“Well worth it!”

Ranked #1 of 11 things to do in Utuado
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed February 3, 2013

You know you had a fun time when days later you're still talking about the experience! I'm going to echo the sentiments of the rest of the reviewers - the guides (ours were Jorge, Paul and Ahmed) were extremely focused on our fun and safety. The pride they have in their heritage is very evident. I really enjoyed learning more about their organic farming methods, too.

The day was very full. Our adventure started off sitting in the back of a pick up truck going down a steep, muddy road. Then we walked over a swaying, suspended bride over the Tanama river. Not only did we do 6 zip lines, we also rappelled. The added bonus was the guides acted as naturalists as well. The boat ride through the cave looking at the stalactites and bats was a wonderful ending. I recommend putting this on your "don't miss" list - we were 6 adults and all of us thought the trip was well worth it.

1  Thank Debra A

Reviewed January 22, 2013

You know that part at the beginning of a rollercoaster ride when you are climbing a steep hill and you can't see the road ahead of you until you are at the top with your nose pointing down? Well, the driveway to this place is longer than a mile, and appears to be only wide enough for one vehicle. There is a sign instructing you to honk your horn as you blindly reach the top of the hill at a speed fast enough to make it to the top without rolling backwards. Imagine my panic as I discover that Allied has rented me a car with a broken horn. I could not alert potential oncoming traffic of my presence, and if there had been oncoming traffic I couldn't imagine us both fitting on the road. If I had known the danger of turning on that road, I would have picked a different tour. One of the guides drove my car back to the street at my request after the tour.

I did enjoy learning about the fruits growing on the farm in a low maintenance, eco-friendly farming design. The farmer built his own eco-house on the property and designed solutions to get to it when the river rises.

Warren, our guide, told us about the place with the familiarity of a person that enjoys working for a family business. His knowledge was the kind you get when you spend a lot of time there swapping stories and enjoying the property after hours.

You will have the option to swim if you include the cave tour. Dress for it, if you want to take the swim challenge and make sure your life vest is snug so it doesn't float up around your ears.

If you plan to rappel, tie your hair back as a precaution.

I would give this tour a better rating, if they picked me up and drove me the length of their rollercoaster driveway.

3  Thank MinnesotasFavoriteVo
Reviewed January 20, 2013

very fun trip. the staff were lovely, the rafting, ziplining and rapelling were all fun. quite the up and down ride to get there. don't worry, the road really does take you to the end of the road and the ziplining place. we unfortunately were in a very large group for the zipling and rappelling part (at least 16 people!!!!) and over 1/2 the time was spent waiting for stuff to happen. they were nice enough to accommodate a drive in group of 6 but it made our adventure not as fun. the ziplines were good.

we have ziplined extensively in costa rica among other places and i will say that if you have ziplined there, this will be less exciting. if ZL in CR is like kayaking class 5, then this is like a class 3

2  Thank wetakethekids
Reviewed January 15, 2013

A terrific adventure for the whole family! The adventure started on the road leading to Batey, what a thrilling drive. (I will not spoil it for you...) The guides were very professional, safety conscience and had fun personalities throughout the entire day. As we ziplined through the canopy we beheld majestic views of the mountains and soared over the Tanama river. I really appreciated the instruction about organic farming and what the locals are trying to do increase awareness and products.

1  Thank Kurt M
Reviewed January 9, 2013

The guides were fantastic. Went for a bit of a hike and got the history of the area. The zip lining was really cool. Bit of a treck to get to the place but if your have a car its not too bad. Bit of a tip for after the zip lining is call to the bakery in the town to the east of where the zip lining is. Really good pastry and really cheap :)

6  Thank JohnLeonard16