“Surprising local restaurant”

Cuisines: French
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed September 16, 2013

The outside of this restaurant does not suggest anything special. Entering via the small bar area, to a rather plain indoor eating area, did nothing to suggest that we were in for a high quality French provincial meal.

The menu is quite short - two 'set menus' from which were were invited by the charming owner/waitress to select whatever we wanted. My wife had a tomato tartare dish that was similar in flavour to a good bruschetta, while I had goat's cheese and pesto. Served with wonderfully fresh bread and in large portions, both were excellent. For mains we had the beef steak - well cooked and served with potato bravas, grilled zucchini and red wine sauce. Perhaps a little too much salt on the steak, but delicious nonetheless. For desert we had a beautiful creme brulee and a disk of selected ice creams include the best strawberry I have tasted..

Together with a carafe of wine, bottle of water and coffees, the entire meal cost $60 euros. We considered it good value. If there were not many other restaurants in the area to try, we would be back to Grand Ma's.

2  Thank ChrisandJudy1000

Reviewed September 16, 2013

Everything that you imagine for a local french village restaurant - great atmosphere, charming staff, well-priced 'menu fixe', tasty wholesome food. brilliant!

1  Thank Jon M
Reviewed August 21, 2013 via mobile

We enjoyed our night out but thought it weird that all the other three tables on the terrace were also from the UK. Oh well can't be helped, it was a Tuesday!
Food delicious.

1  Thank nutbrown5
Reviewed June 17, 2013

Nice food from a simple menu. €12 a head for the traditional three course lunch. Weirdly, the bill didn't tally up to what we had but I only noticed it after I had left as I was rushing after my wife and child. Clearly, I should have gone back to sort it out but it was definitely incorrect so as one should always do in restaurants, please check your bill.

Word of caution to families with small children, they didn't have a baby seat. We ate outside, which was nice, and had to create a baby chair from stacking garden chairs... It was fine for us in the end but they should really get a baby chair. As fair as I understand it, they get quite a few couples with young children so it is not an unreasonable ask.

Overall it was a nice simple lunch fand or €12 a head it is worth a visit.

Reviewed May 26, 2013

It was our first meal in France and we were travel weary, jet lagged and unable to call up any of our limited (very limited) French. Our server was helpful although her English was limited, made us feel comfortable and the food was delicious. Highly recommended.