“New local restaurant to send our guests to”
Review of De Brasserie

De Brasserie
Ranked #3 of 33 Restaurants in Strand
Cuisines: French, European, Belgian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene, Special occasions, Business meetings, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Drinks, Brunch, Dinner, Lunch, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Experience a piece of European grandeur and charm, while enjoying exquisite beachfront views,an unsurpassed inviting ambiance and first-class wining and dining. Our stylish Belgium inspired restaurant delivers exactly what it promises: world-class food, a host of wines (including our own Almenkerk and Lace ranges), luxurious coffees, a beautiful setting and excellent service. De Brasserie menu offers continental inspired cuisine. Enjoy a varied selection of European influenced starters and salads, excellent beef and fresh seafood dishes and exquisite desserts. Our range of dessert wines, teas and gourmet coffees make a perfect end to a fantastic meal.
Strand, Western Cape, South Africa
“New local restaurant to send our guests to”
Reviewed August 20, 2013

Being local guesthouse owners, Gordon's Beach Lodge in Gordon's Bay, we are always looking for new places to send our guests. De Brasserie is only 10 minutes drive from us. The food was outstanding and the service excellent too although you are not there for a quick meal, its an occasion. The Almenkerk Sauvignon Blanc 2011 delicious (made sancerre style) and the cappuccino, with its limoncello liqueur and cream, and cake surprise and chocolate on the side, was a real treat. I think I would go back just for the cappuccino! The menu is definitely more on the pricey side, but you pay for quality.
Of course great views of the Strand Beach and a perfect place for dinner or a sun downer. I will certainly recommend to my guests.

4 Thank Andy S

Somerset West, South Africa
“Very good, almost there...!”
Reviewed August 18, 2013

There have been many rave reviews for this restaurant lately, and indeed, there are many good points, and it is a great addition to the local eating scene. We were a table of 5 last night, and it wasn't very busy, so it was surprising that we found the service a tad slow. The waiters were very friendly, but not very attentive. Most times we had to pour our own wine, a waiter brought us another table's food, and 4 of our 5 mains were not that warm (1 was sent back to be heated uo). The food was delicious, well presented, great combinations of texture and flavour, but the detail let the evening down. We had a bowl of butter, but were never offered bread? My rating would be 7/10, based on the food. Room for improvement for sure. Will certainly return and try other dishes, decor cutlery, stemware all first class! Let's sort out the detail..! Thankyou Joep!

1 Thank Stephen D
Cape Town
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

Coming from a family of chefs and fine dining, I have tried some incredible meals and been to some amazing places, and I must say De Brasserie is one of my favourites. The people, the food, the atmosphere and view create a special dining experience.
Ive read through some of the reviews and customers need to realize you pay for all round quality.

Strand needed a trendy and quality restaurant and De Brasserie delivers!

1 Thank Amy_emmav
Somerset West, South Africa
“A little bit of Belgium in Strand, fab' food, fab' service!”
Reviewed August 15, 2013

I had heard a lot about this place from friends and colleagues, and couldn't wait for the opportunity to try it out. We eventually did, and were not disappointed.

Friends had advised us to book, as the place is packed every night, so I did.
First surprise was that my name (I am Dutch but my first name is Flemish) was spelled correctly (they put a little sign on the table when you book), that must have been a first since I moved to South Africa nine years ago :)

The menu is not huge, but there is plenty of choice and on top of that there are daily specials.
The "moules" starter was delicious and just the way I like them, Belgian/French style plain white wine and herbs, lovely.

Our mains were fab' too, pork loin for my other half and the best kingklip I ever had for me.
Portions a bit big, but that's hardly a thing to complain about.
The French, sorry, BELGIAN fries are to die for, you hardly ever find them like this (except in Belgium/Holland that is) crunchy, tasty, divine.

The wine selection is great, and the owner is there to give recommendations...he should know, as the main wine estate is his and his son is the winemaker.
Again, we were very impressed with the Sauvignon Blanc we had and the red blend, delicious!
As we couldn't face any more food after this, we just opted for espresso's which to our delight were served as proper "café gourmand" = coffee with a little bit of sweetness on the side...a palmier (biscuit), a bit of "advocaat" liquor, a Belgian chocolate and a small slice of cake, delish!
I admire the owners for having started this place at the end of summer, in an untrendy part of the anyway not so trendy Strand, and to manage to have it full day in day out!
Before I forget, whatever you do, do NOT forget to use the bathroom....only place in SA that I know that features "Japanese" toilets...with all the buttons...say no more, just go try it out.

2 Thank FlyingGonzo_10
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Disappointment at De Brasserie”
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My wife and I visited De Brasserie in the early evening several weeks ago. Frankly, my meal was disappointing. I ordered the main course, Stoofvlees, a stew made according to Grandma's recipe. The stew itself was rather ordinary and, since I declined fries, I was served a non-descript side salad and a bowl of mayonnaise! Other aspects of the meal were not great either like the bread and milk- chocolate mousse. (My wife had a better meal, Vol au Vent, but the meat balls didn't add anything to the dish.) Even at that early hour in the dinning room, the noise was loud enough to make conversation with my wife difficult across our small table. Certainly, there is at least one better restaurant in Strand.

• Visited July 2013