously taken with the same space-enhancing cameras that are used to take real estate photos. We left a package of crackers on the counter for 10 minutes and it was infested with ants. This does come with the territory, but I've never seen them this bad, even at other "eco" lodges. The overall feel was a bit dated and although clean, not totally fresh. Basically, for the amount we were paying, I was expecting comfort, freshness, luxuriousness and tranquility. It's not that the room was bad, but it didn't reach the level you normally get when you are paying more than $300 a night. If it was half the price, I'd say the value for the money was well worth it. And although I did enjoy the stay, I'm not sure I would do it again because I don't think it is a justified splurge. To put it another way: this place was, by far, the most expensive room we booked during our stay at three separate areas in Costa Rica, and it was our least favourite.

-The pool was cold. Not a huge catastrophe, but as my travel companion said, it requires a "leap of faith" to jump into the water. That was a bit disappointing because we had really been looking forward to making good use of the pool.

So that's it: a nice place that seems to cost way too much. Not exactly what you'd be expecting based on other raves on this site.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank elbadgo
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Dear Dionne_ssm; Thanks for writing in- I am so sorry that you got lost here, although sometimes it happens as Costa Rica does not nor has it ever used street names, numbers or signs- we rely on landmarks and verbal descriptions which is an art form-unto itself. I did receive your email asking for assistance and I am glad we were able to get back to you quickly so you could find your way. We do suggest to everybody that they get a GPS when they arrive here and usually they are quite efficient, but sometimes there are glitches..
I am really sorry we didn't meet your expectations with the room.. Our photos of the rooms are taken by us with no tricks or special lenses, other than a wide angle one, so we can get as much of the unique hand made furniture and vast art collection into the frame as possible. I am also sorry it seemed as if the rooms were larger, although the smallest room in the hotel is more than 400 square feet and all have quite large decks outside as well.
However, thanks for taking the time to write in and for trying to be objective- i am just sorry we didn't leave you with the same general excitement that almost all of our other guests write in about.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (154)
Burdett, New York
Reviewed January 25, 2013

Landing at Finca Rosa Blanca at the end of my trip was like stepping from the realm of mortals onto Mount Olympus. Everything about the hotel was perfection. The inn combines a perfect balance of elegance, comfort, and eclecticism. The inn exudes and exemplifies Costa Rica and works hard to immerse guests in all of the amazing experiences, artwork and vegetation that the country has to offer without coming off "touristy" or "gimmicky."

I have stayed in numerous high-end hotels throughout the world, including many Exclusive Resorts locations and high-end boutique hotels, but this inn swept me off of my feet. It had all of the details that I wanted in a beautiful hotel: ethnic identity, luxury and welcoming charm.

I stayed in the room, El Cafetal. The room was stunning and filled with natural light and hand-made furniture. The views out the windows and off of the private porch across the coffee plantation were stunning. It was a dream to be able to sit in the over-sized tile Jacuzzi and look out the window over the plantation at the mountains in the distance. The circular, cylindrical shower was inspiring, especially with the light coming down from the overhead skylight.

From the buildings to the decor, the entire hotel is absolutely stunning and illustrates the essence of Central American aesthetics. The artwork throughout all of the buildings and rooms are sublime, unique and tasteful and the tiles that are used generously throughout the property are absolutely beautiful.

Located at a coffee plantation, the Inn offers a unique window to one of the major and most infamous exports of Costa Rica. Tours of the coffee plantation are easily available. I was visiting during harvest season and it was wonderful to watch as employees picked the coffee. The opportunity grow my understanding of the cultural impact that coffee has on Costa Rica and also witness different sustainable organic methods of raising coffee was unforgettable.

The inn's gardens are absolutely majestic and transport you out of Santa Barbara (San Jose) and into a magical and tropical paradise. Throughout the grounds many of the indigenous plants and trees are labeled, making the entire property feel akin to a botanical gardens.

However, what really made this hotel a memorable experience was the staff. From the first moment when I arrived through the beautiful gates, the staff was welcoming, friendly, accommodating and sincere. Everything was perfect about the service, from the fantastic waitstaff at the restaurant to the fact that when I returned from dinner they had turned down my bed for me in my room.

I also had the opportunity to meet and get to know the owners.Glenn and Teri, during my visit. They are a passionate, vivacious, creative and up beat American couple who has fully embraced Costa Rica. Their drive to share their love of the country is phenomenal, as is their dedication to their inn.

This hotel is a must see, must stay awhile.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank PaintedBarStables
Hola E; Thanks for writing in and for sharing your experiences with the readers on Tripadvisor. It was so great for us to meet you and to hear your wonderful stories about your horse stables in the center of New York state. I am so glad you could go riding in Santa Ana and we loved hearing your observations about the difference3s between Costa Rican horses and our own "Criollo" version, which are great dancers and very hardy horses.
Your trip sounds really amazing and I am glad that Finca Rosa Blanca brought you so much happiness, especially because you had a lot to compare us to. And thanks for mentioning our sustainability efforts, that is something that both Teri and I are completely dedicated to, as we feel that people and businesses have a responsibility to give back to their communities, conserve the environment and not to waste our natural resources. We take pride in the facet that after 28 years we have learned to do this without sacrificing the luxury, comfort and high expectations of our guests.
Boston
Reviewed January 22, 2013

The property is slightly removed from close by activities but, for a honeymoon or relaxation spot this could be a fabulous place to visit. The food and service were commendable and the accommodations unusual but comfortable. The infinity pool and jacuzzi set up were great places to visit on the warm weather days; the pool is an excellent lap swim pool. Nearby villages can be walked to but provide limited eating options. Anything more requires cab or rental vehicle to reach the venue. Choose this place for recovery or celebration for couples. This is not a place for young families with kids. The coffee plantation tour was outstanding.

Room Tip: We were in the Gariaria / Robles unit providing a perfect spot for a couple and our two adult childr...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank NeedSher
Dear NeedSher;
Thanks for writing about how relaxing our place can be, it indeed is a fabulous place with the world's best climate for relaxing and indulging in food, spa and other de-stressing activities. It is also great for families, as we offer a myriad tour opportunities and on ground walks so that families can enjoy themselves together and come back from hours of excitement to slow down, swim or just lay around the rest of the day. Something for everyone!
Of course if you are honeymooners... well you know, this is perhaps the most romantic spot on earth to spend time with your loved ones, surrounded by our lush gardens, private nooks and crannys everywhere and the romantic "El Tigre Vestido" restaurant where you can dine by the fireplace at night (yes it gets a bit chilly at night) or on our deck looking down to the coffee farms and Valley below. You choose.
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed January 21, 2013

My husband and I booked a coffee tour with Finca Rosa Blanca. We were amazed at the knowledge and enthusiasm of the tour guide, Leo. His clearly loved what he did and it came through in the tour. We learned so many amazing facts about coffee and the environment; it has changed our views on large coffee companies. Even if you are not staying at Finca Rosa Blanca (we did not, we stayed in a beautiful B&B in Barva called Casa de Flores) I greatly suggest taking the coffee tour at Finca Rosa Blanca.

Dear AmandaH;
I am so glad you got to take the coffee tour at Rosa Blanca. next time you should try and stay for a few days with us to take advantage of all the other activities and pampering we offer at our little resort (I say little even though we have 35 acres of coffee and gardens because we only have 13 rooms).
If you want more of our coffee, you can order it online at CafeMilagro.com
Thanks for writing in.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Finca Rosa Blanca is truly heaven on earth. There are not a lot of rooms at the inn which adds to the charm of this place. We stayed there our 2nd night in Costa Rica. After experiencing San Jose the day before this was just what we needed to get our trip off to a great start-- though it sets the bar very high for any other place you'll visit.
We stayed in the La Careta room with our 2 children. In looking on their website I thought this room would suit us best and it was wonderful. The bed and linens were the most comfortable of any place we stayed. We had our own private patio that was lovely and there were other communal rooms in our building to enjoy. The large sitting area right out of our door was incredible, the railing was hand carved to be a snake, the artwork was so beautiful and fitting for the location, at every turn there was something to appreciate. The owners have taken so much pride in even the small details.
The pool was a little cold for me (but I like it about 90 degrees) my children enjoyed it. The hot tub was great, it sits under an arbor filled with flowers. My husband and I enjoyed a romantic soak one night while the kids played in the pool below. We felt like we had the whole place to ourselves.
When we first arrived we were served complimentary refreshments of juice, coffee and fresh baked homemade cookies. We were greeted enthusiastically and warmly. And things got better and better. Everything we ate was delicious. The wait staff was great. We don't speak Spanish, though my daughter has had some high school classes, so we had some fun with the staff teaching us phrases that would come in handy. It became like a game for the kids and we all had a few laughs. Everyone at the inn spoke English very well but we enjoyed the interaction.
We took the plantation tour and enjoyed it, our guide Leo was extremely knowledgeable and interesting.
Toto works the desk and was the person who greeted us, helped us during the stay and was the last person we spoke to when we left. He went above and beyond his duties. He asked where we were traveling next and then took the time to print out directions and recommendations for restaurants, along with descriptions (and his recommendations were very good). He was great, although it may not be fair to single him out because every single person there was there for our pleasure and they far exceeded our expectations.
Unfortunately we only booked our room for one night. To be honest we had never been there before and the price of the rooms is not inexpensive. I wish we could have stayed longer but it was too late to alter our travel plans. The environment is well worth the cost of the room and we found the restaurant prices to be very reasonable. If you are looking for night clubs or theme parks, this is not the place for you, but If you are looking for a relaxing, luxurious stay in a place with great attention to detail I can't recommend any place better. My 12 year old son kept saying this place is heaven and it was.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Cindy T
Dear Cindy T; I am so proud to read your long and detailed review of Rosa Blanca and it really makes me feel like we are doing something right to receive these kinds of laudatory offerings from our clients. I always say that it is heaven on earth also, but I follow up that comment by admitting that I am not really objective, and even after 28 years after creating Rosa Blanca, it still seems like I won the lottery getting to live here. La Carreta room used to be our kitchen area in the old days, and when we converted it into a room in 2007, we had Oscar Salazar, a family friend and mural paintr from Barva, the next town over, come and paint that huge mural of the" Carreta" or ox cart as a homage to the Costa Rican way of bringing coffee to market way back when.
I know the pool sometimes is a little chilly when you first jump in but it actually heats up via our solar pool heaters, so once in, it is very easy to stay in. My daughter always used to sarcastically say to me when jumping in very early int he day that the pool was "refreshing"-especially if she went in before the solar heating kicked in.
Toto is so much fun! He is our resident charming host, and loves to dance with the guests and give lessons as well while they are visiting us, and I am glad you got to absorb some of his Costa Rican charm. Next time you will have to stay longer and really take advantage of all that our resort has to offer, including the zip lines, the hike in the cloud forest at the Barva Volcano, the Central Market in Heredia, one of the most authentic and oldest central markets in Costa Rica.
Thanks again for taking the time to write so much about your stay.
New York City, New York
Reviewed January 17, 2013

My husband and I just spent three wonderful days at Finca Rosa Blanca. It's a beautiful environment that is welcoming and offers delicious food and great service.The climate this time of year is close to perfect and our room was peaceful and quiet at all times.
I recommend the guide, Manuelo for birdwatching and the coffee plantaton tour.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Deqar DianeB; Thanks so much for your kind words and I am so pleased that we were able to create the magical experience that all of our guests deserve.
Manolo is Mr. Bird- he has a deep and long passion for birds and guiding. He started as a driver with us in 1997 and learned to speak English through listening to the guests he picked up at the airport. Now of course, he is fluent in English and has become our number one naturalist guide. We are very proud of him.
Un abrazo!
Morristown, New Jersey
Reviewed January 16, 2013

This place is a short (25 minute) drive from the San Jose airport but a world away. On a hillside it has nice views, pretty grounds, a serene outdoor restaurant, & friendly staff that gets to know your name almost immediately. Climate is less humid than other parts of the country. The pool is up a steep path, pretty nice, with outdoor & covered areas to lounge. Hot tub is on an upper level making it more private, though it was out of service during our stay. Most food was very good though Christmas dinner menu was limited & uninspired. Lounge/library area in the main house was perfect for reading or playing games. Relaxed walking tour of the coffee plantation across the road was excellent! Leo is a friendly & extremely knowledgeable guide. Recommended for a day or two.

Room Tip: La Ventana was a good choice for us as a couple with one teenager. Second room is small but perfectl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Dear kjsec; Thanks for writing in to Tripadvisor and for your comments. I am very sorry that the Jacuzzi Hot Tub was not working when you were there, we had some problems with the heating element, but it is back and working well again. We try to be consistent in our restaurant, so I am very disappointed that our great chef, Oscar Picado was uninspiring the night you were there, but I am sure if you came back, you would be very nicely surprised, as he is a very creative and dedicated chef, working in the greenhouse every day to make sure he has just the right quality and quantity of greens, spices and flowers to use in his innovative recipes.
Leo is indeed a wealth of information (his nickname is Mr. Coffee) and he loves to tell people about his true passion- coffee.
Thank you for taking the time to write in and let us know about your stay. I hope we can see you again in the near future,.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Barbara
#1 of 1 in Santo Domingo de Heredia
Hotel Buena Vista
Hotel Buena Vista
#3 of 29 in Alajuela

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation & Inn? Share your experiences!