“Past Its Prime”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Gorkhi Terelj National Park
Tuul Riverside Lodge
Reviewed November 16, 2013

Avoid. The place is oversold as a premium destination. The yurt was tatty - peeling felt, dirty floors, non functional showers, stale bedding. The web site claims: "En-suite facilities in all gers with shower unit and hot and cold running water." This is inaccurate; we got a trickle of cold water for 2 hours in the morning and an hour in the evening. The manager refused to start the pump even after our 6 year-old fell and we needed water to clean the cut. The shower was broken, as were most fixtures in the bathroom. When it rained at night, water came down in great rivulets from the holes in the felt and made the inside of the yurt wet. I thought I would mention this to the German owner; when I got hold of her after 2 days of trying, she was was enraged at my temerity to complain and basically threatened to put me on the next transport back to ULN. Very disappointed with both standards and attitudes, USD 50/night yurt places in the rest of the wonderful country of Mongolia are better than this.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Tuul Riverside Lodge

Reviewed October 8, 2013

We loved our stay at the Tuul Riverside Lodge. Our young (7 and 10) children loved it, too. The ger was wonderful. Beautifully furnished and homey. Stove was lit for us in the morning and evening. Food was excellent, lots of choices and tasty. Horseback riding was a highlight! We rode to the horseman's home and had tea with he and his wife. I was so pleased with the experience. The kids even got to trot a bit. Wonderful family time. Everything from booking until we left Mongolia was taken care of beautifully. I can't say enough wonderful things about our experience!

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Amy V
Reviewed September 24, 2013

This was a wonderful ger camp. It was gorgeous and they attended to our every need. We're vegetarians, which can be difficult in Mongolia. No problem. The food was lavish, wonderful. It was September and the trees were golden. I've never been to a more beautiful spot. We'd brought bikes from Ulaanbaatar, but the mountain bikes at the Lodge were solid and would have worked well.

When my husband needed to go to the hospital, I was so grateful we'd booked here. They mobilized jeeps, SUVs and the company doctor. They sent one of the ladies from the kitchen so that the doctors could know what he'd eaten. The hospitality director stayed with us in the emergency room and took us to a hotel when we got out. Our rented bikes were stored in the company garage until I could deal with them. They provided continuing support until we left Mongolia. It was extraordinary. We'd only booked one night at the Lodge, and they treated us like family.

It's lovely to go to the back of beyond, a great privilege. Usually everything goes off without a hitch, in which case Tuul Riverside Lodge is the place. So lovely and so much to do. In a place somewhat lacking in infrastructure, though, it's nice to know you're staying with people who can get you through. This is definitely the place.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Sara Y
Reviewed August 31, 2013

We spent a few days there after being in UB for a day or so. The gers are beautifully furnished and comfortable, the service brilliant and the staff so helpful and friendly. The food was delicious and we never had the same thing twice. The surrounding area was amazing for hiking, riding, biking and all kinds of outdoor activities. The off roading truck journey into the camp is great fun and a welcome relief after sitting in the traffic of UB. Its a peaceful and refreshing place to be which is fab for travellers needing a couple of nights of comfort, families and couples. The camp manager, Inghyer was particularly friendly and Suzan at the office was really helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kerensa C
Reviewed August 21, 2013

Faith can be rewarded.

I had read the reviews of TRL and contacted Suzan by email requesting accommodation in August. She responded quickly advising that space was available and provided a list of options that we may like to participate in. Having chosen I was then presented with an invoice and an account to credit. I have to say that it takes a leap of faith to transfer money to someone with whom the only contact has been by email. However it was done and we arrived in UB, stopped at the Sunjin grand and on the appointed day checked out and waited for the transport to turn up.

Bang on 1100, the agreed collection time, a minibus arrived and we were taken to the Hotel Mongolia where we stopped for 20 minutes awaiting the arrival of the 'bigger vehicle'. We took time out to stretch legs and generally mess about whilst we waited. Everything was quiet in the car park..... And then the Unimog rocked up.

Now I have bashed round the world and know and love Landcruisers and Defenders however when things get serious, a Unimog is what some might consider as a bit of a Carlsberg moment.

The ladder (yes they are that high) was attached and we all climbed into the back and off we shot. Initially a Unimog seemed a bit of overkill, however as we left UB and the terrain changed it became the logical choice as the roads faded away and rutted tracks became the norm.

To get to the camp (location 47 53 07.45N 107 14 13.87E) we had to cross the Tuul river and it was funny watching the wife and kids experience this. After the river crossing we did a couple more streams before heading off into the hills to get to the camp. The driver was excellent and the Unimog didn't falter.

Having arrived at the camp we were met by the camp manager ENKHEE (Enkh-Yeah) who was able to answer any questions we had and showed us to our Ger. Our Ger was semi-deluxe and had a queen sized bed along with a separate double which was idea for the kids. The beds had mosquito nets fitted above them. In the centre of the Ger was a very efficient wood burning stove that was lit in the evening and in the morning by one of the camp staff - it proved to be a very efficient space heater. The Ger had a bathroom unit fitted to the side in which there was a nice warm water shower, sink, and toilet.

Meals were eaten in a communal Ger and the food was well prepared, good quality and sufficient quantity for the number of guests staying at the time.

For our time there I had booked archery and fishing and planned to take time out hill walking with the wife and kids, however horse riding and evening fires were arranged through Enkhee at short notice. No request seemed to be too much for him.

The night before we left the heavens opened and it rained solidly. When we left at 1100 the small streams we had crossed on the way to the camp had become rivers and the river was swollen and more of a challenge, however the driver was competent and the Unimog did what it needed to.

We stopped once again at the Hotel Mongolia and transferred to the minibus however, before being dropped off at our hotel, I made a point of going to meet Suzan to thank her for such a wonderful experience.

On the whole a great family experience and one that I would recommend to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank AdMiZaSa
Suzan S, General Manager at Tuul Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2014

Dear Adam,
Thank you so much for your positive review. Reading it makes me smile: your review is not only a pleasure to read, but also a vivid account of traveling to the lodge, which is valuable to all readers.
To immerse your two children in different cultures is of great benefit to them and to their future environment, were ever that may be.
Seeing you at the office after your visit to the lodge filled me with joy, I remember it well.
We look forward to welcoming you to the lodge again some time.
I trust and hope that you and your family are well.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

Tuul lodge is a step up from the average Mongolian ger camp. Its best features are the newer Ikea brand bedding and the private bathroom attached to the tent.

However, don't expect a hotel quality stay. It's still a semi-camping environment. Travel is through rugged terrain which could be somewhat dangerous in rain. There are some issues with their solar panels which resulted in our tent not having power at all for its single light bulb.

Hours for hot water and electricity is limited to the few hours they run the generator. Water flow may suddenly stop due to water supply being interrupted. There's a slight gap between the tent and the bathroom which will leak during rain. Be careful when walking outside the tents at night because there's no lighting; there were fresh manure on the ground during my stay.

Service is above average for a Mongolian ger. You would have to trek to the restaurant/kitchen tent to get staff's attention.

My best experience there was the horseback ride through the hills.

Room Tip: Schedule your stay during good weather; consider alternate plans if rain is in the forecast. Ensure...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ajlmus
Suzan S, Managing Director at Tuul Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded March 28, 2014

Dear guest

I wonder how to put this but: I run a ger camp in the middle of no-where, not a city hotel; I never promote the Lodge as a “hotel”. The Lodge is listed wrongly with Trip Adviser, which is regrettable. We tried to get that changed, without any success - we will try again, promised!

Thanks also for noting that we are "one step ahead/above average" regarding our service, facility and our feather duvets and bed clothing, (which we import to Mongolia to increase your well-being and happiness). I'm also happy that you enjoyed your horse ride with us!

Your kindness in promoting the good qualities of Tuul Riverside Lodge in your review was very much appreciated. However, your advice to travel/visit only on sunny days is funny - luckily, Mongolia has more than 260 sunny days per year to offer!

Should you ever have an opportunity to stay with us again, we will, as always, strive to ensure your comfortable visit. May you enjoy the blessings of good food, new friends, peace, an umbrella for rain, and the comfort of a warm fire wherever your travels may lead in your future.

Suzan

Reviewed July 26, 2013

My 7 year old and I had a mother and daughter trip to Mongolia (me for work and her for experience). I decided to take her to stay in a Mongolian ger to experience life outside of a hotel room and city. Tuul Riverside Lodge is the perfect balance between modern (hot water, amazing meals) and rugged outdoors (beautiful scenery, quiet solitude of the outdoors and of course the obligatory bugs (which totally freaked out the city kid)). From the camp manager (Enkh) to the horseman (Bataa) to the wonderful people who worked behind the scenes to make the stay a comfortable one - it was an amazing and wonderful experience. TRL is only a short drive away (the drive itself is amazing with offroad experience that my kid loved!) from the hustle and pollution of UB but once you're there...you can imagine life as a Mongolian nomad. We also visited the horseman's family and they absolutely made you feel welcome. Highly recommended but bring the bug spray!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Suzan S, General Manager at Tuul Riverside Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 19, 2014

Dear Joan,
Thank you so much for your critique on tripadvisor!
It is a delight to know that your daughter’s and your experience in Mongolia is a memorable one, thank you also for uploading pictures of your visit! Critiques like yours are encouraging and helpful; we now have a supply of bug spray at the lodge.
We trust that the two of you are well, and hope that we might welcome you again in Mongolia some time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Gorkhi Terelj National Park
#10 of 106 in Ulaanbaatar
My Mongolia Eco Ger Camp
My Mongolia Eco Ger Camp
#16 of 106 in Ulaanbaatar

Been to Tuul Riverside Lodge? Share your experiences!