Book In Advance

from $87.20
from $303.90
from $227.10
More Info
All reviews tyne cot buried here memorial wall the commonwealth war graves commission row upon row sheer number white headstones their lives sheer scale brings home pill boxes fallen soldiers emotional experience moving place resting place car park small museum
Reviewed yesterday

Found our visit to Tyne Cot an incredibly moving experience - the sheer scale of the monuments and the graves lovingly tended are an incredible sight. Welcome free cuppa in the Car Park.

Reviewed yesterday

One of the most moving and haunting places on earth. After 100 years since the end of WW1 these graves still bring a person to tears whether or not there is a family member buried or inscribed on the walls here.
During my visit, I noted that only a week earlier, two Australians and one British unknown soldiers had been interred in fresh graves where the name was unknown. I suspect there will be many, many more in years to come with construction and so-on unearthing old soldiers bodies and remains.
RIP
We will remember them

Reviewed 2 days ago

This is a very bifurcated memorial.

The cemetery and memorial wall to the dead who could not be identified is understated but powerful in its simplicity. I was there on 10th November and the number of visitors searching for the names of their relatives was overwhelming (more than any of the other memorials I visited). I did find the inscription for one of my uncle's (no body to bury) who died at Passchendaele. The one thing that jarred was the number of people climbing and sitting on the cross in the center of the cemetery.

The visitor center is a different story. Considering this is the largest commonwealth cemetery in the world the visitor center is an embarrassment. It is tiny, crowded and almost non-existent in its explanation fo the war and conditions on the battlefield. In contrast to the Australian, Canadian and French visitor centers it is amateurish in the extreme. I understand that there is a major center on the Somme at Thiepval but Passchendaele surely deserves its own.

Reviewed 2 days ago

In my opinion everyone should visit at least one of these grave sites in their lifetime. Names on the walls of bodies never found. It is important that we pay our respects. A group of us travelled to lay a wreath at the location of a soldier who worked for our company before world war 1. His body was never recovered and we do not know if any of his relatives are still alive. We just wanted to pay our respects. The graves and the ground are immaculate and if visited you will be moved!!

Reviewed 2 days ago

12000 soldiers remembered here,around 11000 unnamed! Definitely worth the visit,it certainly makes you think how lucky we are compared to all those poor men and women who gave their lives for world peace.All the regiments and the known dead inscripted into the wall memorials,even those fro Australia a,New Zealand ,Canada etc.
Quite a moving emotional visit.
All the names of the known are continuously read out within the reception building,and pictures shown as well.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Visited Tyne Cot Cemetery on 11/11/2018 as part of my pilgrimage to Ypres Salient tour weekend. Was very overwhelmed when I got here and had to take a moment to compise myself. Placed a poppy cross on the grave of an unknown soldier and also placed a poppy cross on the floor beneath the 'Lincolnshire' regimental names of the unknown soldiers.

Reviewed 2 days ago

For anyone with an interest in the forces in Flanders during WW1 this is a MUST place to visit. Even in the cold of November and after the busiest weekend, the site is immaculate. I have visited many times and the memorial never fails to impress and leave a haunting memory.
My only criticism is that the guests should not climb on the memorials to gain a vantage point to take pictures.

Reviewed 2 days ago

The largest commonwealth memorial cemetry in the world. This place is another must see, we all must have had relative generations ago that went to war and lost their lives to save ours, there's over ten thousand here, spend some time here and contemplate it's well worth it to understand.

Reviewed 2 days ago

Only when you visit this area can you begin to comprehend the loss, the countryside is littered with cemeteries of all sizes. As the largest Allied cemetery, Tyne Cot is an essential part of any visit. Beautifully kept as all the sites are, it is an honour to visit. The small visitor centre with letters to and from loved ones, and the rolling video showing details of some of the fallen should not be missed either. Very close to Ypres with good facilities and parking.

Reviewed 2 days ago via mobile

As with all of the memorials and cemeteries this place is really well kept.

It’s very emotional walking around places like this and seeing just how young some of the fallen were.

They need to be remembered and most definitely will.