“Requiring serious attention to both detail and service”
Review of Ocean Breeze Hotel

Ocean Breeze Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Strand
Bloemfontein, South Africa
“Requiring serious attention to both detail and service”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

Although the view from the Room was to die for - The rooms were grubby, the food was not really anything to write home about and the Lift worked on occasion and I preferred to walk up the flights of stairs as two differing people had advised that they got stuck in the lift. I was there on a conference and had the pleasure of being at a party in the penthouse one evening - That really was superb in décor and the view stunning - BUT YET REMAINED GRUBBY -In serious need of a cash injection to update and refurbish - The bar was also very expensive in my opinion.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank trevor312564

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Brackenfell, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed October 7, 2013

My husband & I attended a wedding at the restaurant & together with another couple decided to spend the night. The other couple had made a reservation for a room sleeping 4 but was later told they had a second room for my husband & I. When we got there, our room was given to someone else and we had to wait for them to find another room. In the meantime, reception showed the other couple to their room, only to find that it was not the 4-6 sleeper they were expecting. Instead the room only had one bed and a bathroom with a mini-fridge, not even a couch to sit on. We were eventually given a studio apartment style room, but the decor looked nothing like the rooms advertised on the website. It was sufficient to spend the night in it. It was clean and tidy and well-equipped. We later discovered that all the rooms have individual owners and the hotel only serves as managers for the property. Hotel management service was sloppy and could improve.

The following morning we decided to get some breakfast before we left and ended up staying in the restaurant the entire day!! We stayed for the lunch special as well and we were quite impressed with the food. We received wonderful service from our waiter. Our experience at the restaurant more than made up for the disappointment we experienced at the hotel. And despite all that, we will definitely go back, but will deal with the owners of the room directly.

Room Tip: find out if it possible to deal directly with the owner of the room you are reserving.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Megan C
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I took my husband for his birthday to Ocean View Hotel. When we made the reservations they told me that there is a new owner, so I didn't know what to expect.

When we came there we had great service and the staff was very kind and helpful.
Our room was clean and the view was amazing!
The food was very good.

I will refer this hotel to anyone now that there is a new owner.

Congrats to Ocean View job well done!

Kind Regards
Mr & Mrs Niemand ( AJ Oils cc )

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnnaMarie N
Leigh-on Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 21, 2013

After a few days here my friend and I were referring to the place as "Fawlty Towers"-albeit without a Basil.Enough said?Admittedly,we did have spectacular views of the titular ocean as well as mountains and the rooms were clean,though a little tired, and the beds comfortable.Staff were all very friendly and helpful,especially those in the bar and restaurant.However,reception staff were straight out of the T.V. Torquay mould.We asked for a second key to our suite and they had a duplicate made except they copied the key to an entirely different room.My wife telephoned with important family news on several occasions-once they informed her that there was no one of my name staying with them,on another that my group had left when we had not!Other members of our party had their belongings moved to another room whilst we were we out for the day.
But the views and position made up for these upsets.I just wouldn't go back.Oh!Okay I would for that view.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Simon H
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 4, 2013

My husband and I really looked forward to time away with our toddler for the weekend and the fact that we were on the beachfront made us even more excited.

Check in time was at 2 and we decided to rather check in an hour later to avoid having to wait too long well to our surprise we ended up having to do just that. We got to the Hotel after 3 and when we checked in our hotel room wasn’t ready so they sent us in to have complimentary coffee in their restaurant while they bring the key down, well we ended up waiting 30 minutes for our key which was fine, the frustrating part was getting to our room which no one at reception even directed us to, we had to find our own way. They didn’t really prep our room they basically just made the bed and put coffee and tea in. the bathroom didn’t have towels nor soap or showergel.

So we found that our tv didn’t have a remote and my husband phoned to get one, the reception said they will send it up but when housekeeping came to bring the towels they said they don't have a remote for room 103, so every time we wanted to change channels or change the volume we had to get up to do so.

Apart from that the hairdryer was broken since Friday afternoon I phoned reception to send another one up, they kept on telling me someone will come now, my husband eventually went down to get it and they told him they don't have spare ones left the same happened with asking for a double adapter plug, they kept on saying they will send someone until we eventually went down to get one ourselves.

Above everything the kettle they gave us were mouldy and rusted inside never the less dirty with marks on, they replaced this with a new one, but still why did they wait for us to complain first.

The noise levels at night were terrible, it sounded like people were shouting in the passages.

Our stay was really terrible and to be honest I am truly disappointed in the manner in which they treated us!

When i emailed them to complain about how terrible their service is all they responded was that they are sorry that such small things spoiled my holiday. Firstly it wasnt one small thing, it was just terrible service from their side, thats it..

Room Tip: Do not stay in room 103! no remote and a broken window
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Chandre-CPT
Velddrif, South Africa
Reviewed March 15, 2013

The photo's on the website is really misleading. The guy at reception was very unprofessional and we received no welcome, no information regarding breakfast times or anything else. Thinking that we might find all information in the room, was also to no avail. No information ledger in the room. The couch in the room was torn and bleached. No remote control for the TV. No coffee mugs. Found a dirty saucer in the cupboard. The neighbour next door is a permanent occupant who decided 06h30 this morning to water his plants and wash his balcony. Water was swept over the balcony and the broom was knocked against something over and over. No sleep possible after this. The breakfast and restaurant staff is the only positive point in this establishment.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Travelers are raving about these Strand hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 3, 2013

Had a great experience here... Lovely people who couldn't do enough for us. The penthouse is really worth experiencing. Would recommend it highly. Food was great and the breakfast was cooked exactly how we liked it.

Room Tip: Try the Penthouse, great views and value for money.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Strand
Krystal Beach Hotel
#5 of 6 in Somerset West
Loddey's Guest House
Loddey's Guest House
#1 of 15 in Strand

Been to Ocean Breeze Hotel? Share your experiences!