“Grossly overrated”

Ranked #1 of 37 Restaurants in Strand
Cuisines: International, Grill
Good for: Scenic view
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Situated on the beachfront in the Strand, Ben's on the Beach boasts spectacular views across False Bay, towards Cape Town. Veteran award-winning restaurateur Ben, and his wife, Shirley (a former hotel school lecturer), established Ben's in 2004. They have created a stylish yet relaxed venue, where a varied and well-priced selection of dishes is offered. Ben's is one of the few remaining establishments that continues to dry-age meat - the time-honored and superior method. At Ben's you will not find over-priced and under-portioned "haute cuisine". We believe that the new expression "less is more" is gobbeldygook, where food is concerned. We concentrate on the simple yet timeless dishes that diners return to again and again, such as a great steak, fresh linefish, and the ever-popular creme brulee. At Ben's, you will discover generous portions at honest prices. We look forward to your visit ... And then return!
Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

This restaurant is grossly overrated. The 80s decor did not disturb me, but the extremely sour salad dressing and the steak which was nearly well done instead of medium. If you are used to fresh seafood, don't go there.

Reviewed February 1, 2014 via mobile

We read all the reviews here on the top restaurants on the Strand and chose this based on their menu on our only stop in false bay. The food and the service blew away our expectations, considering how inexpensive and informal it is. The fresh smoked snoek fish pate, tempura prawns, NY burger, and moussaka special were all outstanding. A table facing the beach and a couple bottles of wine later we are more than satisfied. Perfect way to end our trip to South Africa and send us home to Amsterdam with fond memories.

1  Thank Nicholas A
Reviewed January 23, 2014

Family down from JHB decided on Ben,s for the evening out. Found the atmosphere very warm, the staff very helpful and the food excellent. Turned out to be a perfect evening out. Even the kids were impressed which does not happen often. The waiter was there when you needed her and always a smile. Food was brilliant and surprisingly great value for money. Highly recommended for a good evening out.

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Me, my wife and friends, had dinner at Ben’s last Saturday. To make a long story short...it was a “super” evening. We have been here before a few years ago and had good memories about the restaurant. But our visit Saturday night was just wonderful. You seldom get an evening in a restaurant were just everything was in place. The location is just perfect..a few meters from the sea. The layout and interior is beautiful and “fresh”.
Our waitress was friendly and well trained. She gave us a rundown of all their specials and could answer all our questions. Myself and the other male in the group, ordered their special, dry aged rump stake. It was done to perfection. The women all had “cape salmon” fish..they could not stop telling us how good it was. ....and then ..the portions were big, with a lot of extras. Because the meal was so big, we did not order any starters or desert, but I can remember that it is very good. We took our own wine and only paid R20 corkage. .. AND TO SUM IT ALL UP, YOU GET MORE THEN VALUE FOR YOUR MONEY.

1  Thank Bankiesa
Reviewed January 21, 2014

For the so well talked about restaurant I was disappointed when I went there for a Mother's day lunch. The waiter was friendly but clearly didn't know what she was doing. We waited for our food for a very long time, two tables that came after us got their drinks and starters before we could get ours, now me coming from a hospitality back ground that is a NO NO. There was no management presence in the restaurant apart from the students who were saving. And finally when we got our food it was nothing but food that you can prepare at home. Very disappointed

ben007007, Owner at Ben's on the Beach, responded to this reviewResponded January 23, 2014

I feel obliged to respond to this review, as I honestly doubt the authenticity and veracity of the content.
The (supposed) meal took place in May 2013, yet the review is only written in January 2014! Furthermore it is rather 'coincidental' that this review comes "hot on the heels" of a 1st time review written for our neighbouring restaurant, ONLY 8 days ago.
What I can state, is that on the day in question, 3 managers and 6 PROFESSIONAL service personnel were on duty - there were NO STUDENTS working. The allegations of the reviewer are frankly.... a blatant untruth.
It is also very strange that the reviewer did not voice dissatisfaction on the day, or at least shortly afterwards -rather than 9 months later?
I cannot comment on the culinary expectations of this reviewer, but I can state that it is our mission to serve uncomplicated, every day food, with pride - and charge accordingly.
I am always prepared to acknowledge positive critique, when it is due- in this case I have my doubts.

Ben