“Dining here is a unique, unforgettable experience.”

Auberge de la Riviere Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 1 Restaurants in Velluire
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed May 23, 2013

My wife and I spent a most enjoyable evening here last week with a friend of ours. Both my wife and her friend have dined here before, but for me it was a first time. My wife had raved about it and I have to say, she wasn't wrong! We chose to €26.00 menu, the cheapest and I consider that it proved to be extremely good value for money. The quality of the food, the attention to detail and the presentation is second to none. It is difficult to describe the items that we received, but it is fair to say that the staff who prepared the meal are artists. and their product is a joy to behold. This is a MUST TRY establishment and I look forward to my next visit there from Angleterre.

Reviewed October 20, 2012

Pretty expensive dining here. Food is good but overly pricy. Nice setting by the river but we found the accommodation was basic.

Reviewed October 18, 2012

This is a restaurant which could be something really special. It is in a pretty location. The dining room is charming (though not as charming as it used to be in years gone by). The staff are attentive. The food is excellent. BUT why do they go over the top with strange additions of over ambitious bits and pieces, which add nothing to the food. It is somewhat reminiscent of Regis Marcon at St. Bonnet le Froid, where everything you are presented with is over decorated, embellished to death. At St. Bonnet, there is so much added that the food is over-shadowed by effort.. and this is a little the same at Auberge de la Riviere. The menu was wonderful..and at E55 for the top priced menu excellent value for money. The quality of the ingredients speak for themselves... they are not in need of fancy pieces of decoration. We had a wonderful fois gras dish, followed by an even more delicious mushroom and ecrivisse dish and wonderful fillet steak. There is a E35 menu also, which is well planned and again really good value for money. They just don't need to make so much over the top effort to embellish the food. An excellent wine list, though it would have been nice to have had a wider mouthed glass for an extremely expensive red wine, which would have permitted it to breathe more quickly.

This is a very special well located restaurant. It could undoubtedly be a "must visit" place .. and is deserving of watching very closely. If only they simplified the plates a little, it would be so much better. Quality not quantity is what they should be practicing.

We would undoubtedly return because good restaurants in the Vendee by Fontenay le Comte are few and far between. It is a romantic spot and we thoroughly recommend it.

Reviewed July 25, 2012

Excellent set menu option, courses went on for every - if only we knew we would have skipped lunch !!

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I have been lucky enough to have been here three times now and each time it has been just fabulous. I have traveled quite a bit and have yet to find food as good or presented as well. It is quite a feast for the eyes as well as the stomach as each course looks a work of art. Lunch is great value and you can relax outside afterwards in the lovely pleasant surroundings. A real chill factor here. Already looking forward to my next visit!