Casa Grande Mountain Retreat
Parador Villas Sotomayor(Adjuntas)(Great Value!)
$140
$119
$142
$127
$161
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsmorning yoga classceiling fanyoga roompuerto ricobeautiful mountainsget away from it allno air conditioningrooms are basicpeace and quiethiking trailssmall poolold san juanforestcordilleraaccommodationsmountainsidepr
FilterAll languages
Reviewed June 11, 2012 via mobile

This review is belated. My husband and I stayed here on our third anniversary. We had originally booked for only one night as we were trying to keep our costs down. After experiencing a magical puerto rican mountain night with all its smells and sounds in such a clean and beautiful room we promptly asked the next morning to extend our stay to another night which was accommodated in the same room. We loved swinging on the hammock listening to the surrounding nature. The breakfast and dinner there was very good quality. There's not too much around that stays open surrounding this area so this was the most convenient and delicious option. We enjoyed talking with the owner and sharing background stories. We definitely would love to come back and almost certainly will. Perhaps sooner than later. I still look back on those two nights longingly almost a year later.

• Stayed: August 2011
4  Thank Reidfidleir
Reviewed June 5, 2012

We visited San Juan and Fajardo before staying for two nights at the Casa Grande Retreat. We enjoyed everything: the scenic area exploring the river basin, the delicious dinners, the quiet, breeze swept rooms, the after dinner games of Pictionary (which were so loud that we were told to quiet down), the dips in the pool and the wonderful morning yoga session.

The best place on the island.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank MU25
Reviewed May 27, 2012

As local residents (well, my husband is from Italy), we are simply astonished by the beauty of this place! You're coming here to leave the city and the everyday touristic stuff behind you, 'cause this is nature in its purest form; the rooms, and the sheets (never seen them whiter) are super super clean; beautiful gardens, fruit trees, singing birds, coquis, and a river, surround the property. We are leaving tomorrow but can't wait to return. Sleeping with the sound of the river, waking up to singing birds, and the mountain view are priceless. Getting here is a piece of cake if you follow the printable directions from their website; no way you can get lost (we arrived via the San Juan route). And the food......WOW! A bow to Chef Mike; the flavor combination...and that breakfast...

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Velmarie
Reviewed May 26, 2012

My husband and I were invited to Casa Grande by a good friend, who goes on retreat there regularly as an antidote for his high-stress professional career. It was paradise! The botanical gardens enveloped us with glorious tropical flowers and their lovely perfumes. The
mountains wrapped their jungle arms around us, and tucked us in at night to the songs of the
little frogs -- "coqui, coqui, coqui!" The hammock was perfect for prone yoga. The food was
tasty and fresh, and cooked and served by the sweetest people in the world. Matter of fact, the
whole place is owned and operated by genuinely wonderful, interesting, caring and heart-driven
people. Casa Grande is lovely, off the grid, eco-friendly and feels a little like a home in heaven.

Room Tip: The cabins that are higher up the mountain feel like you're living in bananas.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank anni p
Reviewed May 26, 2012

Simply put, this is an amazing place! The highlight of my trip to Puerto Rico was swimming at the base of a waterfall at the end of a nature hike from Casa Grande. Besides this, I loved the following things about the place:

*The pool was absolutely the most refreshing that I have ever encountered.
*The owner/staff were so pleasant -- I felt like we were friends by the end.
*The small size (20 rooms) meant that it was easy to meet people (a plus for traveling alone like I was).
*Morning yoga class was peaceful and informative (I was a complete beginner).
*The nature hike with Jose & a couple from Boston was awesome.
*The restaurant served delicious food & drinks (don't miss having a pina colada!).

Besides these things, the retreat offers a wide variety of well maintained flowers & other plants. There are a many types of birds there as well.

The drive to the retreat is best done during the day and in good weather. The roads are narrow with many turns, but I really had fun and enjoyed the drive -- I found that to be another big plus.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo