“Worth it for the view and atmosphere on a nice day”
Review of El Fogon de Abuela - CLOSED

El Fogon de Abuela
Cuisines: Caribbean
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2013

The restaurant is good local PR food. Majority are locals rather than tourists. The setting is beautiful...a short boat ride on a small man-made lake and you eat at an outdoor patio. Service was friendly but slow but hey, it's PR, plus we weren't in a hurry, so no issue. Food was tasty with good variety though over-priced. You are paying for location as well. Sangria was really excellent and a reasonable price at $5 per glass.

Don't go late...we arrived earlier than expected...11:00 at the boat launch and it was fine but when we returned about 2pm, there were a lot of people waiting to get a boat to a restaurant.

If you are inclined, check out the Cueva Ventana, which is 10 min away first (and early), then follow-up with relaxed lunch. It makes for a nice but interesting day trip.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

Once you get to the marina on the Lago dos Bocas you pick which restaurant you want to eat at and then you board that pontoon boat. The boat ride out to the restaurant was beautiful even in the rain(about a 10 minute ride each way). The restaurant is open air with amazing views of the lake. Our server was very nice and had great recommendations. The pina coladas, sangria and mojitos are very delicious. Our group order a bunch of different plates and we shared all of them. I ordered the chicken mofongo with the island mojito sauce( red tomato sauce) which I really liked and my best friend order the beef mofongo with the brown sauce and I loved that one and she liked hers and loved mine. My husband ordered the fried pork meat and he being from Mexico really wished he had tortillas but it had great flavor ( he would eat everything with tortillas if he could). There was also the shrimp mofongo with garlic sauce and the Puerto Rican sampler and those were very good as well. I think we were all in a food coma on the boat ride back so it was very relaxing. We would definitely eat here again.
from C.C. Texas

Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Loved this restaurant!!! The exquisite food took a bit long to get to our table, but it was well worth the wait. And considering the location, we found the prices reasonable. The views are fabulous, the place is very relaxing, and we were happy with the way were treated. The house drink is out if this world. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed July 27, 2013

We have been in El Fogon de Abuela several times, and trust me if you love Puertorican food, this is the place to visit. Everytime my wife and I had a wonderful time. The restaurant is located in a beautiful spot in Dos Bocas Lake (Lago Dos Bocas). The owner offer free transportation on a boat to the restaurant. The boat trip is wonderful, the view and the whole scenery is beautiful.....just breathtaking.

We are big fan of Puertorican food and I must say that the food at Fogon de Abuela is extremely good. If you love Sangria, let me tell you...the best one we ever had in a restaurant.

And don't forget coffee and dessert...they offer wide variety of custards (flanes)...my favorites....pumpkin and coconut !!!!!

Reviewed June 30, 2013

The trip to the restaurant is 70% of the experience. A scenic drive up the mountains to the Dos Bocas lake, then a boat trip across the lake to one of the restaurants, in this case El Fogon de Abuela. The service was friendly, the view was pleasant from our table looking across the lake, the ambiance is rustic, the food is typical Puertorican country cooking. The whole experience is worth getting off the beaten track. It's the country, so remember to relax and slow down, not a place to be in a hurry.