“Off the beaten path, but a fabulous place”

Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Reviewed June 9, 2013

My wife & I just got back from our honeymoon. We spent 6 nights at the Ritz in St. Thomas and then spent 5 nights th the Radisson Blu in St. Martin (since it's on the French side). Although we had a great time visiting both places, the peak of our trip was here. First off, this hotel houses C Le Restaurant and it was by far the best hotel restaurant, and likely one of the best restaurants, I have ever eaten at in my entire life (and I have eaten at many of the best the Eastern Seaboard has to offer). Furthermore, the breakfast buffet was very nice and reminded me of breakfasts I have had in Paris (only the fruit was significantly more fresh).

We had a king sized bed. A sleep number, very comfortable for us both, although not sure I'd buy one.
The lobby bar is simple, but nice. Jerry makes the best Havana Club Mojito's you'll ever taste.

If you don't want to spend all your food money at the hotel (I recommend that you don't), there are several fabulous restaurants in Grand Case (about a 10-15 min cab ride away). There are several EXCELLENT restaurants on the main strip. Most notable to us were L'Aubergine Gourmand for French food & Sky's the Limit for Lolo food (local cuisine).

The best way to get around is to find a good cab driver and to plan your trip(s) with him. We met a guy named Nigel & he was truly the best money we spent while on vacation. He showed us the best restaurants, he knows someone in every town/village throughout the island, he was always on time, and when our tour (booked through Costco) abandoned us in Marigot, he was a phone call away & saved the day. This man and his car were a Godsend & was the ONLY reason that the second half of our honeymoon was a success. You can reach him at 06 90 77 54 20. He will make you trip a success. Call him before your arrival, tell him your plans, then he'll meet you at the airport & be your man for your entire trip.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank RossFrye
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to give your feedback about your recent stay with us. We are thrilled that you mentioned C Le Restaurant as one of the best restaurants you've ever been in! The Chef and his team were very proud!
We look forward to welcoming you again!
Jean-marc Jalbert - General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (2,366)

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We had nice stay at the resort, its one of the nicer ones in this area. To our surprise most of St. Martin is dirty and run down looking. The people are nice to you IF you are paying them for a service but many are very racist against white people. We went to St Martin's fish festival which is more for the people of the island than tourists and you DID NOT feel welcome. They have a problem with their kids, they don't have much to do on this small island so they get in trouble or create trouble. One person (native) was stabbed/killed at the fish festival later in the evening.
Sorry to say this will not be an island we will be visiting again.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you enjoyed your stay at the Radisson Blu St. Martin!

Reviewed June 3, 2013

Stayed in the main building as opposed to the marina view rooms

Fantastic set up and service - and the food was of a much higher standard than I expected for these types of resorts with "captive" clientele.

It is in quite a secluded area which means it is very quiet but you should know you'll need a taxi or a car rental if you want to go around and visit the island.

I'm always a bit annoyed when i hear about the concept of "resort fee" but I do think the value for moneuy is still absolutely there: the swimming pool is a thing of beauty, the beach is great (even though it is smaller than you may expect it to be) and there are activities should you wish to partake

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Traveling_Chuck_2011
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this reviewResponded June 6, 2013

Thank you very much for this great review. We really appreciate your words about the quality of the service, the set up and the food, that means a lot for us.
We hope you will be back at the Resort very soon.

Reviewed June 2, 2013

I must say that this property was a real surprise! The property although not a 5 star Ritz in Hawaii is very well maintained and the service was exceptional. But what really makes this resort stand out for me is its location. It is located on the French side of the island and specially at Anse Marcel. Basically it’s in an amazing cove surrounded by hills. The beach is shared with a few other hotels, but in general it feels like it’s a private beach.

Getting to the resort from SXM airport is about a 25-40 minute drive depending on traffic and road construction. The roads are not the best but I’ve also seen worse. SXM Princess Juliana Airport is on the Dutch side of the island whereas the resort is on the French side. The border has a sign, but no passport control points.

The Room:

We were provided an upgrade to better view based on our Club Carlson status but the Marina rooms were offered for an additional cost which we opted away from. The room was very well furnished and clean.

Free Breakfast:

The property offers free daily breakfast buffet for all its guests. The breakfast spread is quite complete offering everything including fruit, an omelette station, cold cuts, and even fresh Belgian waffles. We really enjoyed it.

Beach & Pool:

Our favorite part of this hotel was the beach. The first day it was overcast and we had the beach to ourselves. The second day the sun was out but the beach felt empty (then again I’m comparing it to Miami and Hawaii!). Their pool is a quite nice infinity-style pool overlooking the beach.

Hotel Grounds:

The lobby and grounds are very well maintained. Attendants at the reception were extremely helpful especially when we arrived dead tired for check in at midnight. They had someone quickly park our car for us so we wouldn’t get wet as it was raining.

Overall this resort and St. Martin as a whole really caught my attention and especially due to the fact that it’s a quick 2.5 hour plane ride from Miami. In our website we also review the famous Maho Beach and some spectacular meals we had while on the island.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2013

Thank you very much for this wonderful review on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you had a good surprise by choosing us for your vacations! Indeed, our location is a great asset if you want to relax and disconnect!
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon!

Reviewed June 2, 2013

We just spent 5 days at the Radisson Blu, my husband and I went to celebrate my birthday. It is a paradise to rest and disconnect. The infinite pool is really spectacular and the beach is beautiful. The restaurants are a little highly priced, but the food is really good. Have dinner at the restaurant by the beach, great ambiance! The rooms are very comfortable and the breakfast buffet is really good and it is included! Don't miss a night out at Grand Case, a nice strip full of very good restaurants and bars by the ocean, only 15 min. drive from the hotel, we loved "La Villa" which offers great French food. Also 15 min. away is Orient Beach, the most popular beach in the island, it is worth it to spend a day there.

• Stayed: May 2013

Thank you for this great comments about your recent stay at the Radisson Blu Resort, St Martin. We are more than happy that you enjoyed your vacations with us and that you really liked our infinity pool!
We hope you will be back to the Resort very soon!

Reviewed May 29, 2013

I prefer to start with the positive: The grounds at this resort are beautiful. They do a great job keeping everythign up and the beach is a nice little walk. Do not come to this resort thinking you'll run the beach - I think if you went back and forth 8 times it still would not be a mile.

What they call marina view rooms are not at all what i would consider a "marina view". Our first room did have the marina view which was in fact a view of the moat boats would come into the marina through. Also, bathtub/shower combos have NO shower curtain. Be prepared for cleaning up water ALL over the bathroom. As for the restaurant - not great. I got a massage at the spa - completely horrible with no pressure at all - even after asking several times.

I would not stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Instead of paying extra money for a marina view try to get a room that overlooks the center courtyar...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank JCO32
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Thank you for your good comments about our beautiful grounds. We are sorry that our "Marina view" rooms did not meet your expectations. Indeed, these rooms overlook either the Marina or the channel. I have forwarded your comments about the massage and the restaurants to the appropriate Managers, we will work diligently to improve our operations.
We hope you will give us an opportunity to recoup your confidence in us in the future.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I stayed at this property for business purpose however I never felt I was on business, the ambiance and atmosphere of feeling at the Caribbean was amazing. Upon ck-in the personnel was enthusiastic and pleasant, they took us to our respective rooms and explained all the information about the safe deposit box, and other amenities including the electricity conversion (yes he went there which was greatly helpful as the hotel electric outlets are Euro). Our first day started with a GREAT breakfast, all fresh and clean on a concrete gazebo or terrace close to the pool and the beach, I noted the hotel is in between the mountains so we have a constant nice breeze and plenty of birds around, very calm area to have your morning coffee. The servers always had a smile in their faces and always willing to help in all you needed, the coffee... ahhhh! fresh brewed in your table as they use french coffee press and it was delicious, the breads and fruits all fresh from the island and an omelette station for your taste. Going back to my room all was neat, the corridors and as well the employees very lovely; my room was always clean with a nice smell and all the things I needed to be happy inside my room - specially the number bed they have which is great for you to make yourself comfy at your own taste. This is a hotel that you go to search calm is not a hustle & bustle property, which I loved. Its not boring either as they have activities and a very large bar at the lobby, at the front of the hotel they do have other bars and some places to go. One morning I got up early to enjoy the beach and have a nice walk, unfortunately I didn't bring no close to jump in the water but sure was extremely inviting. The pool is huge and tempting as well, within a short walk you can find their marina but when you go you must go to their 3rd floor stairs oriel where you can have a glimpse at all the beach including the pool and gardens (we took our nice panoramic picture from there). I would recommend this hotel to anyone on business or pleasure, and definitely I cant wait to be back to Anse Marcel Bay @ the Radisson Blue.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank marakucha143

Thank you so much for giving us your feedback on TripAdvisor and for your really nice words about our employees! We are thrilled that you enjoyed the huge buffet breakfast, the spacious room and the quietness of the place.
We hope you will be back soon, for leisure this time!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Marcel
#2 of 8 in Grand Case
Mercure Saint-Martin Marina & Spa
Simpson Bay Resort & Marina
Divi Little Bay Beach Resort

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!