“Fabulous experience!”

Wairaurahiri Jet
Ranked #1 of 7 things to do in Tuatapere
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Jet boat into the heart of Fiordland South Island's ultimate jet boat ride! We will take you on a trip of a life time. 94 Km’s of jet boating into the heart of Fiordland National Park and back; travel across Lake Hauroko and down to the rugged southern coast via the wild Wairaurahiri River. Our All Day Adventure includes, personal guided nature walks and a delicious kiwi style BBQ For your comfort on the colder days, we have fitted heated hand rails to our boat, along with woolly hats and over sized water proof oil skin coats for our guests to use while aboard. These are a great addition to help you to enjoy our already awesome boat trip The River: The Wairaurahiri River, 34 km of rugged rock strewn grade three rapids that drop 600 feet to sea level. These are the conditions which make the Wairaurahiri Jet such an exciting ride! Trampers: We can pick up or drop off - links with Hump Ridge Track and South Coast Track. Plus other packages, Helicopter, Jet boat adventure, over night adventure, or Twilight adventures trips. Our safety: Johan, (owner operator) has over 20 years experience on the river. Our twin engine jet boat is specially designed to handle the conditions of this remote area. We believe our boat is 200% safer than any other operator on this river as we are the only boat with two engines. Twice the safety and comfort. Safety Audits Wairaurahiri Jet is also audited yearly by Maritime NZ, Wairaurahiri Jet is the only boat on the river that is an approved activity and has achieved a Gold Enviro award Qualmark. New Zealand, tourism bench mark.
Airlie Beach, Australia
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“Fabulous experience!”
Reviewed March 6, 2013

I took my Nanna on this trip approximately two years ago. I just stumbled across it on trip advisor today. You must do this day trip! We had such a fantastic day hearing all the information and most of all enjoying the jet boat ride.
When we arrived at Waitutu Lodge, we were cooked a kiwi style lunch and i tell you it was good!!! Such beautiful scenery and one of the most special experiences of my life shared with my Nanna. It is a memory I'll treasure for the rest of my life. It appears Johan is a very experienced jet boat operator and has extensive knowledge of the area, which he openly shared with us.
I can't recommend this highly enough!!
Please note I had to include what kind of visit this is, I put family with teens, although I took my nana. I feel this would be suitable for all ages.

Visited April 2012

Melbourne, Australia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Fantastic - highly recommend it”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

Had the best time. Very informative - Johan encouraged questions. He was very knowledgeable about the area, flora, fauna, its history and current happenings. Great lunch with walks and short hikes encouraged during stops and lunch. Very amenable to picking and dropping off people at needed huts. After the trip on the way back, Johan dropped us off at Teal Bay Hut with our additional supplies and arranged to pick us back up a few days later, which happened really smoothly. It was great. Can't say enough good things. Loved that the whole experience was natural, adventurous - without being touristy. Would love to do it again!

Visited February 2013
1 Thank Karen D
Bend, Oregon
“Loved IT!”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

The Wairaurihiri Jet Boat ride is a fantastic ride and a wonderful way to experience a remote portion of Fiordland National Park. You get spectacular views of the mountains around Lake Hauroko and then a thrilling ride down the Wairaurihiri River through the native forest, to the sea! Johan, the Jet Boat operator, gives a great ride and tour, explaining some of the geology, history, and ecology of the area along the way. Then there is a wonderful lunch at the lodge not far from the sea and the trip back is just as thrilling as the trip down. It's a much richer experience than other jet boat rides in my opinion and just loved it. My family loved it too!

Visited January 2013
Auckland Region, New Zealand
“Great value for money. Thrilling and educational.”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

We started our trip with a cruise across Lake Lake Hauroko (NZ deepest lake) and learned about the lake, the surrounding area and Johan & Joyces environmental involvement in the area including a successful stoat trapping programme. Leaving the lake we had a thrilling ride down the Wairaurahiri River to the sea. Followed by a big scrumptious BBQ lunch at Waitutu Lodge. This trip was fantastic value for money especially when compared to other jet boating companies and I would recommend it to people of all ages. After lunch my friend and I set off along the 35km Hump Ridge Track. Along the way passing through beautiful bush, massive rimu trees, along beautiful desserted beaches and across historic viaducts including the largest wooden viaduct in the world, the Percy Burn which will sadly be closed after the summer tramping season.

Visited January 2013
Chester, England, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“One of our holiday highlights”
Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was an utterly exhilarating experience. The ride was fast and full of tight bends as we skimmed along the river. My children, aged 12 and 13, loved it and thought Johan was just as cool as it is possible to get in a woolly hat! He managed to convey the conservation message in a compelling way and convey the vulnerability of the birdlife. We felt immersed in the landscape of the temperate rainforest, accessing a location so remote by taking the jetboat. While we were eating the BBQ lunch a wave pushed the boat too far onto the gravel bank so Johan had to phone a friend to tow it back into the river - with his helicopter! Great video footage.

Worth knowing: It's a long drive to get there; the last 13 miles to Lake Hauroko are on gravel track. The boat trip is pretty bumpy and there's lots of spray; not a place for bad backs or expensive cameras, perhaps. There were more sandflies by Lake Hauroko than anywhere else on our NZ travels; be prepared...

Visited December 2012