“A little piece of Heaven” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Edge Mountain Retreat

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Hogsback
The Edge Mountain Retreat
Ranked #3 of 6 Hogsback B&B and Inns
Cape Town
“A little piece of Heaven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a holiday which included 6 days at The Edge. We loved every minute of our time there. We stayed in 'Thunderstone', right on the edge. The view from our stoep was stunning and when we weren't out hiking through the unspoiled forested valley to the waterfalls, or climbing to the top of Tor Doone, we sat and read in unforgettable surroundings. We ate at the restaurant four times and were never disappointed. The food was very, very good (and I am fussy!). Service at reception by the ladies manning the desk was always friendly and helpful. We loved the Great Danes and the tabby. Our cottage was very spacious and was well equipped. Nice big bathroom with a double shower. We will tell all our friends about The Edge. Thank you for helping to make our holiday such a happy one!

Room Tip: Thunderstone, Over the Edge, Cliffside, Heavens Above - all the cottages close to the edge
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
Durban, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

A colleage and myself had to go to HOGSBACK - Eastern Cape - South Africa on business and THE EDGE kindly hosted us for 3 days. Living in South Africa, I had previously heard about HOGSBACK but never knew that it would be one of the most beautiful places to visit in the world. Hogsback is a little town high up on a mountain surrounded by beautiful pine forests with the most spectacular hikes featruing waterfalls, beautiful scenery and amazing flora & fauna. The EDGE MOUNTAIN RETREAT is built on the edge of a cliff and has very friendly staff and the food is absolutely "too die for". This resort also has its very own Labyrinth with a diameter of 29 metres and a circumference of 91 meters. I am the publisher of many travel guides and therefore travel all over the world - I would highly recommend this destination to everyone as it is a MUST SEE! - Rene Hartslief

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Canmore, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 8, 2012

We stayed at the Lavendar cottage in the Edge compound in Hogsback for two nights. This was a one room rondovel which was well equipped and maintained although a little old. It is located in a beautiful location in Hogsback. Even though it was equiped with a kitchen we chose to eat dinner both nights at their restaurant which was excellent. Hogsback is a little mountain community that seems like a throw back to the sixties. It is also the first tourist area we went to in South Africa where the dominant tourist is actually a South African. It is renowned for its hiking which was a little difficult due to the record rainfall which made the trails quite treacherous.

Room Tip: All the units are quite nice but they are quite far apart from each other and the main office
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 20, 2012

My husband and I recently got married and had our wedding at The Edge... and it was the best decision that we ever made. We really wanted a venue that was naturally beautiful, that had a bit of a rustic feel and that was out of town so that we could make a weekend of the occasion. Most importantly, we wanted great food... and my word, The Edge's food is sooooo yummy, all the wedding guests complimented the chef!!!

Having a wedding out of town can be a very stressful task and this was something I was very nervous about. I must be honest and say that The Edge were really fantastic!!! Whenever they answered the phone, they welcomed my call with "hello my sweety" and spoke about the wedding plans with such joy and confidence. If I couldn't get through to Paul (my wedding organiser at Edge), he phoned me back as soon as he got the message, he emailed regularly... I felt like I was the most important bride to them for ALL the months leading up to the wedding which was really special as I don't know of any other places that would do the same.

On the wedding weekend Paul and his excellent team of helpers worked really hard and brought our dream wedding to life. I didnt even have to tell Paul what I wanted him to do... because he had already done it. He was so organised and his staff were so helpful and friendly too. My guests all complimented the staff on their excellent service.

As I said earlier... the food was amazing!!! The guests could not stop talking about how good it was. When we left for photo's, we were scared the guests were going to be agitated as we took a little longer than we hoped, but when we arrived back - they all just raved about how amazing the snacks and punch were and they were sad that we missed out!!! We decided to have a plated menu of two options for each course. I felt like we were eating at a fine dining restaurant as each plate was beautifully presented, very generous portions and tasted really good.

Most of my guests spent the entire weekend at the Edge in the accomodation, and all of them loved their rooms. What I loved, is that some of the guests brought their children or some family with, and they treated our wedding weekend as a family get away too. Hogsback has got so much beauty to offer and so in the free time, our guests would go walk in the forests, waterfalls or looked at some of the delightful little curio shops.

All in all... this was a fantastic experience for us and if you are looking for the perfect venue - here it is!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with family
Durban
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed here for one night but wish it had been longer....did not have time to explore the wonderful Hogsback area...so very different form the rest of the Eastern Cape. We stayed in 2 garden rooms....very clean and adequate but must be freezing in winter!!! Gardens are lovely and it is so peaceful. The staff were very friendly and helpful ( we had a flat tyre on way in), the food was excellent and service outstanding. Views from the edge were magnificent and the labyrinth and refective pool intriguing. Cycled aroung area and did a short walk but there is so much more ......

Room Tip: If you are staying a few days choose one of the cottages on the edge with the magnificent views..you...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Hitchin, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 7, 2011

Me and the missus stayed at The Edge for just one night but 'twas a very memorable experience. Not only is it an incredible spot with stunning views and plenty to do in the vicinity ( we hiked to waterfalls, mountain biked, visited a local artist's ecological installation and more), but the manager Paul was originally from my hometown in Hertfordshire and went above and beyond the call of duty to make us feel welcome. He provided delicious food, some of the best we ate in South Africa, and kept me a Castle Stout out of the fridge to warm to British room-temperature! We had enquired about local foodstuffs to take home and lo and behold the next morning Paul had baked us a fresh koeksister cake to take back to Blighty, a wonderful surprise! Our accommodation was pure rustic charm with lavender on the pillows and a free snifter of sherry to warm the cockles! Recommend the early-morning view across the valley followed by coffee and home-made cake! Thanks to all at The Edge!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kristian h
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

I was hugely impressed with the hospitality and the accommodation at The Edge and would not hesitate to recommend it to friends and family travelling to Hogsback.

The room I stayed in (Kudu Shack) was tasteful decorated and thoughtfully kitted out for self catering. However, I didn't cook much as the food in the restaurant was superb. Much better than anything else I experienced during my SA trip. The views around the area are also simply stunning.

The staff were absolutely wonderful. It was a treat to be invited to the fortnightly cinema evening and a surprise and delight when they remembered my birthday.

I only wish I could have stayed longer (and had the chance to walk the Hog!)

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo