“as great as everyone says!” 5 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
New Jersey
“as great as everyone says!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 29, 2009

We just returned from the resort having spent 6 great nights there last week with our 2 kids. C restaurant and staff were wonderful--mahi mahi app. and crème Brule trio were superb by the way. buffet breakfast was perfect--you can even request cappuccinos! yes, it was too bad that we missed out of what is expected to be a great spa and fitness center but the work is slated to be done by june. in the meantime, we used the fitness center (basic dumbbells, 1 bench and a bunch of cardio stuff) so it was enough for a basic workout. i'm no arnold, but the dumbbells only went up to 50 lbs. so hopefully the completed fitness center will have some heavier weight. pool was FREAKING AWESOME--only bad thing was that there were some childless couples and some pregnant lady who kept getting in the way of my kids splashing (see below--ha, ha); sorry folks, this place is unbelievable and totally awesome for young families. bring your kids, splash around in the great pool (it has that 0 degree pool entrance on one side!). the kids' club was great (awesome facilities, sandra who works there is a gem, and they have a wii and flat screen with dvds; they did crafts, etc.) anse marcel is great, just great. great mini-market across from hotel entrance with anything you'll need or may have forgotten (not to mention, great cheeses, wines, baguettes). the cabana/pool/towel staff were so friendly. the grounds were fantastic--kudos to that team as well.
bottom line--as great as everyone says!

2 Thank esponjabob

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
NewJersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2009

We stayed 5 nights at the Radisson in St. Martin. Our family of four including two children (aged 11 and 14) hoped for a low key resort with great service and a real Caribbean feel - It was everything we hoped for! The entire staff was great - professional, friendly, and extremely helpful. The accommodations are new, clean, and understated. The grounds are beautiful, the pool is exquisite and the beach is heavenly. The beach is a beautiful turquoise blue and very quiet and private. Some other beaches, particularly on the Dutch side of the island, are quite overbuilt and do not have the real Caribbean feel that we were seeking. There are options everyday for wonderful sailboat trips to various neighboring islands via the Scoobi-Too catamaran boat which is docked right at the resort - so convenient and a real a highlight of our trip. We took two wonderfully relaxing boat trips which included great snorkeling and delicious food and drinks. The staff of the Scoobi-Too were also very professional and friendly and extremely competent. Each member of the concierge desk (particularly Claudette) provided very helpful and honest recommendations to enjoy St. Martin. We rented a car right at the resort lobby to take advantage of the great restaurants in Grand Case (including La Tastevin on the high end and Lola's Sky's the Limit for wonderful grilled ribs, chicken and Johnny cakes) and also to explore other beaches on the island (including Dawn Beach to experience a beach with waves) and also to visit the markets at Marigot. I highly recommend splurging and taking the boat shuttle from the airport. It is a great way to start the vacation! Our family had a wonderful spring break at the Radisson St. Martin Resort!

3 Thank Traveler123NewJersey
New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2009

My husband and I just returned from the Radisson after a 5 night stay. There were many pros and cons to hte resort so I'll just structure my review that way.
Pros:
Location was excellent, Anse Marcel is a very quiet, calm beach that will def meet all of your beach needs with the exception of a nice long walk (you can go to Orient Beach for that)
Breakfast was great, buffett style with as many choices you can think of and as long as its good you can't really tire of it
Pool was beautiful, some kids splashing around from time to time but overall very spacious with plenty of chairs to go around
Lobby/grounds were nice, I've seen much nicer but overall, well kept and current
Location, close to Orient, close to Grand Case, great pharmacy nearby and a good pizza place as well. Overall, easy to find and navigate to and from, a car rental is a must
Cons:
Service, I've heard of "island time" but these people actually make you feel like they are working backwards. Nobody seemed genuinely interested in helping you with anything with 2 exceptions, the doormany and the luggage handler, they were great. The lobby staff, restaurant staff and beach staff we're all very slow and uninterested in working at all
Rooms, the bathrooms do suck as the door might as well not exist and privacy is non-existant. The decor is dated , the tv's were nice
Amenities, the gym is 2 guest rooms converted with the same "private bathroom" and cannot accomodate more than 3 people at a time. The spa is also "temporary". There is a lack of activities and a lack of consistancy with any hotel offered entertainment

I do not want to sound whiney but we chose this destination as a "babymoon" ,our last trip before the big arrival and I am sorry that we did. My husband and I have traveled extensively and stayed in some stunning locations (Royal Plam Mauritious, Cuisinart, Singita, Cape Grace, Fairmont Chicago, Couples Swept Away etc..) and this ranks dead last. Its not for lack of location because my opinion is that if you have a beautiful beach, the rest can follow. Between the lack of service (not just terrible but sheer lack of it) and the dated decor and amenities you can find something much more enjoyable for your next vacation, I'm certain of it.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank iammarryingjim
new york
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2009

While we only spent three nights there, I have to say that I'd highly recommend it. Tasteful, refined, but not too highbrow.

Amazing pool, great buffet breakfast, and nicely laid out in a great location, somewhat removed from the hustle and...

If you don't get there by sea, you drive over a big hill or little mountain, and it's tucked away in this little corner of the island, a stone's throw from Grand Case and Orient Bay.

Everyone was friendly but not annoyingly so...

2 Thank sohprom
New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2009

I stayed at the Radisson April 5-10. Overall, it was a great experience and my vacations needs of relaxation and fun were met. I will say my expectations were quite high given the many 5 star reviews I read prior to my trip, but I had mixed opinions based on some of my experiences there.

First, despite what many say about the Radisson being in a secluded location, I have to disagree. I thought it was conveniently located as it was only 15 minutes or less to many island attractions including Orient Beach, Pinel Island, Grand Case and Loterie Farm. Not to mention Scoobitoo excursions leave right from the Radisson Beach. Sign up for an excursion at the pool hut. It doesn’t get more convenient than that! Also, two restaurants and some gift shops are located directly across the street from the Radisson. The road in is definitely steep, but it also provides some great views!

We stayed in a 3rd floor Deluxe room with views of the manicured courtyard. The room was comfortable and spacious. My initial approval of the room was later met by some pretty big frustrations during my stay. First, we were unable to get into the safe when we first arrived in our room as it was already in the closed and locked position and the codes we entered would not open it. We called the front desk and were told that maintenance would be there to assist. After an hour wait and three calls to the front desk, still no maintenance. This did not offer a very good impression as we had just arrived and were anxious to get outside, but were reluctant to do so without first securing our cash and other valuables. Eventually, we were able to open the safe on our own. Second, as others have stated, the bathroom doors are designed so that when they are closed, you can see clearly into the toilet area without even trying. Further examination of the doors showed that it is purely a result of some shoddy workmanship that could easily be fixed and I do hope that the Radisson takes the steps necessary to improve this. Even the worst hotels I have ever stayed in at least have bathroom doors that close properly and provide privacy! The other major problem with the bathroom is the design of the shower door. It looks great, but proved to be more stylish than functional! Because of the half door, water splashes all over the floor. Also, because our door in particular was not screwed all the way into the wall, water dripped out the side leaving a puddle on the floor. We brought this to the attention of the staff who said they would look into it, but clearly nothing was done. Unless this is fixed, they are going to experience some major mildew problems as there are no fans or windows in the bathrooms to provide ventilation. Based on a prior review complaining about a moldy smell in the room, this may already be becoming a problem. Third, and MOST frustrating, was the hairdryer. The dryer provided in the room has a very short cord with a plug that does not fit tightly into the outlet. Therefore it is nearly impossible to use as every time you move it the slightest bit, it comes unplugged! Even if you can manage with that, the dryer does not stay on by itself, you have to hold the button down, and it does not get hot so it is pretty much useless! After one night of dealing with that I went to the front desk to address the problem. I was basically told that’s just the way it is and was not offered a solution. I had to really push before they finally offered me a hairdryer for rent at 50 Euro that was charged to the room and then reimbursed upon check out. Fortunately, that hairdryer worked great. The plug fit properly in the outlet and it actually got hot and stayed on by itself. If you choose to avoid this whole fiasco and use your own dryer, make sure you bring a converter that will fit into an outlet that is slightly recessed. Mine was straight across and could not fit in it. Moving on with room problems, I’ll offer a word of caution about the patio door. Please be sure that the lock is fully raised to the unlocked position before you step outside. One night we closed the door while out on the patio and it moved into the locked position! Fortunately, we were able to flag down a passerby who alerted staff and maintenance immediately came to our rescue.

We rented a car for one day through the Hertz provider located in the reception area. It was 45 Euro per day and could not have been more convenient. We requested it at 9 am, went to breakfast and then we were on the road by 10 am. Later that night we just turned the keys in at the reception desk. We chose to use taxi services for other outings because we just found it to be a lot easier than wasting time trying to navigate around the island on our own. This too, was extremely convenient. Radisson staff will call for the cab that generally arrives within minutes. If you get Renee, you’re in luck. We used him on three different nights to go to dinner in Grand Case. He will drop you off at the restaurant and then give you a card with his number to call him when you are finished, then he will return you to the hotel at which time you pay for the roundtrip fare. It was 30 USD roundtrip to Grand Case, but again, we were willing to pay for the convenience.

Overall, the grounds of the Radisson are very attractive, the pool is impressive and the beach is average. The resort seemed to be less than 50% full so it was never crowded in any area. The Le C restaurant located ocean side is in a perfect location, with beautiful views, but the food is just so so. The pool was awesome and I can not see it ever becoming crowded. My one pet peeve was the location of the hot tub. There’s only one way to get to it, which is through the sandy children’s area and because the pool is so large, it is quite a long walk to get to it from one side to the other. Also, due to its location, many kids tend to play in it. It kind of takes away from the relaxing experience of the hot tub when children are doing cannonballs into it. Despite its flaws, I would likely stay at the Radisson again if I ever chose to return to St. Martin.

• 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank AmyJoy0481
NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 17, 2009

Greetings fellow trippers . . . My wife and I had just come back from a lovely 7 day stay at the Radisson in Ansel Marcel.

Coming from a nice snow storm in Jersey, we arrived to sunny skies and a warm breeze at the airport. When you arrive, since the planes do not taxi directly to the terminal, you deboard and take a bus a few hundred yards to the actual terminal. after customs, we were greeted by transportation. We opted for the ferry ride to the Radisson.

The transporter drove us to the nearby dock where we took the motorboat to the hotel. I was a little apprehensive since my wife gets quite seasick. The ride was manageable for her - the waters were pretty calm. However, I think if the waters were rough and one was prone to motion sickness, you may be in trouble. It goes along the coast and through the towns. I thought it was quite enjoyable. The fee was $90 per person and includes a return trip by van to the airport

Once we arrived, check in was a breeze. Our room overlooked the courtyard. It was clean and had a nice carribean decor. The beds were sleep number. Let's just say, they were a nice convenience, but I would never buy one on my own. As mentioned, there is no door separating the toilet from the rest of the bathroom. there is a sliding door separating the bathroom itself from the room, however, one can see through the cracks straight to the mighty throne. Beware. We did actually switch rooms the second night for there was heavy mildew smell in the entry way. So they moved us above the temporary spa area, where we were blessed with the smells of scented oils.

as for the spa, it's basically 4 rooms on the first floor. My wife and I did have a couple treatments, I thought it was great and the spa room was more than adequate. There's a small gym area with some treadmills and free weights. Here's a little tip - I was afraid of drinking tap water being the paranoid americanI am. In the gym, there's purified water so I filled up my water bottle periodically if I needed something in the middle of the night or at the beach and the little market was closed.

across the way, there's a little market with snacks and a wonderful italian restaurant run by some very animated french. They have a singer on the weekends that perform such classics as Frank Sinatra's "New York, New York" Sounded great after some wine.

as for the beach, it was okay, nothing spectacular. I enjoyed the pool more than the beach. The pool is quite beautiful and you can order food from the lounges. They provide towels and it was quite peaceful. Security is all around. There's an adjacent hotel with a mediocre pool, so I saw a few of their residents try to come to the Radisson's pool, security were right on top of the. guess it was a slow day! There was construction going on the new spa area, so there were a few days that we were blessed with the sounds of hammering and saws.

as for other beaches, we did rent a car from the hertz guy at the hotel. It was reasonable. I'm sure you can get better deals with some of the outside agencies, but the hertz kiosk was right there, and the cars were readily accessible. you can bargain with the hertz man a bit (a few dollars off a day is possible). We had a decked out toyota corollla rolling gangsta style. Parking is free. Driving around the island was quite easy. To get out of the hotel, there's kind of a steep hill (think San Francisco) but it was doable.

there's only one main road (i think the island is 30 something miles around), it takes about 1 to 1.5hrs to drive around the whole island. since my wife and i just wanted to relax, we only rented the car for two days. we went to the dutch side and checked out the nude beach - orient beach. orient beach was quite nice, in the morning, there's really no on around and you can use any of the cushioned lounges along the beach. as for the nude aspect - if you like older french people in speedoes, then you are in luck.

restaurants -

The ones at the radisson were nice. breakfast buffet is included, there were many choices but after 7 days, i could only eat so many omelettes. Lunch and dinner were nice. The Le Marche had an interesting dinner buffet. You can choose two "stations". However, if you choose the seafood station, the seafood isn't buffett, just the sides are. It was adequate. The C restaurant is quite nice also and the adjacent hotel has a nice restaurant. aside from that, there's the italian restaurant across the way and a smaller restaurant there also.

We did go to Grand Case a few nights. Grand Case is supposedly the culinary mecca of the Carribbean. I was expecting a sprawling mecca of foie gras and escargot. Basicaly it's one tiny street with restaurants on either side. They are small and quaint and quite nice. Every Tuesday nights they have a street festival so it gets quite packed. Street musicians and artisans mixed with the locals. We ate at:

Spiga's - excellent - small, quaint, right at the entrance to Grand Case
California - had dessert on Tuesday night but also went on another weeknight, had a front view of the sunset - very beautiful - right on the beach

But actually the best meal I had, was at these barbecue joints right at the entrance to grand case. That was awesome! There's a few of them all in one area.
as for parking in Grand Case - you can pay five bucks or park on the street. Street parking was easy during the weekday - except for Tuesday. as mentioned, make sure you don't leave anyting in your car.

Shopping =

I guess supposedly St. Maartin is great for shopping and jewelry. However, we (and my wife loves to shop!) didn't really find anything. I think if you are into jewelry, you can get some deals in Phillipsburg. Most of the stores are East Indian owned, and bargaining is commonplace. We did go around there, it was a nice half day. We ate at the Greenhouse near the marina which wasn't bad. I guess you can catch boats to St. Baarths and Anguilla there. But I heard that ride was quite rough.

Overall, we had a great time. I enjoyed the hotel, but I'm pretty laid back anyhow. Heck, the best meal I had was bbq. My wife thought the trip was relaxing, but nothing spectacular. I thought the island was quaint and people friendly. However, as you drive around, you definitely can get a feel that it isn't the most luxurious area but people seem happy and have that wonderful relaxing caribbean persona. If you are looking for a casual atmospher to relax and just sit on the beach/pool - this is the place.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank dentiphile
Short Hills, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 10, 2009

Check-In
Check-in was relatively quick, although there was some confusion as to whether the rooms had two double beds or two queen beds. When it was ascertained that the rooms contained queen beds, we had to wait a few moments for a room with such beds to be made ready. As there were none available in the room category we had paid for (least expensive), we were upgraded at no charge to a "deluxe room." This being the same type of room except with a view of the courtyard instead of an alley. We also received drinks upon arrival, but they were non-alcoholic.

Room
The room was spacious, tastefully decorated and clean. The bathroom was large and the shower had hot water and good water pressure. We've stayed at many places that had neither. The beds and pillows are very comfortable. Housekeeping made a great effort to coincide their visits at convenient times for us and to provide us with our requests. The only problem that I can foresee with the rooms is that when this resort actually fills up, you can hear the people talking in the the next room. The walls must be very thin and not well insulated.

Hotel
The hotel is very pretty. The location is beautiful- in a valley surrounded by lovely mountains. As other reviewers mentioned, this has its pros and cons. The pros are that the beach is quiet and private- it is shared by one other hotel. The water is very tranquil. The con is that to get anywhere, you have to travel a bit and, as other reviewers also mentioned, the route in and out of Anse Marcel is quite stressful. We rented a car and we were glad we did since there are very few restaurants on the property, but we did find it difficult to navigate the initial winding, steep road leading out of the property. It is also a little complicated to drive around the island as there are few street signs. In addition, the hotel staff was not great with directions. Once you get the hang of it, it does get a little easier.

Beach and Pool
The beach and pool are beautiful and clean. I actually prefer that the staff is not aggressive. I find it more peaceful. If you need something, they are more than happy to get it for you, you just need to ask. There were more than enough lounge chairs and umbrellas, but that may change when the resort gets busier. It felt like it was operating at 50 percent capacity at most. We also had a problem with the construction noise, but that is supposed to end by June 2009.

Restaurants
C le Restaurant is on the premises and is very nice. Good service and food. Le Marche is also on the premises. We only had breakfast there, which was also good. In Anse Marcel, across from the hotel, there is an Italian restaurant called La Locanda, which we didn't try, but others said it was good. We ate in Grand Case at La California, which was just okay and expensive, and at Le Cottage, which was fabulous, but also expensive. We ate at Sol y Luna in Mont Vernon, which was also very good. We also ate at Le Chanteclair in Marigot. The proprietors there had attitude, and seemed to prefer their French guests, but the food was good (though also really expensive).

Fitness Center
Small but adequate for the Caribbean. I suppose when they finish construction on the real fitness center, they will enhance it.

Spa
This was the most disappointing aspect of the hotel since the name of the hotel is the Radisson Resort, Marina and Spa. We expected a top notch spa. Instead it was pretty disorganized. On one occasion, we waited a half hour for a service. We were also charged different prices for the same service. On a different occasion we were shortchanged by 15 minutes on an hour long service. The receptionist said they would make it up to us, but never did. The services themselves were subpar and very expensive. When they complete the construction of the spa, perhaps they will hire people who know how to run a spa and hire professionals to staff it.

Overall
We would recommend this hotel. It's pretty, clean, nicely located and the staff tries very hard to please. It is not ultra luxurious, but it is Caribbean casual and very comfortable. We would recommend renting a car, with the caveat to know that the driving will not be easy. If you don't rent a car, we were told by other hotel guests that finding the taxi after dinner wasn't all that simple. We would also recommend taking the Scoobi Too Catamaran trips they offer at the Excursions desk. A highlight of our trip!

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sunfun18
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!