“Excellent - location, rooms, food”

Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Santa Barbara
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed November 22, 2012

This is a very special place to stay - there is a main house with some of the rooms, and then 2 separate villas with more rooms, which can be connected together for a family to stay. Each room, which actually is a suite, is decorated slightly differently and also the layout of each room is different.

We had the suite called "El Higueron" - it was in one of the villas, and the room was beautifully appointed, with a very nice bathroom and a separate area with a day-bed and a small area with the minibar and coffee maker. These villas are an extra 3-4 minute walk past the reception area and the restaurant. Even though it's such a short walk, we were driven there on a golf cart with our luggage on the day we arrived.

The service at the Finca Rosa Blanca was incredible - from the beginning when I e-mailed them and asked about the booking, to reception, restaurant and spa. I decided to have a treatment in the spa and it was the best facial I ever had. They really pay attention to detail here - even the shampoo/lotion/conditioner provided in the bathroom were really luxurious and smelled heavenly.

We were served delicious food - for breakfast we could choose from the menu (even though breakfast was included in our room rate) and the choices ranged from pancakes, omelette, to the traditional Costa Rican breakfast of gallo pinto. Served with fresh fruit and fresh fruit juice - not to mention the excellent coffee!

We tried their lunch as well and also had 2 dinners - all of which were excellent. Great choice of meat or fish, and the service was first class.

The location of the hotel is a bit hard to find and we were certainly glad that we had a GPS in our rental car. When we entered "Finca Rosa Blanca" into the GPS it recognised it and lead us directly to it. However, the road is very narrow and has several sharp turns so you need to be careful when driving. There is a secure parking lot right opposite the reception area.

The gardens around the reception are beautifully landscaped and overall the property has a very luxurious feel.

It is also a good base for day-trips - we only had 1 day so went to the Poas volcano, which is well worth seeing (but you have to arrive there early in the morning to see it before the clouds roll in!). We used our rental car, the drive there took about an hour. Finca Rosa Blanca offers this as a tour with a guide, and they have other trips on offer as well. At the end of our stay we booked a transfer to the internal airport Tobias Bolanos at Pavas, near San Jose. This took about half-an-hour and was very easy.

We would definitely recommend Finca Rosa Blanca and hope to return some day.

Room Tip: All the suites are really nice, look on their website to choose your preferred room based on photos...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Hela1
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2012

Dear Hela1; I am so honored to receive such a great and complete review of our small hotel. It is particularly inspiring for our staff, who are part of our family here, as they pride themselves on their service, attention to detail and their authentic and personal way of integrating with the hotel, the guests and the place. Our Spa is not huge, but the therapists are incredible and are some of the most experienced and sensitive that we know in Costa Rica. We personally are checking their services regularly (somebody has to do it!) and we know how satisfying and complete the massages, treatments and therapies are there. Thanks for pointing this out- I will make sure Pablo and Karina receive a copy of your kind words.
Again, thanks for letting everybody know about your great experience here.

Reviewed November 15, 2012 via mobile

Attention to detail, they make you feel very special, grounds are magnificent, makes you feel you are still in the "jungle" but with all the comforts of home. Perfect for a special occasion - pricey but worth every penny in my opinion

• Stayed: November 2012
2  Thank Saralee78664

Dear Saralee78664; Thank you for writing into TripAdvisor and letting other readers know about your experience. We like to think that it is never about the price, but rather meeting or exceeding one's expectations and leaving them with an unforgettable experience.
I hope to see you next time for some coffee and good conversation.

Reviewed October 25, 2012

There is no doubt about the fact that this is a very comfortable, well-organised hotel. As soon as we parked our car in the parking lot (close to the hotel), the porter came to us to hand over an umbrella. Another member of the staff drove us (!) to our room in one of their golfcarts, which was just about 30 meters ahead. The decadence of it… The waiters will call you in no time by your name, which confused me a little… I don’t know which feeling dominated: did it feel amicable or uncomfortable/strange? The manager was around from time to time, which I think is important. He was friendly, a real gentleman and he came over to talk to us twice. The other members of the staf are very friendly too and many people are working all day to maintain the beauty of this inn.

The rooms have just about everything one can desire, especially when coming straight out of the jungle to recharge. Our room (Las Aves) had it’s own little garden. Each room is different with it’s own advantage. Ours was very pretty with all kind of bird paintings (of course) on the walls. After one week jungle we were happy to give our clothes to the laundry service. It was ready in just a few hours. Close to perfection…

Also the food is, as one might expect, delicious. Breakfast, lunch and dinner is served in their romantic open-air restaurant. I think the best part of our stay was the coffee tour with the Italian Leo. He is like a walking dictionary, this man is unbelievable. Not only he knows everything, he is also a real good story teller with a lovely sense of humour. It was a privilege to have met and listened to him.

Although this is a beautiful place to stay, it is for a certain kind of tourist/visitor. I think we are way too adventurous and far too economical to stay here again. It is expensive and it deserves people that love to hang around in the spa, the swimming pool or get a massage after a half day of sight seeing. People who come to Costa Rica who don’t want to get dirty... Too civilized and proper for us, but still a very nice location and with a great contribution to sustainability. Bravo!

Room Tip: Las Aves is a beautiful room with it's own small garden. The bathroom is 'hidden' in the...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Groenepepi

Dear Groenpepi; Thanks so much for your detailed and sincere review of our hotel and coffee plantation. Unfortunately you didn;t have the time to partake in some of our more adventurous tours, like the climb up to Barva Volcano, only 12 kilometers from us. Depending on your level of activity one can spend all day climbing and trekking in the cloud forest and eventually arrive to a very remote and beautiful lake at the base of the volcano. We offer all kinds of day trips and adventures, from the most passive to the very difficult and I hope next time you come, you will be able to participate in some of these.
Our staff love our guests and remember their names because they want to "embrace" our visitors as part of our family at FRB. And thank you for commenting on our food, we believe in the farm to table approach, using ingredients from our own organic greenhouse, the multitude of fruit from our trees and the creative dishes brought forth by Oscar Picado our chef, all of which add to the end of the day experience.
See you next time for some new adventures?

Reviewed October 17, 2012

After staying at the Finca Rosa 8 months ago with my girlfriend (and now fiance) and having traveled to many places since, I've decided to write a quick review after realizing NOTHING compares to this Inn. If you are looking for a warm and relaxing destination, look no further. The Inn does not have many rooms and we loved that about it. Its not so big that you get lost on the resort and forget what country you are even in. The rooms are amazingly clean and the views from the room are so relaxing and wonderful. They have a terrific restaurant on site and it is a 60 second walk from the rooms. The staff here is SO warm and friendly. They truly make you feel as though you are home and they even get to know you on a first name basis when they see you. At dinner you have the option to eat inside next to a beautiful fireplace or outside where you have a spectacular view. Finca Rosa truly made us understand what life is like outside of technology and the hustle and bustle of our real life. We have never, NEVER been so relaxed and peaceful. We sometimes think back of our last night eating desert in front of the fireplace and remember how happy and relaxed we felt. If you are looking for a wonderful Inn to get away from the fast paced life back home, look no further. We went on tours every day and got back to the Inn in the afternoon giving us enough time to rest before a fantastic and peaceful dinner. I highly recommend the ziplining and Poas volcano tour...you are literally above the clouds at this volcano! We spent four nights at the Finca Rosa and it is to this day our favorite vacation we've been on...and we have been to Paris, London, Heidleberg, Hawaii, Napa, Sonoma, Aruba, Puerto Rico, etc etc etc...nothing compares. Finca Rosa is a hidden gem in this world.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank snardiello
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2012

Dear Snardiello; What a wonderful and stimulating review of Finca Rosa Blanca. I am so moved that you felt the need to write to Tripadvisor after so many months, as this means the experience stuck with you all this time, something we strive for. And you know, when our staff receives a list of achievements and successes in giving our clients the best experience possible, it really makes them feel elated and they feel so proud and rejuvenated. We try to offer the best service, accommodations, food and personalized treatment possible and it is so rewarding to hear your experience included all of these attributes. Spending four days is the perfect amount of time to be here, and as you well know, the tours, activities and down time really have a great symbiosis with the whole experience. Until next time!
Thanks again for really detailing your perspective of your stay here and we hope to see you very soon.

Reviewed October 14, 2012

This place is wonderful. The service was great, and the room was beautiful. The restaurant was very good too. Definitely do the plantation tour - the guide is very knowledgeable and nice, and makes the whole tour lots of fun. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mk1010

Dear MK1010;
Thanks for taking the time to write in to TripAdvisor with your thoughts on our small hotel. We very much appreciate it.. We hope we will see you again soon for a longer stay so you can really get the benefits of all the activities and our central location.

Reviewed October 2, 2012

I stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca at the end of September for the first 2 nights of my 7 night trip to Costa Rica from New York. I had just completed a very long and stressful summer job and managed to fall ill right before my trip. I just wanted to catch up on sleep, feel better, and rest, so that I could do some more adventurous things during the rest of my trip. I found this Inn originally on Trip Advisor while searching for a relaxing place to stay close to San Jose for the beginning of my trip. At the last minute, I booked 1 night (the 2nd one, as I couldn't book same day) and prayed that when I arrived at SJO I could take a taxi and there would be a room available that night.

Upon arrival, Ed greeted me with a big smile and quickly took care of me. He honored the same Trip Advisor rate for the night and also made it so that I could stay in the same room both nights. They quickly prepared the room for me while I had a bite to eat. He gave me some information about the Inn and activities that were available.

The room was perfect. Very clean and with a beautiful view. The pillows were the most comfortable ones I have ever slept on!

The best part about Rosa Finca Blanca is the attention and service you receieve from all of the staff. Ed, Toto, Wilson, Javier, and Barbara at the reception area were all very helpful with any questions that I had. Marvin took amazing care of me in the restaurant for every lunch and dinner and even noticed the first evening that I was ill, and made a very special ginger tea for me. Luis took care of me both mornings for breakfast with a big smile. Miguel, the F&B Manager, was very present and continually checked in on me. Although I only spent 2 nights/3 days, I felt like I knew the entire staff.

All of the food was incredible. It was fresh and all had a great presentation, and of course, the views from the restaurant were incredible!

Pablo, the Massage Therapist was wonderful! I booked a last minute appointment and opted to do the 90 minute Coffee Detox to include a 60 minute massage, coffee body scrub, and mini steam/facial. It was amazing and in fact I think it was closer to 2 hours. I felt great after! I chose this particular one as the massage was meant to drain your system, and given I had a cold, thought it would be a good choice, and it was!

Upon departure, Barbara took great care of me. She helped me with a taxi to the bus station, and gave me some suggestions on where I should visit. I took her recommendation the last 2 nights and went to Manuel Antonio. Boy, am I glad that I did!!

It was so nice to be so well taken care of, as I manage hotels for a living, I pay very close attention to the details and must say that this was the best guest service I have ever received while traveling.

I was also traveling alone, and received such care and attention. At no point did I feel uncomfortable there. Javier gave me some tips on traveling alone in Costa Rica and a card with information and local phone numbers.

A huge kudos to Finca Rosa Blanca and their entire staff. I couldn't thank you more for starting my trip off so nicely!
Wishing you all the best, and hoping to be back in the near future!

Room Tip: The room, El Cafetal, was perfect. Although I did not see the others, this one was located in the ma...
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank kimo384
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded October 5, 2012

Dear Kimo384; Wow, what a great ego boost for us at FRB! All of the staff read this with such smiles on their faces, Ed, Toto, Wilson, Javier, Barbara,. Marvin, Luis and Miguel, the F&B Manager. I also showed this to Karina and Pablo in the spa and they grinned from ear to ear. Your reaction is what we hope every guest will have and we really work hard to make sure the experience is something beyond what they had hoped. Of course, it is easy for the staff to do this, as they love the guests and they all live close by, so it is a kind of pride in their community that also spawns this kind of mega service.
Oscar Picado our chef said to say thank you for your observations about the food, as he is so focused on the fresh food, in season slow food approach to cooking and loves to share the Costa Rican ingredients and cuisine with our guests. he grew up and lives only a couple of kilometers from here, so for him it is showing off his home town recipes.
Again, thanks so much for your kudos and for taking the time to tell us how much you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed September 22, 2012

This is "responsible luxury" at it's finest! Once a barren hillside, tortured by a "motor cross" course, the Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation is now a reforested, lush, tropical hidden jewel nestled in the foothills around San Jose, Costa Rica. Finca Rosa Blanca is a lovely, magical, romantic retreat where you can have all the amenities, and feel good about choosing an environmentally and socially responsible destination…

We know you are addicted to your Starbucks, but here you can have some of the world’s best brew, and its organic too. There are many things for us stewards of the planet to feel good about while we linger at the lovely Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation and Inn. A destination in itself, offering top notch, but unpretentious, accommodations that are some of the most sustainably built structures in the lodging industry. Finca Rosa Blanca includes a variety of energy saving methods, a spring fed, chemical free solar heated pool with its own 16 foot waterfall, a mini rainforest preserve were meandering paths lead you to the hiding places of elegant orchids, 5 star dining including organic and vegetarian offerings coming from their own permaculture gardens… oh, and did I mention the organic, shade grown coffee plantation?

The service provided by the Finca Rosa Blanca staff is personable and first class. The resort makes a great way to "bookmark" any trip into Costa Rica. We traveled in September during the "Green" (rainy) season that wasn't actually as rainy as one would imagine. We arrived at the San Jose airport late into the evening on the first day of our week conducting sustainability reviews for Cayuga Sustainability Management properties throughout Costa Rica.

We were first met by a representative whose sole job it was to whisk us through customs and on to our awaiting Driver / Concierge / Coffee Barista Leo Vernari. Leo conducts coffee plantation tours and will teach you how the experts discern and rate gourmet coffee by participating in a “coffee cupping” (catación) session. It was a short drive through the typico neighborhoods with closely set, metal roof stucco homes on narrow, winding roads filled with locals commuting under their own steam. Leo cheerfully began enriching us with a myriad of information about the area, the culture and Finca Rosa.

A sudden, romantic contrast to the neighborhood streets, we turned through a gated wall into the Finca Rosa Blanca property shrouded in fog and beautiful mystery by night. The rainforest provided a veil, filtering the light rain, but immediately upon arrival, we were presented with umbrellas by the staff. At the Reception Building, the staff welcomed us with smiles and offers of beverages, and immediately went to task arranging all of our departure information since we were leaving the next day to tour other properties. A bellman provided an electric cart to our room, Le Guardia, one half of the Villa Laguna that can be reserved as a larger unit for families or groups.

All of the buildings at Finca Rosa, designed under the supervision of Francisco Rojas Chaves, a renowned architect for his understanding and implementation of sustainable practices, offer a very organic architectural style reminiscent of Gaudi. The undulating curves of the stucco buildings are an elegant fit in the rainforest setting. Carefully chosen building materials include framing timber reclaimed from highway construction, roofing tiles of recycled plastic and bamboo pole ceilings. Each room is unique... whimsical and elegant at the same time. Throughout the property, you are surrounded by fabulous murals depicting the flora and fauna of the region. Mattresses from recycled and organic materials, natural cotton sheets, bamboo towels, low flow toilets, solar powered faucets, and reclaimed material furnishings were selected for use in the rooms. Skylight domes conserve on energy by providing natural daylight and passive ventilation. Hand crafted rain chains help to divert water away from buildings. At 4000 feet elevation, all the rooms have heavenly views of the valley below.

The El Tigre Vestido restaurant on the premises creates nuvo delectible variations on the local cuisine utilizing organic produce from their own gardens and local suppliers. Memorable complimentary breakfasts are offered on the veranda overlooking the shade grown coffee fields and on to the Central Valley below.

The Finca Rosa Blanca property was originally purchased and developed with the idea of creating a socially, architecturally and biologically friendly home on a former “motor cross” field. Later, that purpose evolved to include a center for the interchange of ideas and experiences, and then the Inn to accommodate the guests who could participate in the experiment. We agree that the Inn "continues to be a leader in sustainable tourism, proving that deluxe accommodations and excellent service are compatible with sustainable development", and feel that the owners at Finca Rosa Blanca have achieved their goal "to be a global example of biological, architectural, educational and social responsibility that both enhances tourists’ experiences and develops their social and environmental conscience".

The property has been awarded top honors in the EcoLogic LifeStyle EcoExcellence Award for sustainability practices, along with numerous other awards. We hope this property will serve as a role model to lodging facilities and resorts throughout the world.

Room Tip: The El Ranchito Master Suite is the most secluded in its own casita, so it's perfect for Honeymo...
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ecologiclifestyle

Hola Ecologiclifestyle; What a wonderfully written and considered review. I am so proud to be part of your award where our property has been awarded top honors in the EcoLogic LifeStyle EcoExcellence Award for sustainability practices. It makes me glow when I read about how the sustainability policies that are so dear and important to us are part of the overall positive experience.
As you wrote, the time you spent at Rosa Blanca made you "... feel good about choosing an environmentally and socially responsible destination".

Also, the detail in the descriptions of your experience were so well thought out, profoundly experienced and very pleasing for all of us at Finca Rosa Blanca to read. Thanks so much for really delving into what makes us tick and I hope you will be back with friends!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Barbara
Hotel Monte Campana
Hotel Monte Campana
#1 of 1 in Birri
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
El Silencio Lodge & Spa
#1 of 1 in Bajos del Toro
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Cariari San Jose
DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Caria...
#2 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort? Share your experiences!