“Super relaxing vacation”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Brooklyn, New York
“Super relaxing vacation”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

We spent almost a week there and it was very very relaxing. If being in a quiet environment, without a hussle and bustle of ton of tourists, with plenty of space available and not loudness - this is the place for you. Perfect beach lounging vacation.
Radisson is small and cute. Super quiet there, night and day, so, if live music and nightly entertainment you're looking for, this is not the place for you. It is spacious, clean, well maintained with beautiful beach and an equally beautiful pool. Lobby is airy and pleasant. Rooms are nice and spacious. There are 2 restaurants and 2 bars (one beach, one lobby).
It's in Anse Martel which is a little enclave surrounded by tall hills at the very end of French St. Martin. To get there from the airport, we took a taxi, which was a van (shared with other drop-offs), so for two of us, we paid $40. Once you're on the French part of the island, all in euros. If you carry them in cash, you'll be able to get 1:1 exchange, like in a lot of Grand Case places. But I digress...the ride is about 40-45 min and it's up and down. If you're lucky, you'll get to go thru other parts of the island (Dutch, as well as other French ones), so kind of a tour.
There are maybe 2-3 resorts and all tiny in Anse Martel. So, I personally liked that. Totally isolated. Radisson itself is on the little plaza, which has a couple of shops and a couple of restaurants (Victoria's Lounge is cute).
Check in was easy but can't really check in until 4pm. Check out is @ 12. Room is nice and large, cool bathroom without a border between a large shower area, but that made it look modern. Free wi-fi everywhere but the lawn area - ask for the marina code or use your room and last name. There is a nespresso machine in each room, which is really cool if you want to brew a nice cup. Everyone has a balcony. We stayed on the lawn, on the east side and it's super quiet, so even though it's not on marina side, it's really nice nevertheless. Cable tv with premium channels is also in the room.
Room service is ok, but that's it. On more than one occassion, I had to leave little notes to the stuff, to bring more soap and tea, but doable.
Breakfast is free and it's abundant, complete with french press coffee. Ton of stations - American/Continental - anything and everything - really good.
Lunch you can have (inside the resort) at either beach bar or at the beach restaurants. Lunch at the restaurant is adequate and expensive. Beach bar is better if sandwiches is all you want.
Dinner at the beach restaurant is good a la carte. Buffet was ok. They do have nightly specials themes, but we only did the nightly special theme 1st night there, opting to dining outside of the resort and even Anse Martel.
Services at all restaurants leaves something to be desired. Breakfast is the worse. They can't or don't want to keep up with the clientele, so it takes some time to either find a clean table or find an empty table and then hunt down stuff to clean and set it up. Tables are never set up preliminary for breakfast. Then you have to hunt them down for coffee and/or tea. Beach bar service is also slow. Sometimes, you just sit and stare at the bar tender willing him/her to give you menu and then to pay attention to you afterwords. Restaurant services at other meals is equally slow. But that is the case in ALL dining establishments on the island, as they're on their own non-hurried time. As a New Yorker, that was tough. :)
Gym is small but adequate. Spa we never utilized, so wouldn't know.
Beach is small but beatiful, idyllic, clean - all good things. Pool is large and also all the same things. Plenty of space to lounge anywhere you want, as as least when we went, was not super busy. Totally chill experience hanging out at the water the whole day w/t anyone bothering you. Get your towels and relax with the book!
Clientele is largely French speaking, but also Americans, Eastern Europeans, and Portugese - at least was when we were there. So, pretty international, which is cool.
You can certainly rent a car if you want to venture out, but we didn't, as didn't feel like dealing with sketchy roads and even sketchier parking. We took taxi and used Gus. His email is gus-cab@hotmail.com and he's a great guy and super reliable. But folks, it is expensive to cab back and forth. For example: Grand Case round trip is 30 euros; Oyster Pond is 60 euros; I think Margot would be 40.
To dine out - we went to Grand Case 2 nights and the place is rather sketchy. It was liveliesque on Tuesday when they have street fair and then the carnival. Marigot is cute. Oyster Pond is all condos/time shares but decent restaurants and is cute.
All places, including Anse Martel have own marinas, so all very pleasant. Anguilla is a hand-wave away, so that's cool.
Overall, apart from a slow island service, it was all very nice and enjoyable.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank busybee2775
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent stay with us. We are glad that you liked the quietness of the Resort that gave you the opportunity to relax and enjoy the beach and the pool!We are, nevertheless, sorry about the slowness of the service, we took the necessary actions to be better in this area.
We hope you will be back to the Resort soon!
Jean-marc Jalbert - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (406)
Olomouc, Czech Republic
Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

We are now on our second week in Ance Marcel Radisson. This is probably the best place on the island. We have been to some other parts of the island and we were everytime happy to come back to our hotel. Great pool, beach, room, food, service... If we come back to St Martin it will be at the Radisson.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JaSon7344
Thank you so much for this excellent review. We are very delighted that you enjoyed our Resort and we look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
Buffalo, New York
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Our room was lovely, the grounds are gorgeous, the beach and view are stupendous. The front desk staff however leaves much to be desired. We were part of the "My Time" 'club' and were supposed to receive extra perks. We did not. I asked and basically got a shrug. I also have a food allergy and emailed the hotel in advance, asking if the chefs could accommodate me. The hotel emailed back that someone would be in touch. Nothing. I emailed again 2 days before we left and got no response. I asked at check in and said there was a note and the chef would call me. No one ever did.

When we arrived there was no bellman. I parked my car at the front door and went in to check in. While doing so, a bellman came and asked for my keys. He moved my car, took some of our belongings out of the car (not all) and did not tell me where I could find my car or give me a valet ticket. The next morning we had to hunt through the lot full of nearly identical rental cars to find ours.

The breakfast buffet becomes tiresome - same things every day with only one "plat du jour" that changes.

I appreciated the fact that our room was cleaned before noon each day. The sleep number beds are nice. We were supposed to have a marina view and instead we had a view of some trees through which you could maybe make out a boat or two.

The place is beautiful and comfortable and it has probably the best pool I've ever been in, so I do highly recommend it. It is very close to Grand Case where the best restaurants are.

If you are uncomfortable driving up and down steep hills with hairpin turns you won't want to stay here. The drive is a bit harrowing.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Brette S
Thank you for giving us your feedback on TripAdvisor. We are happy that you appreciated the comfort of the room. However, we would like to apologize for the fact that our employees were not as helpful as they should have been. We have shared your comments with the team and we have worked to avoid this situation to happen again.
We hope you will give us another opportunity to show you the improvements we made.
Lisbon, Portugal
Reviewed March 15, 2013 via mobile

The room had good ateas, very clean and glpbally everything worked
The breakfast ws nice nt specyaculat very simple but ok
The rest of the meals were uninteresting more of the sam
I thought of going with a meal paid, thank god i didn't
We ata at la grande case that has grest restaurant we went t la villa and one in front ocean 82
W reallly at wel
The all exerience was very nice

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank barbara l
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Thank you for posting a review on TripAdvisor. We are glad that you had a great experience at the Radisson Blu St Martin and we look forward to welcoming you again.
Norwalk, Connecticut
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

I have stayed at this hotel, four times. This is just a lovely, simple hotel, with people who work here being EXCEPTIONAL! They are eager to please! Always with a smile. The people who work here, make this place comfortable and special.
The pool is lovely , beach small and comfortable. The new beach bar, run by Sophia has made this bar a success. My room was comfortable and clean. Breakfast is delicious.
I love being on the French side, and I have begun to feel like this place is home.
Thank you for making my vacation special.
See you soon

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank Percyb01
Thank you so much for this amazing review. We cannot be happier when we read such excellent comments about our staff! Thank you for your loyalty and kindness!
See you soon!
NYC area
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I traveled with my 23 year old daughter. Our first time in St. Martin. The Radisson Blu was fine. Our room was nice and comfortable. The description of ocean view was misleading. We looked out over a lovely courtyard and if you squinted and peeked around the corner, you could kinda, sorta, see the ocean.

The restaurant LeC was fine. Expensive. I found all the dinners on the French side to be expensive, but the food was generally better than at LeC. Especially considering the price.

Lunch wise the options were limited. You could eat inside at the casual restaurant but if you wanted to eat outdoors there was a small pool bar/restaurant. Very little shade. Menu options were also limited. No ice tea. One day I ordered a panini which was delicious but the next day, no paninis. And it took 15 min to tell me that. The alcohol drinks were very heavy on the liquor. Our mojito was truly undrinkable.

Beware: the beach, although extremely pretty is unexpectably narrow. We kept being told that was due to high tide, but it seemed to always be high tide. So whereas I expected a wide, white beach I found a narrow strip where you were always in danger of having water under your chair. The beach staff however was terrific.

The entire staff was friendly, helpful,and easy to deal with. Small issue: although the rooms were equipped with American plugs for laptops and phones, they were no for other appliances, like my daughters straight iron. When I asked about an adapter I was told no problem. For 4 euros I could have one. Really? A charge for an adapter? Never had that before. Seemed petty to me. My daughter lived without it for our stay.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank sbfmom
Thank you for giving us your feedback about your recent stay with us and for your nice comments about our staff. However, we are sorry to see that C Le Restaurant did not meet your expectations, I have shared your comments with the team, as well as your remark about the drink at the Beach Bar, we will make the necessary adjustments. The strong swell that we had this past few months had an impact on the size of our beach, but it is not like that all year round!
We hope you will be back to the Resort, you will notice the difference!
Attleboro, Massachusetts
Reviewed March 10, 2013

My wife and myself had the pleasure to visit the middle of march on and incentive trip for 6 nights.
Our hosts provided the boat transfer from the airport nice option. Check in was a litttle slow but keep in mind we had a large group. I don't think most of the time it would be a problem. Great location on a picture perfect beach. We stayed in a marine suite and were impressed. Breakfast was included and had something for everyone and geat service. We rented a car for one day to drive over to orient beach and grand case both real close to the hotel. Loved Saint Martin and the Radisson Blu.

Room Tip: Marina suite worth the up charge