My wife and I are well travelled in the Caribbean and in Europe. To me the island of St. Martin is a very congested island, car, bars and people and junk!
Driving from the airport on the Dutch side to Anse Marcel Bay on the French side disappointed me, until you go down the little mountain into Anse Marcel Bay to the RIU Palace Hotel.
Its beautifully lush and tropical, private, guiet and clean, with a beach that is gorgeous, not to large or crowded with a mirror like calm water in a protected bay.
The staff there are warm and sincerely friendly. In particular one of the main desk staff "Alain" was so helpful to us in organizing day trips signing out, etc.
At the time we were there this hotel was in transition and only offered breakfast as included in the price. Breakfast was excellent and again the staff were very attentive to our needs
My wife and I have stayed in numerous 5 star hotels in the Caribbean and this hotel is definetely NOT A FIVE STAR HOTEL. (4 star is more realistic). It has the potential to be a 5 star hotel and hopefully when it goes all inclusive in November 2014, the RIU chain will have stepped it up to a real 5 star rating.
The reason it is not a real 5 star hotel is simply this: lack of restaraunts on the property (they have 2), lack of swimming pools (they have 1), no swim up bar, lack of nightly entertainment (0), lack of day activities on the resort. 1 boutique to shop at etc. If you do not rent a car at this resort you will not leave it unless you want to spend a small fortune in taxi fares to climb the small mountain you are at the foot of. We rented a car for the week and it was a really good idea. It was $200.00 for the week, we drove the entire island, ate out every night in Grand Case, drove to Marigot, Philipsburg etc.
We did 2 side trips to St. Barths and a second one to Prickly Pear Island snorkelling.
We loved this vaction because of the privacy, perfect beach and calm water with excellent staff that have really good people skills.
To the RIU chain: we have been to your other RIU Resorts (and to the Bia Principe chain)
and you know you have a long way to go to bring this hotel up to your 5 star standards.
Dave and Lidija CRAGHILL
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Discover the Hotel The Hotel Riu Palace St. Martin, situated at the beachfront on the Caribbean island of St. Martin, is the perfect place for a dream vacation and it's ready for you to enjoy all the amenities and services RIU offers to its guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, West Indies, Hotels.com, Hotwire and Jetsetter so you can book your Hotel Riu Palace St Martin reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Radisson Blu Resort, Marina & Spa St. Martin Hotel Anse Marcel
- Radisson Blu Resort, Marina And Spa St. Martin
- Radisson Anse Marcel
- Anse Marcel Radisson
- Hotel Riu Palace St Martin St. Maarten-St. Martin/Anse Marcel