Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort
$60
$67
$63
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose(San Antonio De Belen)
$224
$96
TripAdvisor
Morada Kampos(Santa Barbara)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsfinca rosa blancacoffee plantationcosta ricasan joseour honeymoonpoas volcanotwo nightsmaster suiteclose to the airporthot tubthe main housecentral valleyfirst stoplast nightcookiesbeautiful viewbeautiful place
Reviewed June 13, 2011

With the inconsistency of Costa Rican traffic (and roads in general), we wanted to end our honeymoon at a place near the airport. What an amazing choice! Finca Rosa Blanca feels like an entirely different world. You would never know that it's only 20 minutes away from SJO -- maybe even less, we stopped for ice cream. :-)

My husband and I spent two nights here, and it was just the right amount of time. We were able to explore the grounds, have an excellent coffee tour (complete with a tasting), and spend some time in Santa Barbara. I have an even greater appreciation for every cup of coffee that I drink now.

More details: The rooms were gorgeous. Our first, El Guarumo, had tons of character. It was the perfect combination of modern amenities and unique charm. Our last night in the Master Suite was absolutely breath-taking -- maybe not worth the price considering that Costa Rica is full of awesome views. But with that said, I will NEVER forget the last night of my honeymoon: curled up with my husband, canopy sheers fluttering in the cool night breeze, overlooking the lights of San Jose. If you want to feel like you're in a fairytale/romance novel, it's worth the splurge.

The food at the restaurant was delicious. Eggplant lasagna, ginger creme brulee, and the fresh fruit juice were highlights for me. Not to mention the service! Everyone that we interacted with was friendly and thorough when answering our questions.

My husband and I love bed and breakfasts, and Finca Rosa Blanca is at the top of our list.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 19, 2011

Dear PrissyPixie; It is so great that you go to try more than one room, as all the rooms in Finca Rosa Blanca are completely different but all are filled with art, custom furniture and great views of the central valley below. It is so important to get a feel for our commitment to organic shade grown coffee and all that that entails and I very pleased you really got to enjoy the tour and the "cupping" afterward. The view from he Master Suite is of course impressive, especially when you awake to the sun rising behind the Irazú Volcano and see the myriad birds flying in from of your 360 degree view catching their breakfast of insects. Next time you are here you will have to try more of our chef, Oscar Picado's creations as he is truly a master at combining the fresh herbs and spices with the organic produce - all cultivated and picked minutes before serving from our organic greenhouse. Again, thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed June 11, 2011

I had an amazing experience here - the inn and service were personal and customized, down to every detail. The staff and owners, Teri and Glenn, genuinely care about their guests and about environmental sustainability. My friend and I were lucky enough to get a tour of some rooms and we saw that each one was uniquely and carefully designed in detail. Our room, the Rosa Blanca suite, rendered me speechless - the spiral staircase carved out of wood, the unique tub, and the countless little details throughout. The food was deliciously fresh, as it was picked out of their garden, and the coffee - absolutely amazing. I cannot wait to return.

Room Tip: Each room is unique: for couples, try the suite!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank wl487

Dear wl487; Thanks so much for your great comments about Finca Rosa Blanca. We originally built that room for my mother who wanted to "sleep in the clouds" and so we designed it i so it sits 40 feet above the coffee fields below with a 360 degree view of the central valley. You really got the best of what we have to offer and I am so glad it was the experience we hoped it would be. See you next year?

Reviewed May 31, 2011

I absolutely loved this place. I stayed in three different locations while on my honeymoon and thought that it would be impossible to top the first but this place was wonderful. I keep using the words "quaint" and "charming" to describe it but they do not do it justice. I cannot imagine how people have given this place bad reviews, particularly stating that it was depressing and that had they been here on honeymoon they would have "cried every day." As someone who was there on honeymoon I can assure you that no tears were shed (maybe a few when we had to leave!). The staff were all wonderful and the sustainability efforts were impressive and very visible/discussed. These efforts, however, did not impact the comfort or convenience at all, something I was a bit concerned about before my arrival. If I had to find a fault I would say that the room got a bit damp overnight but this was minor and did not impact me much at all.

I would absolutely recommend this place for a honeymoon or any other visit.

Room Tip: We were in La Piedra and loved it.
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2011

Dear Nook225;
I want to personally thank you for writing so candidly and thoroughly about your experiences at Rosa Blanca. A honeymoon is such an important part of your new life together and we try to create a feeling of comfort, quality hospitality (in the real sense of the words), nooks and crannies (your alias is apt here) and romantic corners to enjoy each other's company without the stress of the days that preceded your arriving. As you noticed, we are in the green season right now, and although most of the day is extraordinarily beautiful, sunny and oxygenated, it can get damp in the late afternoon. This however has an upside- it helps us grow the myriad plants and trees that are so abundant and best of all, it helps our organic coffee to bear fruit and then grow perfectly until the harvest in late October.
Again, thanks so much for your great comments and I am truly glad you and you enjoyed your honeymoon at Finca Rosa Blanca.

Reviewed May 24, 2011

We were traveling with nine couples and needed a place in San Jose at both the beginning and end of our Costa Rica visit. Finca Rosa Blanca fit the bill perfectly.

Our arrival was late one Sunday evening, circa 9 pm. The staff was very organized and pleasant, checked everyone in, took the bags to our rooms and gave everyone a moment to clean up.

Next, the 18 of us gathered in a private dining room were we ordered numerous appetizers, cocktails, wines and entrees – all different. Not a single person complained about anything. The food, atmosphere and service was excellent.

In the morning, from my private patio, which most rooms seem to have, I enjoyed watching the sunrise and looking out toward the city skyline and the mountains beyond.

We walked back to the restaurant and ate breakfast outside enjoying the views and sounds of the flora and fauna.

When it was time to catch our transfer, staff was available and accommodating with luggage.

Upon our return about 1 pm on a Saturday, everyone’s room was available immediately. Some were looking for a little rest while others gathered in the bar. Eventually, quite a party broke out and moved toward the pool/Jacuzzi. Again, the staff was incredibly friendly and accommodating to our raucous crowd.

Dinner was a repeat of our first night. Twice the chef and staff pulled off a fabulous meal.

About 4:30 am the next morning, staff was available to help lug bags from our rooms to our transfer. Coffee was available and the kitchen had made everyone a brown bag breakfast to carry on.

I think the negative reviews I have read (which are very few) are generally without merit. Yes, the pool and Jacuzzi may be sad in one person’s perspective, but another would appreciate their private location on the grounds with fabulous views. Rooms could be considered “quirky” but most will appreciate their unique comfort. Not sure I could say anything bad about the staff as everyone we encountered was smiling and helpful. It is not an inexpensive place to stay, but you know that when you make your reservation. It is, in my opinion, worth the price.

I prefer not to have “lay overs” like these nights required in San Jose, but these two evenings were unavoidable. Instead of being a travel inconvenience, Finca Rosa Blanca transformed these nights into an extension of a great vacation.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
ElGrandote, Owner at Finca Rosa Blanca Coffee Plantation Resort, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2011

Dear ROBII: Thanks so much for your detailed review of our hotel- it is always great to have people write about Finca Rosa Blanca who really appreciate our quirkiness, quality and attention to detail. I know how difficult it can be sometimes traveling in large groups and I am really very pleased that everybody in your group enjoyed their stay with us and could take advantage of all the myriad nooks and crannies on our expansive grounds. Next time we hope you will stay several more days when you can really experience all the incredible day trips, tours and other amazing attributes of the Central Highlands and the coffee lands. Again, thanks for your kind words.

Reviewed May 22, 2011

I stayed at Finca Rosa Blanca the night before I was due to fly out of San Jose and it was the perfect location. The Finca has a great view of San Jose in the distance and the rooms are spotless with beautiful original touches. Food was fantastic and I really enjoyed doing a tour of the accompanying plantation - just wish I'd bought a couple more bags of their fantastic coffee to take home!

• Stayed: February 2011

Dear Eileen-I;
I want to personally thank you for writing such a nice review of your stay here. We pride ourselves on the quality of our food- the fresh organic garden on the property where we get almost all of our produce, the fresh variety of herbs and spices we grow next to the restaurant, the choice of seasonal and local produce, tubers and the fresh seafood from the abundant shores of Costa Rica, only one and a half hours door to door. We like the idea of "Slow Food", and our model is the Alice Waters approach to simple, seasonal and fresh. As per the coffee, you can sometimes buy it online from Cafe Milagro, who buys some of our beans for their organic estate coffee, but most of it is sold here at the hotel and to other high quality hotels who want the best quality, organic shade grown certified coffee for their guests. Great symbiosis for us! Next time you come, we'll make sure to stock you up with lots of Finca Rosa Blanca coffee. Again thanks for your appreciative comments.