“Relaxing but expensive” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
Napa, California
“Relaxing but expensive”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Nice hotel, nice rooms but so expensive

Whys so much for a cocktail In Napa we pay $5 in Radisson blu nearly $15?

There are nicer hotels on St. Martin and we moved to the Westin for our last 3 days, much better place and much cheapre

the hill on the way is impossible it makes feel like you trapped in anes marcel

Room Tip: Stay at the Westin!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Sophie Y
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thank you for writing a review on Trip Advisor. We are sorry that our Resort did not meet your expectations.
We hope that for your next visit to St Martin, you will give us the opportunity to recoup your confidence.
Best regards,
Jean-marc Jalbert - General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (396)
dc
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

Don't know either it was because I was from America, they don't think I don,t value my money, the fact that I'm under 40 over 30 and my girlfriend is attractive .......

I couldn't quite figure it out!

I received over 100usd in 'Resort Fees' when I asked what they were there for they explained that it was to clean the pool. When I asked them to remove it they said confronted me and I felt physically threatened. Now I'm talking to the FTC and my lawyers about getting my money and at least a partial refund of my trip.

Second part ....

Would you pay 50usd for buffet of roasted chicken and who ever heard of sweet potato with augratin? Sweet potato with cheese, REALLY!!!

I don't really understand resort travel. Since I travel the global what I appreciate is value. For what I paid for here I certainly expected better everything than I received. But what baffles me is that I'm the only complaining. Do the Europeans get better service and is it less expensive for them? Are they rich and don't care what they spend their money on? Do they have to pay resort fees to?

I'm really disappointed and left early.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
10 Thank ptroy
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Thank you for your review. We are trully sorry that you did not like your stay with us. The Resort fees are mentioned on our website and be sure our employees provide the same level of service to everyone no matter the country of origin. Again, we apologize for all inconveniences.
Best regards
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights in October. All I can say is wow! From the moment we arrived to to the moment we left everything was amazing. Staff very pleasant, offered to park car on arrival and was given a welcome drink which was appreciated after the drive from the airport! Hotel was only running at about 10% capacity so we got a free upgrade to a larger room not to mention very personal service from all staff. The rooms were very well presented, clean and fresh not to mention very large. They even supplied beach towels in the rooms which were very nicely scented. The infinity pool area was simply amazing and loved the seclusion of it as for the majority of the stay we had it to ourselves. Restaurant was very good for breakfast and as they had low occupancy it was al a carte for breakfast although if you wanted something not on the menu it was no problem for them to make it. Only had one dinner at the restaurant during the whole stay as it was overpriced and the menu was not really exciting. The only real let down for some (but in my opinion) was the distance from everything, the hotel is very secluded and about a 45 min drive from the airport and 20 minutes from Marigot village but to be honest I really enjoyed the seclusion. Overall a great experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for the review. We are glad that you appreciated the Resort and that you had a great experience!
We hope to see you soon!
Cordialement;
Houston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

Fantastic place with a formal garden of extraordinary beauty. It is wonderful just to walk around this resort. Rooms are very spacious, clean and comfortable. Sleep Number mattresses on beds are quite a plus, along with very high thread count sheets. You will sleep well! Wells are very thick and the place is quiet. Nice bathrooms (but don't forget that outlets are 220 V, so bring adaptors). Also, it is not to hard to make a mess on the floor when taking a shower, this is kind of a 'French thing'. Toiletries provided for guests are of unusually high quality. Breakfast is included and is good, nothing really special but good. Don't bother to take any of your other meals at this hotel, the food on the French side of St. Martin is fantastic. The hotel is on the remote northern part of the island. The road to reach it is a bit windy. If you stay here I think you really ought to rent a car. Driving in St. Martin is not bad at all, so don't hesitate. Roads are narrow but traffic is not bad and people are not insane in cars. Staff are very helpful and solve all problems. They do have some sort of weird high tech thing in the room minibar that goes haywire and ends up charging everybody for the entire contents of the minibar whether you take anything or not. The staff will fix this at once. The concierge was really effective.

All in all this is a really great resort---from what I could see after quite a bit of exploring the best on St. Martin. Far better than anything on the Dutch side. The Dutch side has bars, nightlife, strip clubs, casinos and brothels. The French side has restaurants and more relaxed bars. Both sides have incredible beaches. You can get from the tip of one side to the other tip by car in 40 minutes or less. You will sleep better on the French side, and this is definitely the nicest resort there. I recommend this place with no hesitation at all based on my five nights there.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Houstonscientist
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We are thrilled that you liked your stay with us. We hope to see you again soon!
Odenton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2012

To celebrate my 50th with my wonderful friends, Karen, Doran and Jill we decided to go to St. Martin and we could not have picked a more wonderful vacation for our "Girls Get Away" trip! We booked it through Apply Vacations! Breakfast buffet every morning, lunch and drinks on our own private beach and dinner in Grand Case (minutes away) plus the spa! The staff lived up to the "The Friendly Island" reputation. We did an excursion in Philipsburg on a catamaran called "Maribella" with Neal and Don as the crew and it was worth every penny and more! Would definitely go back. If you are looking for a vacation place, look no further and book it!
Tina (The Birthday Girl)

Room Tip: Every room is perfect!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Tina,
Thank you for this great review! We are more than happy that you had a wonderful birthday with your friends at the Radisson Blu St Martin!
We hope you will be back soon!!
Mullica Hill, New Jersey, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2012

My family and I just spent a week at the beautiful Radisson Blu in Anse Marcel. The photos do not do this resort justice. It is nestled between two small mountains on a beautiful pristine beach which makes you feel like you are in your own private oasis. It's a quick taxi ride to the amazing cuisine of Grand Case where we dined every night during our stay. I had the pleasure of making several visits to the spa which were amazing. The spa is the best I have seen at any five star resort. It's a must stay for any trip to Saint Martin.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lisa S
Thank you for this really nice review about our Resort. We are very happy that you enjoyed your experience and that the Spa left such a good impression!
We look forward to welcoming you again very soon.
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Never thought that Radisson would have such a lovely property in its portfolio.
The Hotel itself is very secluded and quaint, situated on the far end of the French part of the island.
Being on the French side, we thought that we would have a hard time communicating with the locals. Au contraire, mes amis. Turns out, most of the locals do speak fairly good English.
Everyone on the hotel’s staff was polite and receptive to all our requests and questions. Claudette, the concierge, shared a wealth of information regarding the local restaurants. Front desk and lobby bartender (Claudius) were super and gave us pointers regarding local beaches and how to get there. We received a room upgrade without even asking for it. A nice touch.
Buildings are situated a bit off the beach, but a 100 yard walk is not a big deal. The entire property is immaculate, including the beach and rooms themselves. The mini bar is well stacked. A bit pricey when converting to dollars, but this is not a three star hotel. Besides, there are stores on the main road where one could purchase bottled water and snack, if desired.
Bed had an air mattress and bed sheets were well taken care of and of nice quality. Plenty of good pillows on the bed and towels in the bathroom. Though the toiletries were a bit sub-par quality and toilette paper reminded me of an office bathroom. A/C was working good, no noise and no condensation spots on the ceiling.
As mentioned before, the entire place is well taken care of. Paint, caulking, plumbing, floors.
Breakfast was a typical island breakfast. Variety of items was more than sufficient. I can even say that at times it was an overkill and redundant. The selection of cold cuts and cheeses was a lack luster. But again, this is a minor thing. Coffee press and espresso machine were a nice touch.
In conclusion, reluctantly, I have to say that the hotel restaurant’s menu is not what one would expect from a place that I have just praised. Restaurant’s aspirations that are so eloquently described in its menu, fall short of its mark. It offends my intellect and my pocket. An appetizer that blatantly combines baby octopus (ordinary Japanese restaurant appetizer), spicy calamari ( we get that in Costco) and plain seaweed, hardly is a worthwhile choice, especially for17 EU.
Place gets overall high marks.

Room Tip: Garden View is a plus.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank vladmeisterNYC
Jean-marc J, General Manager at Hotel Riu Palace St Martin, responded to this review, November 26, 2012
Thank you for the review! We are thrilled that you liked your stay at the Radisson Blu St Martin. We are, nevertheless, sorry that the food did not meet your expectations.
We hope to see you back again soon!
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anse Marcel
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort & Casino

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!