Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
Parador Villas Sotomayor(Adjuntas)(Great Value!)
$140
$135
Hotels.com
$161
Hyatt.com
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmorning yoga classceiling fanyoga roompuerto ricobeautiful mountainsget away from it allno air conditioningrooms are basicpeace and quiethiking trailssmall poolold san juanforestcordilleraaccommodationsmountainsidepr
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 8, 2009

My husband and I traveled to Casa Grande with 12 other yogis for a week long yoga retreat, and it was wonderful. Our plan included all 3 meals and lodging, and every meal was a delight. We all especially enjoyed the plantain lasagne - we could have eaten that every night!! The plantain soup, fried plantain, boiled bananas, stir fried tofu, tilapia with either creole sauce or garlic sauce, all were superb. Dinners were especially nice, but breakfast and lunch were tasty as well.
Steve is the host, and tries to please. Jose is one of the employees and also the tour/hike guide for an added fee, and worth it.
Toupeno is the resident greeter (dog), and very friendly.
The yoga studio is wonderful with a tin roof. When it rains, it's just magical. The hammacks at each room are so nice to read in or take a nap! The rooms are not big, but are very doable. The beds are OK - no problem falling asleep, and the night sounds in the rain forest are sleep inducing (except for the rooster who crows 24 hours a day). There is an over head fan in each room.
The fresh water pool is cool, but feels good after a hot hike.
There is not much around this retreat so buy provisions in Utuado to take with you to the retreat, and plan on spending all your time there. If you drink, buy your liquor in San Juan or Utuado, although there is a bar at the retreatThe grounds are so lush and beautiful.

• Stayed: May 2009
3  Thank KyBoop
Reviewed June 7, 2009

This was my wife and I's second stop on our trip to Puerto Rico... we were looking for a unique experience, and we definitely got it. We were very satisfied with our stay, and (I, at least) enjoyed the challenge of the drive to get there!

Pros:
Rooms - We had Room 4, which has one of the best views. The bed was uncomfortable, but the hammock on the porch was great! Hot showers, and good sized room. The lack of air conditioning wasn't a problem at all, and we stayed there in June!
Food - We found our meals (dinner and breakfast) very delicious. I'd definitely recommend the meal plan. The service was good, although there was some confusion about the bill... it took the server quite awhile to bring us the bill, when we did get it, he didn't explain that we just had to sign it and it would be applied to our room.
Grounds - Casa Grande is a truly fascinating place. The grounds is loaded with plants from all over the world. Beautiful and lush.
Staff - very friendly.

Cons:
Bed - very uncomfortable beds... I really wish they'd upgrade the beds. I hate to say something this negative about this place, but our bed was simply painful.

Other Notes:
I think if you read the reviews on this site you'll realize that you aren't going to be staying at the Hilton... this place is an experience, not a luxury hotel, and it's an experience you'll be grateful for having if you go into it with that mindset!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank zrooster99
proprietor44, owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2009

After reading this review I checked the bed in Room #4. It was firm all around and in the center. I've installed firm beds in all guest rooms as I believe a firm bed provides the best back support. Unfortunately, this degree of firmness doesn't suit everyone's taste. Sorry about that.

Reviewed May 30, 2009

The location is breath taking...if you are looking for a relaxing retreat this is the place for you. The rooms are sparsely furnished-reminiscent of a summer camp which was fine with the exception there is no good place to set anything in the bathroom or really in the bedroom either. I found the bed and pillows in need of replacing (not much life left in them) but we spent very little time in our room/cabin. The outdoor views were breathtaking and I would definitely stay there again, but probably bringing my own pillow.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple
proprietor44, owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2009

We're in the process of upgrading the guest accommodations. We're installing a four basket closet organizer for easy storage of clothing and personal items in the bedroom. We're also replacing the very small wall mounted bathroom sink with an attractive European style overhang sink, cherrywood vanity and matching mirror. It has the effect of transforming the bathroom into a very attractive space. These changes will provide more areas for the guest's belongings.

We'll check on the pillows and beds as we haven't had a complaint in quite some time. The mattresses were replaced not many years ago . It's much easier to address issues like this when the guest tells us about it during the stay so we know which room is the subject of criticism. Nevertheless, we appreciate the feedback.

Reviewed May 25, 2009

My husband and I visited Casa Grande with our non-mobile 11 month old,a nd had a wonderful time. The drive was as expected, per others descriptions. We stopped in Utuado to stock up on a few baby supplies and snack items. They do not serve lunch at Casa Grande, and your options are quite limited if you are not touring the area.
We were a bit disappointed with the hiking options: there is only a written description for a 2 hr hike that basically stuck to paved roads through the local village. It was pretty, but not a woodsy hike that we were hoping for. There was no mention of a guided hike with Steve, although I heard you could pay extra for that. Not interested.
I did yoga one morning with Steve, which was great--the studio is fantastic and worth a peak.
The food was good--nothing incredibly exciting, but enjoyable sitting out on the terrace., and a nice bar.
As for traveling with a young child: the staff was very accomodating to us and our daughter, but she was also very well-behaved. She sat and played quietly during meals, was not yet crawling, so was content to just sit. She fell asleep quickly, and napped long and hard, and slept quietly all night, so I don't believe she disturbed the other guests at all. You can hear talking in the other rooms, and if she had been crying I would have been more worried. If she had been mobile I would have been much more nervous about her in our room, as the balconies are a big drop off to the ground. The pool was a little chilly for her, but she enjoyed it nonetheless.
The highlight for me was a hot-stones massage with Helene. I have had many massages, and this was the best massage ever. She is very talented and experienced, and it was incredible. I convinced my husband to get one as well, and he loved it.
All in all, very relaxing, lovely sweet little place.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed May 7, 2009

My husband and I visited this property last year and I forgot to write a review at that time. However, after reading several negative "nit-picking" reviews, I feel that I must respond. This property is somewhat remote...several hours drive from San Juan, so our expectations were realistic regarding the accommodations...actually they exceeded our expectations. Cottages, each composed of 4 separate units, are situated among beautiful, meticulously maintained gardens, surrounded by a rainforest for as far as you can see. The rooms were small, but adequate with minimal but tasteful furnishings. There was some noise in the early evening hours from the road, however, at night it was dead quiet. Of course, if the place was loaded with party animals, the experience would be quite different but lets be realistic. The food and service at the restaurant was what you would expect from a country lodge, OK, but not 5 star. We found
the staff to be polite and accommodating. It is hard to believe that the complaints are justified. This is not a hotel...and to expect the same amenities as a hotel is naive to say the least. Book a room at El Convento, like we did after our stay at the Casa Grande. Then open up the discussion regarding value vs pricing.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple