“We want to return!!”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Utuado
Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Utuado
GreenLeadersSilver level
San Juan, null, Puerto Rico
“We want to return!!”
Reviewed November 27, 2013

This is a charming place with a breathtaking view of the mountains that surround it. The food and service is very good. Perfect getaway if you want to disconnect and relax yourself. His owner has a little piece of Heaven in earth. Definitely, we will return!...

• Stayed November 2013
1 Thank Jeannie R

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
New Smyrna Beach, Florida
Reviewed September 22, 2013

I thought carefully before writing this review. I want to present the honest truth of my several day stay, with my girlfriend. Imagine you pull up to a place that is situated in a very wonderfully remote location. Although it is just a few miles from town it takes about 20 minutes to get to Utuado. Upon checking in around 7 at night we were informed that the restaurant was closed. With all local establishments being closed as well. They were gracious enough to let us have some overpriced bread and beer. They were serving a very limited breakfast, fruit and yogurt and granola. As they were remodeling the kitchen. Construction work started around the same time the coffee was served.

The room was less than sparse. It was a bed, uncomfortable at that. Several pieces of wood fashioned as tables attached to the walls and a quite dirty chair. As others have stated there are no accommodations in the room. None. A single ceiling fan was the source of air movement. The room was very humid.

Imagine poorly constructed and poorly painted wood walls, no sound barrier. You can hear the snores, foot steps and chatter of the other guest in the 4 plex cabin. Each cabin is divided by squares. On the porch there is a hammock and two chairs.

During our stay the second night there was a water problem. Imagine hiking in the caves, think guano, and not being able to shower upon your return. Nor could you flush the toilets. Upon notifying them they did turn the water on in the morning, as the staff go home at 8 or 9. I spoke with the owner fully expecting that he would discount my stay. He didn't. He told me a story of how it happened to him once in New York. He did comp our $15 breakfast. If you are a coffee drinker as we are be prepared. Bring your own everything. Seriously. Think camping style at $125 a night.

I am sure if you love taking Yoga classes as they offer them for $12 a person in "the temple" it is an amazing place to practice.

Rules, did I mention the rules. Oh my they have a rule for everything. They have more rules than amenities. Basically you cant do anything. There is a long list on your door of what you may not do.

I have travelled to many places, I have stayed in ECO and green boutique and retreat hotels in the jungles of Costa Rica, in the Everglades. This is not a eco or green hotel it is a very budget conscious hotel that uses the idea of wellness to get you to pay and justify there controlling nature. It is not a retreat. Unless you think rules, poor uncomfortable and budget accommodation, poor water management and beer and bread and the sounds of construction are a retreat.

No Bueno!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ShanePorter
proprietor44, Owner at Casa Grande Mountain Retreat, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
We always feel badly when the guests' expectations are not met.

The evening of the reviewer's arrival, we served them the local beer, Medalla, @ $2 per can and Heinekin @ $3 per bottle along with some local bread, pan criolla, without charge.

The mattresses are medium to firm and to the liking of most of our guests. In the room with one queen bed there are three tables attached to the walls and a wall cubby for storage. There's also a clothes pole with shelf above, a large mirror and a nicely framed colorful poster from one of the municipalities annual festivals. The bathroom has a European style vanity and sink, a walk-in shower with a dispenser of body wash/shampoo.

We draw water from the mountain on the other side of the valley. A large tree fell across and broke the 2" pipe around dusk and we were unable to repair the damage until the next morning. When the reviewer checked out he told me of the inconvenience and I offered to waive the charges for breakfast. He found that acceptable and made no request for any further adjustment.

All the rules are designed to enhance the guest experience and provide a safe and healthy environment.
San Juan, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 16, 2013

For my birthday, we decided to get away from our work, stress and worries of life in the city of San Juan and headed to paradise, in the mountains of Utuado. We couldn't have picked a better place to go, Casa Grande is truly a retreat. We relaxed and napped in our hammock, surrounded by huge mountains, enjoying the sound of the river nearby and the cool breeze. Even though I had done my research and had read all the wonderful reviews here in tripadvisor, we were just so impressed by the peacefulness of the place, the care and maintenance they give to the facilities and gardens, the cleanliness of the rooms, the friendliness of the owner and staff, the restaurant, the pool... We just loved it all. We were there for 3 days and 2 nights on the first week of September and we didn't want to leave. I took the yoga class with Steven on the morning of my birthday and it was just what I needed to start off my day with a clear head, relaxed and at the same time feeling balanced and empowered. During our stay, we did all our breakfasts and dinners at Casa Grande. Portions at breakfast are big, two can share most plates (loved the farmer's hash!) and fruit and veggies are so fresh! We were told some of the fruit is from trees on the premises and other was bought from nearby farmers. For dinner they have a different fish each day and the menu has something for everyone at very reasonable prices. We enjoyed everything we ordered. They only do breakfast & dinner (by reservation), but you can order a sandwich or salad in the morning and they will save it for you for lunch. We were so full after breakfast (around 10am) that we just skipped lunch, enjoyed the pool, went exploring the trails and scenery nearby. We drove for about 5-10 minutes on the main road and stopped for some empanadillas in one of the many local stands you will see with beer/refreshments and fried snacks. After that, we went back to Casa Grande to take a shower and have an early dinner at 5:30pm.

Since the place is pretty secluded, and we wanted to make the most of our time there, we planned activities around the area for before check-in time (3pm) and after check-out time (12pm on the last day). That way we had more time to enjoy our peace and quiet in Casa Grande. On the day of check-in, we visited Caguana Ceremonial Park in the morning and had lunch in a local café, and after we checked out of Casa Grande, we went to the Arecibo Observatory. Both places are great.

We are definitely going back to casa Grande, maybe another mini vacation next year, and would definitely recommend it for people who enjoy nature, especially couples like us, who are looking to relax away from everything. We want to thank Steven and his staff for making us feel so well taken care of during our stay. :)

Room Tip: We stayed during weeknights and there were not many guests at the time. Although we were assigned ca...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank barbmcava
Newberg, Oregon
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We were in Puerto Rico for 2 weeks planning everything by the day. Found this place in frommers guide decided to check it out and we were so happy that we did. The place was so tranquil and the staff was very helpful we ended up staying 2 nights and didn't want to leave would diffidently go back.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Corozal, Puerto Rico
Reviewed September 11, 2013

I can't really explain the beauty of this place. We arrived at night time and there is not that much lighting around the area but you can still admire the beauty of the place. You can hear the river running from the cabins. It was so peaceful and so fresh. If you are thinking to arrive after 9pm, you have to call them and let them know, so they leave you the instructions of how to get to your assigned cabin and how to do check in the next day. We loved the room! Woody ceiling, no AC, no TV, beautiful bathroom, and peaceful colors. THERE IS A HAMMOCK ON THE BALCONY! We enjoyed a glass of wine and from the hammock the first night. There is so much beauty during the morning. If you think that the place is beautiful at night time, wait until the morning, the surrounding green mountains and vegetation are so powerful! You gotta see the mist covering the mountains and the fresh air everywhere. They have a restaurant for breakfast and for dinner. No lunch. The food from the restaurant is good. I loved the dinner the most. The pool area is pretty and peaceful. This place is fascinating and I am glad that I had the opportunity to enjoy it for three days. Everything was VERY CLEAN and people were polite. This is a must do! Here are some pics!

Room Tip: Room Orquidea 10....ours was not that one but the view was amazing and it is the most isolated one...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LilaLibre
Caguas, PR
Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a clean and quiet hotel. This hotel is far from the metro area. The closest to a store is like 20 minutes. If you are looking to party or have kids I do not think this place is for you. It is call a retreat hotel for something. I think this warning is really important because its the key to either loving it or hating it.
What I love about this place was the great view it has nearly everywhere in the hotel of the mountains of Utuado. The pool is fill with fresh water from the mountains and has a great view. I didn’t have dinner in the restaurant, but I did have breakfast and it was really good. I recommend the ham omelet or the fruit plate. But the best part of this place is the yoga at 8:00am. It is in a room they call the temple, it has windows all around it and it feels like you are doing yoga with nature. The class is given by Steven, who is also the owner.
I would recommend that you bring your own soup because the one in the hotel is liquid soup from a dispenser. I stay in the room 14 Toronja complex. I saw other rooms and think that the Toronja complex is one of the best, it does not have a view, but I really like it.

Room Tip: Toronja complex is the best one. They do not have AC, but it is not necessary Utuado has a nice tem...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank cristal2004
Mayaguez, Puerto Rico
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

If you want peace, relaxation and forget your troubles this is the place. Very nice location surrounded by nature you will hear occasionally a car go by the road down. Food was surprisingly pleasant and the location of the dinning area makes the experience even better.

• Stayed September 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Utuado
Parador Villas Sotomayor
#1 of 1 in Manati
Dorado Beach, a Ritz-Carlton Reserve
Condado Vanderbilt Hotel
Copamarina Beach Resort & Spa

Been to Casa Grande Mountain Retreat? Share your experiences!