“Amazing adventure!”

Tanama River Adventures
Ranked #2 of 9 things to do in Utuado
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Food available for purchase, Lockers / storage, Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities
“Amazing adventure!”
Reviewed August 17, 2014 via mobile

My boyfriend and I researched a bunch of excursions online and finally decided on this one due to the reviews. And we were not disappointed one bit! We chose the 5th option I believe, it included a hike, a 250 ft rappel, tubing down the river, and even a little cliff jumping! Not to mention checking out the amazing caves that were riddled with bats and other critters. Derec was an amazing tour guide, the passion and love he has for the land is shown through the entirety of the trip. He was extremely knowledgeable and answered every question that was asked by the group. After a long day of trekking through the river and hiking through the caves, we ended our day with a home cooked authentic Puerto Rican meal that was absolutely delicious!! I wanted to grab a second helping but I had to put the fork down and walk away. It was an amazing experience that we will remember forever! So yes, if you are visiting Puerto Rico I would highly recommend this tour, it will not disappoint!

Bloomington, Indiana
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Excellent experience.”
Reviewed August 16, 2014

Our family of four (2 adults and our 8 and 10 year old) signed up for Tour #2, but for some reason the tour guides gave us Tour #3, which was still great, but I didn't prepare my kids we would be rappelling and they were a little disappointed we didn't do any rock sliding. I also saw later that the tour I paid for was more expensive than the tour we got, but we had an amazing time and it was overall so much cheaper than our zip lining tour from San Juan, that I didn't complain. We had a great time and saw some amazing sights. The home cooked meal at the end was one of the best meals we had on our whole vacation. I also liked the attitude and philosophy of the tour guides.

Visited July 2014
Charlotte, North Carolina
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“What a Great Trip and Amazing Company!”
Reviewed August 14, 2014 via mobile

This is a great company if you love a little adventure. My 5 year old niece did this so it's not too strenuous but also not for the faint of heart. We were a group of about 10 people and we absolutely loved our adventure. We even did it as an excursion on a cruise ship and had no problem getting back in time. The cave tubing was amazing as was the canyon trekking. It's so beautiful and a part of Puerto Rico not many tourists get to see. If you love eco tourism, this is for you. And this is the company. They LOVE this part of the country and have dedicated their lives to it. That love shows through. What a great group!! Just go!

Visited July 2014
1 Thank Travelqueen28214
New Orleans
3 attraction reviews
“Amazing Trip”
Reviewed August 14, 2014

The Tanama River was one of the highlights of our trip. We chose the 250 ft repel option, but there were many other choices. After repelling, there was a Tarzan swing and we walked through the river seeing caves and enjoying nature. The guides were always aware of what was going on and knew when to help, but never intrusive. At the end of the trip, we were treated to the best home-cooked, Puerto Rican food. They were very well trained, patient, and very knowledgable about the area. We not only had an exceptional adventure, with repelling and a Tarzan swing, but we learned about the community and history of the area. This company also contributes a large portion of their profit directly into the community by supporting local farms, artists, and other vendors. I would recommend this trip for anyone who wants an adventure, and it is suitable for most ages as they have many different options, although young children might not be able to walk through the river easily. All in all, it was a great trip and I highly recommend it and our guides, Derec, Hurricane, and Fernando.

Visited August 2014
Los Angeles, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Experience of a Lifetime”
Reviewed August 8, 2014 via mobile

In browsing several outdoor adventures to partake in while visiting Puerto Rico, last minute I decided upon Tanama River Adventures...I was Not disappointed! Our guide Derec made sure that our tour was not only exhilarating, but brought cultural awareness to the surrounding area and the Taino Indians that once inhabited the area. Although I had my heart set on doing option #5 (which I believe is only conducted on Sundays and includes body ratfing, a 240' repel, as well as a Tarzan swing) #4 was the next best available option. We were able to repel from 120', but our tube experience was cut short due to the debris left by the recent flash flood. The highlight of the experience was when we were allowed to freejump from the cliffs into the river! We started at about 15', but the real excitement came on the backside of the cliff which put us around 30'!!! After our adventure we were treated to a home cooked meal! Depending on what your level of excitement requires I'm assuming you can't go wrong with any option. My tip would be wear clothing you don't mind getting wet. You also need a shoe that provides good traction as you will be climbing various surfaces from slippery mud to rocky terrain; and one you can submerge in water. I'm grateful I was able to partake in this once in a lifetime experience! Advice that well take you far, "I can tell you were to walk, but I can't walk for you," Derec.

1 Thank Jamall S