“pool and people are great...room not so much...”

Hotel Riu Palace St Martin
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Anse Marcel
chicago
“pool and people are great...room not so much...”
Reviewed October 20, 2011

Had a great time ther.. the views and pool are spectacular!! although the room was nice it was dated and needed some upgrading. so did the hallways.. there was a power outage for 6 hours starting around sundown. We were fortunante and were in our room. Keys would not work without electricity! Wew were able to shower and leave for a great dinner in Grand Case. When we returned the same people in their beach clothes were still sitting under candlelite in the lobby. We were lucky!

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed September 27, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Radisson Blu for two nights last March on our way to St. Bart's. We found the hotel convenient to the Grand Case airport we were flying out of.

When we arrived our reservation was all in order, the valet parked the car for us and welcoming drinks were available. For us, the hotel was very good value since we were able to get 40% off the rack rate (which resulted in a per night rate of 204 euros) for bed and breakfast for two.

The room was very clean and bright and the beds comfortable. We were on an upper floor overlooking the common pathway to the beach. We found it quite quiet. The hotel is spread out over several buildings covering a large area and gives a feeling of spaciousness. There is the main reception/bar building and then several buildings of bedrooms, a separate restaurant and spa area, a very large pool and accompanying jacuzzi and a separate beach bar with light food right on the beach at the bay. There are a few small stores right at the marina by the hotel, but if you want more shopping variety and a large grocery store you need to go into nearby (by car) Grand Case. The marina is actually hidden from view of the main hotel grounds and is tucked in behind the hotel away from the beach.

We ate one dinner and both breakfasts in the hotel restaurant. The food was of good quality and at dinner the chef took the time to explain the various dishes on the extensive buffet. Food for dinner is not inexpensive though and if you are searching for cheaper fare, I would go to one of the excellent restaurants in Grand Case, which is a short drive away. That being said, we had absolutely no complaints with the food at the hotel.

All the staff were very friendly.

The beach area is in a small, calm bay. It is nice and clean and the bottom sandy with easy gradual entry and few waves. it is excellent for smaller children and adults as well.

We enjoyed our stay and plan to visit again this coming March for a longer time.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank mrtravcan
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed August 4, 2011

Maybe you remember that trip when you had been in a couple of hotels and your only wish was that the next one would be nice, quite and comfortable? Well, that was the case in here.
With a group of friends, boys and girls, different ages from 20 to 70, we were traveling in little planes around the Caribbean area. Not very pleased with the hotels in Bahamas and Dom. Republic, our hope was in the tip that this one was about to change the pattern....and Yes! it really delivered. For starters, we landed at the airport in the French side of the island (L'Esperance) and got a nice transfer in a mini bus to the hotel. There is only one way to arrive by land into the hotel location. The entrance is gated because security restrictions into this private beach. Arriving there is just amazing with a wonderful view on the little bay. The entrance of the hotel is simple, big and nice in a typical caribbean style. Check in was very friendly, slightly slow, but we were a bunch of around 30 people. Great welcome drink. We got a room in the first floor, pretty quite place to sleep long after hard nights having fun downtown. BTW, to go downtown you need to organize it since it takes a good 20 min over the hills. But the quietness of the place is worthwhile.
We got a nice view to the garden. The beach was about 40 meters in straight line from our window, however there is no view to the beach from the rooms. The construction s on two floors which allows for a beautiful view of the surrounding hills.
Excellent food in the restaurant by the pool. The breakfast is all you can eat with superb service and delicious and abundant choices.
Conclusion, if you want a smooth and private beach, first class service, a great room and bathroom this is a phenomenal option in the French side of St Maarten (or St Martin in french).

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank C-GPWF
New England
Reviewed July 29, 2011

I was fortunate enough to travel to St. Martin and the Radisson Blu with three colleagues on business (lucky me!) The resort, which has even undergone a renovation since I was there, is fabulous, from its friendly front desk staff and welcoming rum punch to VERY comfortable rooms and amazing shower to indoor/outdoor dining and a breakfast buffet that is bountiful and delicious. The setting along the beach (which is admittedly rather small) tucked among the mountains is lovely. St. Martin has some of the friendliest people in the Caribbean, and the staff at Radisson Blu were among them--helpful when advice was needed and very warm. Too bad I had to work. . .I want to return here with my family on vacation!

Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JanieD
Medford, New York
Reviewed July 22, 2011

My husband and I are seasoned travelers-we are retired and have travel around the world. We have stayed in at least 20 countries. I would not publish this without first contacting the Radisson which I did 3 times with no response.The property looks beautiful but was not well kept. The weeds were 8 inches high,the pool foot tubs were clogged( you had to walk into this stagnate water to get in and out of the pool)there was construction of the steps to the beach(so you had to walk down a steep incline)the floor tiles in the room were mostly broken or cracked(the hallway tiles were worse)the mirror in the elevator had the same fingerprints on it most of the week(it was the rustiest elevator I've ever been in)leaves blew into the hallways and were not always removed.
Some of the the people who worked there were the rudest I've ever met.Chris who checked us in was obnoxious to say the least. When I asked if it was possible to get a free upgrade since it was my birthday, he told me, "You get what you paid for." He told us nothing about the resort and he sent us to a room that was still being cleaned (we had to wait in the hallway.) He forgot to mention anything that was free. After four days of buying our breakfast we found out from another guest that the breakfast buffet was free. When I questioned this Chirs told me, "You should have known." He also forgot to mention that kayaking was free( my husband and I are avid kayakers but we didn't want to pay for it.) Unfortunately we spoke with someone who told us we had to pay for kayaking and towels.We couldn't figure out how this place was a resort.
The housekeeping was the worst ever. We never got the needed towels. I had to continually leave notes for housekeeping. Once at the front desk I gave a woman a note requesting washcloths and she said she would give it to them and then I saw her throw the note into the garbage can! Another time I went to a maid who was cleaning the next room and asked her for another washcloth (she had left only one-I held up one so there would be no communication problem.) She told me housekeeping didn't give her any then she turned her back on me. So I took the washcloth I needed off her cart.And by the way the towels were awful -dingy looking and almost worn through.
Since we had gone for my 60th birthday I was looking forward to eating at their restaurant by the water. When we spoke to an employee he said he wasn't sure if it would be open on Friday. My husband pulled me aside and said, " You don't want to eat here." He then brought me over to their grill which was crawling with bugs.
The final incident that made me go to management was disgusting (luckily it was on the last day.) We left to go to church. We hoped our room would be cleaned by time we returned. When we returned the room had not been cleaned but someone had been in the room (using it!) There was a fresh coffee stain on the blanket that went through to the sheets. I hate to think what they did in our room before they had their cup of coffee. I complained and insisted that they strip the bed. Claudette Davis was apologetic, however, her offer to stay an additional night was ridiculous to say the least (like we would pay for a change in flight to stay at the worst hotel ever!)

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
23 Thank Robracco
New York City, New York
Reviewed June 16, 2011

We enjoyed the hotel. Our favorite place to eat was the Italian place next door -- some of the best dishes I have ever had!! Nice pool and beach. We had been told that it was 15 min from the airport, so we were disappointed to find that the drive was A LOT longer!

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank NYC2020
marlboro, New Jersey, USA
Reviewed May 29, 2011

My wife an I have stayed at ten different islands and resorts over the past 30 years, and this is the property we come back to, now five times. We started coming here before Radisson owned it because we love the location. It is accessed from a private road, so the beach is very quiet, and it is a large (over 1/4 mile end to end) cove of white sand beach with free lounge chairs. We always come off-season, and rarely, are there more than 20 people on the entire beach (which is shared with two other hotels). The rooms are large and comfortable and well maintained. The hotel was refurbished just four years ago. There is free wireless internet which works well and is great for skype-ing your phone calls home. The beds are comfortable. The bathroom is up-to-date. The breakfast is plentiful and has more than enough choices. The staff are generally friendly although some times you need to adjust to "island speed", which means reaction is a lot slower than everywhere else. The restaurant is very good, though pricey as has been mentioned by many others. There are pool and physical activities, and 5pm alcohol fun on many days (don't miss the EUR 5 rum tasting, but the EUR 20 champagne was too expensive). While this is definitely no Ritz-Carlton, which I've stayed at several, the location, the grand property, the beach, cleanliness, pool, fitness center, room size and comfort are outstanding at a good price point. Finally I do suggest you rent a car, which can be had for $25/day, because it is cheaper than a taxi and you will want to get out of the area sometimes for shopping and restaurants at Orchard Beach or Grand Case, either less than 20 minutes drive.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
#6 of 8 in Orient Bay
Sonesta Great Bay Beach Resort, Casino & Spa
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort
Sonesta Maho Beach Resort, Casino & Spa

Been to Hotel Riu Palace St Martin? Share your experiences!