“Great 4 star hotel”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Chicago
“Great 4 star hotel”
Reviewed July 3, 2009

After reading some of the complaints from other reviewers, I want to stress that the Radisson is a FOUR STAR hotel - not a five star. People seem to expect more from this hotel than they are paying for. It is a beautiful setting and the hotel is very comfortable.
The rooms are not luxurious, but they are very nice and have a tropical feel with the tile floors and bright colors. The bathroom door seemed to be an issue for some reviewers and I was anticipating a wide-open viewing of the toilet. It is actually about 1/2 inch gap in the sliding bathroom door - not much of an issue. The housekeeping was good and our room was clean each day when we returned. Amenities were not restocked consistently, but I am not that picky and bring my own soap, shampoo etc. so it was not an issue. We had a deluxe room which faced the garden/hotel grounds and it was very pleasant to sit on the patio and watch the palm trees blow in the island breeze.
There have been some complaints that the breakfast menu did not change during the week, but I think they hotel did a good job of providing a really nice breakfast. I was a little concerned when one reviewer said there were flies all over the food and they wouldn't eat it. The food at the breakfast buffet is covered and was kept very clean. You are eating at an open-air restaurant and you might have a few flies, but the beautiful setting was worth it. The selection varied slightly each day and we were glad to have an easy breakfast to start our day. It was a nice touch.. We did not eat any other meals at the hotel, so I do not know if the other meals served were good or not.
The hotel grounds are really nice. There is plenty of room and you do not feel crowded if you take a walk. The pool, as so many others have stated, is stunning. It is one of the nicer pools we have encountered in our travels. The towel return/exchange at the pool is a little strange...You receive a card which you must exchange for towels and if you don't turn your towels in, you are charged 25.00 per towel...you will see people at the hotel guarding their towels and clinging to them so they are not misplaced. It seemed a little extreme for ugly blue towels, but I am not in the hotel business, perhaps towel theft is a big criminal enterprise on St. Martin.
If you are afraid of heights, as I am, the trek up and down the mountain each day to the hotel can be really scary. It is a narrow two lane road and there are not many guard rails on the edge of the mountain. The drive did not bother my husband at all, so if you are not afraid of heights you will be fine. To get around the island, I think a car is necessary. We wanted to explore and go into town to try some of the restaurants and it seemed like people waiting for the cabs were waiting a LONG time. So definitely rent a car if you are up for a drive in the mountains.
The trip to Angulla was our favorite part of our stay. We took the ferry from Marigot and once we landed at the dock in Aguilla, we took a cab to Shoal Beach. We were going to rent a car, but you much purchase a driver's license to rent a car on Anguilla and it seemed like too much trouble. The cost of the ferry was 20.00 per person each way and the taxi ride to the beach was 26.00 each way. So the entire cost of the trip was about 150.00. The beach was perfect. "Beer commercial" white sand and turquoise water.
I know that you can book excursions from the hotel to Anguilla, but we wanted to be on our own time-frame. It worked out really well.
We tried to hit as many different restaurants as possible. leCottage was not open during our stay, which was very disappointing, however we did try the following:
Cafe du Soleil in grand case was very nice - good food with a great location on the beach for watching the sunset.
Tastevin in Grand Case was very good food, but small portions. We enjoyed the meal.
Talk of the Town in Grand Case was good, but after hearing all of the rave reviews we were a little disappointed. Really just barbecue food with not much extra.
Calmo's Cafe in Grand Case was our favorite. The setting is fun and relaxed and the food was excellent. The seafood is fresh and the presentation is exciting. Don't miss this restaurant!!!
Also, the little bakery and Ice Cream shop in Marigot across from the market was fabulous. The french pastries and home-made island inspired ice cream flavors were worth the trip down the mountain. We went there several times during our stay.

We loved our stay at the Radisson St. Marin. This hotel is great and the staff is friendly, helpful and truly want to make your vacation a beautiful experience. In our case, they succeeded!

2 Thank moethedog

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 29, 2009

Rooms
Rooms were modern, clean and very pleasant. However the views from the balcony were not great – over the next hotels car park so we only used the balcony for drying wet clothes.

There were 2 free PCs in the lobby.

The fridge was unusable as if you moved anything you immediately got charged for it even if you put it straight back. It cost 10 Euros per day to hire a fridge. So we bought drinks at the little shop opposite, filled the plastic bin in the room with Ice cubes and used this as a fridge.

The pool was possibly the biggest pool I’ve been in – a length took 138 strokes! There was also a large outdoor Jacuzzi. The bay was lovely but quiet, we did see a small variety of fish and even a turtle. The water was quite cold – we took neoprene rash vests which kept the chill off.

The breakfast was excellent and we ate in the hotel restaurant, again the food was excellent. Try the trio of cream caramels – fantastic! There are 2 restaurants just outside the hotel, I wouldn’t recommend the Italian restaurant for both poor service and food.
Also if eating in Grand Case, take some dollars and look for restaurants that will charge you the same price whether you pay in dollars or Euros – ie $50 or 50Euros. Taxis were $15 each way.
We wanted a snack the last night at the hotel but the staff would not let us order from the menu. We had to order it through room service and pay the service charge. We complained at check out but they didn't seem to care.

Location
The location was more remote than we expected. The next bay looked to be about a mile away so we assumed we could walk it. Up and down a very steep windy road meant that walking it was not an option. The ferry (5Euros each way) to Pinel Island is about 2 miles from the hotel, and has good snorkelling.

Car Hire
Due to the remoteness of the hotel we looked to hire a car. The concierge suggested someone and phoned them but although it was a fair price there was no option to buy insurance so we would have to pay for any damage, regardless of fault. There was a Hertz rental kiosk at the hotel which was cheaper, and this time with insurance but the excess/deductible was 1500Euros which couldn’t be reduced. In the end we found an agent who could offer us a car with a deductible of 800Euros. However the car was a real state so they wouldn’t have noticed any damage!

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
new york
Reviewed June 23, 2009

I stayed at the Radisson from June 13 to June 18. The best comment I can make about this resort is that most of the employees were very attentive and offered prompt, friendly service. Also the turn down service was nice.

I was on a meal plan which included dinner at Le Marche and lunch at C restaurant (but no beverages). Food at C was better than Le Marche. The food at Le Marche was mediocre to bad. Although the food is expensive when you pay per meal, you might come out better than paying for the meal plan since breakfast is free and you do have the option to eat better food off site. (There's a restaurant right outside the resort and of course if you rent a car you can try other places).

As was mentioned in earlier reviews, the accommodations are not luxury. Also the hallways and elevators are not well maintained. On several nights the lighting was off in the hallway on my floor and it was always stuffy. I had to change rooms because the lock on my door wouldn't function properly. I was even locked in the room temporarily. The bellman who took me to the room when I arrived told me to be careful about the latch on the balcony door (if you're not careful you could get locked out). If you're looking for a room with an ocean view, look elsewhere. Depending on the type of room you've booked you'll face the courtyard, the marina, or a building.

I'm a big beach person. I love clean white sand and clear, calm beautiful, warm water. The Radisson delivered only on the calm water. The beach is extremely small. The water was rather chilly and at times it wasn't that clear. Some reviews have noted that there was a lack of service on the beach. But everyday I was there someone asked me at least twice if I wanted to order something. Also guys were around to place beach umbrellas by your lounger if there wasn’t one up already.

Driving to the resort is interesting. It's quite remote and nestled between 3 mountains. Roads are quite narrow, steep and there are a lot of twists and turns so driving could be challenging for some -- particularly at night.

The resort doesn’t offer many activities although there was music by the pool and beach during 3 days of my stay. The gym is small -- basically two converted guest rooms. But it has the basics -- ellipticals, treadmills, bikes free weights and a bench.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
1 Thank shadberi4115
Amsterdam
Reviewed June 17, 2009

We have been here voor 8 days. This hotel is open since decembre and you can see this. Good situation, food is very good. Staff is friendly and is always available. You can come in relaxion by the pool

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank AnoukSP
Framingham, Massachusetts
Reviewed June 14, 2009

My husband and I just returned from a week in St. Martin. While the island itself was not our cup of tea, we felt that our stay at the Radisson saved our vacation. The hotel staff was personable and professional. They were the nicest people we met on the island. The pool is was spectacular. I would bet that a good portion of the millions spent in renovations over the last two years went into the pool and it was money well spent. While the rooms themselves had been renovated they neglected to replace the tile floors which were cracked and poorly maintained.
If you want to go to St. Martin, I would recommend this property. However, I believe the Caribbean has many superior destinations to offer in place of St Martin.

New York City, New York
Reviewed June 9, 2009

My husband and I visited the Radisson June 4-8th for a quick getaway. We are both in our 40's. We travel to the Carribean 3 or four times a year. This was our first trip to st. Martin. We chose the Radisson based on TripAdvisor traveler reviews. Low season is a wonderful time to visit. We booked a package through Jetblue which included airfare, hotel, and rental care for $1,500. You will have the entire beach, pool and restaurants to yourself. We never saw more than 10 people in any area of the hotel.
The Road:
If you are renting a car which I highly recommend, prepare yourself for a wild ride! The road leading to the hotel is steep and narrow with many blind turns. My husband and I loved driving this road. Others may disagree.
Check In:
We were the only couple checking in so it went quite smoothly. We were greeted with complimentary rum punches and taken to our room. The open air lobby is filled with cozy, inviting nooks, couches, chairs and rockers. The furniture and upholstery are beautiful.
Rooms:
There is an east wing and a west wing. There are also suites by the Marina. We stayed in the west wing in room 1318. We were on the top floor.( The hotels on the French side can go no higher then 3 floors.) The room was clean, simple and comfortable. The bathroom was nice. There is a very large vanity. There is a half door in the shower/tub. sometimes my husband did not close it properly and water leaked out onto the floor. The privacy issue with the bathroom did not bother us as we were comfortable with closing the sliding doors when we used the toilet. The sleep number bed was a pleasure. The terrace has two chairs and a small table. If you want the morning sun stay in the west tower. There are no real ocean views as to speak. There are beautiful palm trees that allow you glimpses here and there. You will have a view of the gardens, great lawn and pool.
Pool:
The pool is one of the nicest we have experienced in the Carribean. It is sparking clean . The free form pool has luxurious touches such as an infinity edge and zero entry. There are beautifully furnished cabanas with privacy shades. The jacuzzi is one of the largest we have seen. It is also quite clean.
Beach:
The beach faces the northeast coast of Anguilla. The water is clear and the sand is soft. It is always calm as it is a cove set between two mountains. You will enjoy floating on your lounge mat. There is beach service for drinks. The beach bar (lounge at C) is chic, open air and elegant. We enjoyed many cocktails here with Regis our knowledgable bartender.
Food:
Breakfast is complimentary and is served in Le Marche, an open air buffet. There are many, many choices. There are eggs, bacon sausage, rolls bagels french bread, croissants,muffins,cereals, fresh fruit, cheeses etc. etc. You will be very happy with the breakfast. We had lunch at the C restaurant one day. It was very good. We dined at Le Marche one evening. It is buffet style. There are 4 or 5 stations to choose from depending on how many you choose to purchase. We bought them all to guarantee finding something we liked. We left full but not impressed. I think we paid $ 80 plus tip. We did tip 20% everywhere we dined. The service was always prompt and friendly. We drove into Grand Case the other 3 nights and ate at Le Cottage, Le Pressoir and the lolo called Talk of the Town. The Lolos are great. They are inexpensive and delicious. I'm sorry we didn't try them on the 1st night because we would have ate there twice.
Location:
The location was perfect for us. Grande Case was ten minute drive west. Orient Beach was a 5 minutes drive east. We liked staying on the French side because we found it scenic. We drove over to the Dutch side visited the boardwalk and front street and then high tailed it back home to our quiet little oasis in the mountains.
Summary:
If you are into laid back luxury at an affordable price you will like The Radisson.
Feel free to contact me if you have any specific questions.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
6 Thank sueZcue
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 5, 2009

Beach:
The beach at the Radisson is very calm and great for kids. I actually loved being able to hang out in the water and not worry about the waves and was able to float peacefully! If you are looking for a long beach for a walk, this isn’t it. However there are a ton of beaches on the island so renting a car is your best bet to explore different beaches. The hotel provides floaties, canoes and there is a place where you can rent wave runners as well.

Pool:
The pool is gorgeous and is open 24/7. I can’t say anything bad about the pool. The hot tub is large and can probably accommodate 15+ people.

Security:
One thing I appreciated is that there is very good security on this hotel. There are 3 checkpoints before you can even enter the hotel, during the daytime only 2 are manned, but at night all 3 checkpoints are manned and you have to show your Radisson room card to enter the hotel property. Also, there was a security guard at all times throughout the night at the pool.

Food:
Breakfast was provided every morning and has everything you would ever want. It's not just muffins and pastries, there is an omelet station, and a buffet spread with sausage, potatoes, pancakes, bacon, etc.

Besides breakfast, food in general was really expensive, so just know that when you come into the property. The best thing was convenience. You can order food beachside AND poolside! If you want to save money, go to Grand case and eat at the lolos (10 min away).

There are 2 restaurants across from the hotel that we quite enjoyed, try them out if you’re sick of hotel food. Also up the road are more restaurants… Ti Bouchon (a French restaurant), a burrito place and a pizzeria type place that are also good.

Room:
We stayed in the basic room. The room was clean, neat and minimal. We barely stayed in our room. The bed was a sleep number bed and it was very comfortable but got really warm at night under the comforter. Also, if you are travelling with someone you are comfortable with, you will not mind the bathroom but if you need some privacy in the bathroom, you will be disappointed. There is an opening in the sliding doors so whoever shares the room with you can hear and see (and smell!) almost everything you’re doing in the bathroom if they wanted to.

The room does not have a refrigerator. You can have one delivered to your room for 10 euros per day. The minibar is activated by sensor. So just a warning if you open the minibar and pick something up you will be charged. We were never charged because the bellman warned me of this when we first checked in.

Turndown service was good. You get chocolates by your pillow which was a nice surprise. You also get clean new towels and your room tidied up. We left change, our laptop, and camera out one day not thinking we would get turndown service and nothing was touched.

Gym:
Gym is small and had up-to-date equipment. However I had to unplug and replug the treadmill to make it work and in the middle of a run it stopped all of a sudden, freaking me out! The gym has weights, a weight bench, 3 ellipticals and 3 treadmills.

Spa:
Spa service was good. I was happy with my reflexology treatment. Book 2 days in advance to get the slot you want.

Concierge & Service:
Service was completely OUTSTANDING. I can’t say enough about the Radisson staff, they are really nice, calm and patient with us (but then we are not picky travelers). They came on time, and followed up with us on every request. For instance – Jetblue lost my luggage and the concierge called me the next day to make sure that my luggage came. The concierge also had a special connection to someone at Jetblue and called and got an answer for us since the phone number we had always had a busy signal! And after 2 days of ordering skim milk for breakfast, they remembered me and brought me skim milk without me asking for it the next morning.

Activities:
The activities desk was very helpful in finding us something to do. They took care of everything and gave us clear directions. For the convenience of being right at the hotel, these excursions cost about 30-40 euros more than elsewhere, so just know that. We took the Scoo-bee catamaran trip to Tintamarre and Anguilla and it was WORTH EVERY PENNY. We had the best day ever on the trip, the captain and his assistant was great, included was food and alcohol for the whole day and a mud bath. We could not have asked for anything more.

Money:
There is an ATM onsite at the Radisson that dispenses both Euros and USD! It was extremely convenient and everyone was happy to calculate USD for us. If you have a capital one card you will not be charged a foreign transaction fee so check it out!

Overall:
I was extremely pleased with our experience with the Radisson and St. Martin in general. We went during low season so there was not that many people on the beach and it felt very relaxed. We live in NYC and don’t care for the hustle and bustle on vacation so this was perfect. We drove to the dutch side and to other areas and was glad we decided to stay in Anse Marcel. The French side is beautiful and very European…

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
9 Thank ale60412345
#5 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!