“My Surfside experience”

Surfside Restaurant
Ranked #21 of 34 Restaurants in Strand
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Brunch, Full Bar, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Surfside Restaurant, Bistra& Fat Cats Cocktail are situted in the Strand Pavilion Resort ins Strand. The building is over the sea with spectacular views over False Bay. The sunsets are breathtaking!
Paarl
“My Surfside experience”
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Food was not bad but we did choose easy food , not complicated dishes . The waiter and waitresses must have been part of a relay team as we were helped by no fewer than 4 people . Our Calamari was well cooked and so were side orders . Ambience a bit lacking but we were there over a public holiday .

• Visited April 2013

York, United Kingdom
“hardly worth the wait”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

A chum and I visited this place while on holiday in the area. We were pretty much generally disappointed by the lack of choice of places to eat in this part of the Cape Town outer suburbs, paricularly when considering the number of people holidaying here. The beach was packed with folks every day - yet places to eat in the evening were hard to find, and when we did find some, they were mediocre. I have to say, this place was doing brisk trade, and maybe if they are lacking competition, then they don't feel that they need to try too hard. We were offered a table by an amiable and friendly waitress, and then promptly left for at least twenty minutes before being revisited to take an order.When she did come to take our order, I did mention that we thought they must have forgotten us, but the waitress was oblivious to any hint that we were maybe feeling a trifle neglected. We ordered the most expensive bottle of wine on the menu - possibly a hint that we might be worth looking after, but had to wait a further twenty minutes for the wine to arrive at the table, and another twenty or so until our food arrived. During this time, we observed at least one other couple arrive, and then leave because nobody had come to take their order, and this despite an ample amount of staff seemingly oblivious to the fact that customers were sat with nothing in front of them. The wine was quite delicious - the late arriving food, (we chose the seafood platter) rather less memorable.

• Visited March 2013
1 Thank Cato23
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Average food with very outdated furniture & fittings”
Reviewed January 7, 2013

The food at Surfside is quite average for the price that you pay. I ordered a kinglip thermidor which was slightly over-cooked. The service was not bad considering we were a family of 14. What perturbed me more about Surfside Restaurant was that the furniture seemed really old a nd unkempt and the place had a bit of a musty smell.
That being said, the restaurant is in a prime location with beautiful views of the sea and mountains. (the view would however be a million times better if the windows were cleaned regularly)

• Visited December 2012
2 Thank NC07
Johannesburg
“Don't be fooled by the views”
Reviewed March 8, 2012

I was invited for breakfast at this restaurant. The decor is dated and the service is bad. We waited for more than one hour and fourty five minutes for our breakfast to arrive. The food was shocking. The chips looked like it was prepared with old oil and left over from the night before. My dad only got four chips on his plate. I ordered scramble eggs with salmon. When I saw the food I decided that I do not want to risk food poisening and only had toast. I am writing this review to try and prevent anyone from visiting this restaurant and having the depressing experience we had.

• Visited March 2012
1 Thank CuriousMeerkatjie
South Africa
“Avoid at all costs”
Reviewed March 2, 2012

Before you drive all the way out to the Strand only to visit this restaurant please let me give you some info.

Normally I search for reviews on restaurants and look for their websites to at least get an idea of how the restaurant looks like before going there. For the Surfside restaurant I did the same, but could only get one review and no photos of the interior and there is valid reasons for this. I decided to take my wife there for dinner in spite of the bad review only for the sea views.

Even with the low expectations I was still disappointed with the food, atmosphere, interior and service. I won't blame the waiter too much because I think he was still new. Yes, the food is cheap, but you get what you pay for in terms of the lack of quality and taste. This review is for the non-locals only because the locals already know NOT to go to the Surfside Restaurant as we found out afterwards. We will not be returning.

• Visited August 2011