“An educational tipple”

and up
Bombay Sapphire Distillery Tour and Tasting
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Based at Laverstoke Mill in Hampshire, 15 miles from Winchester and 60 miles from London, the Bombay Sapphire Distillery showcases the care, skill and artistry behind every drop of Bombay Sapphire, and allows you to discover the flavours of the botanicals which make our gin so unique. For over 225 years, the Victorian and Georgian buildings set astride the crystal clear River Test produced bank note paper for the Bank of England and the British Empire. Now, Laverstoke Mill is a state-of-the-art sustainable distillery which produces every single drop of Bombay Sapphire gin. Please book in advance on our website. The closest train stations to the distillery are Overton or Whitchurch which are serviced by trains originating from London Waterloo and Salisbury. There is a shuttle bus service running from Overton and Micheldever train stations, the timetables are on our website. The 76 bus from Basingstoke or Andover stops outside the distillery – check the Stagecoach Bus website.
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 8, 2014

A great combination of stunning buildings and exhibits makes this a great trip (so to speak !) even for a non gin drinker like me. The "smelling" room where you get to sniff all the combinations of ingredients that go into making the gin is an educational treat. You will come away with knowledge of how it is made and wonder how much the place cost to convert. I asked but they wouldn't tell, but my guess is many many millions ?

Some reasonably priced "gifts" in the shop that you always seem to end up in these places. I saw that an Amazon "shop" was selling some of the glasses well above what you pay here. A great trip which will be even better when we return in the summer as we visited at 16:30 in late November which is probably not the best time to view the buildings and grounds. Enjoy your trip. Hic, Hic

Write a ReviewReviews (2,491)
All reviews
in 23 reviews
"dry room"
in 90 reviews

Reviewed December 6, 2014

We really liked how laid back and friendly staff were. Whatever you wanted to do, walk here, drink there, whichever route it was fine. They're all very helpful, knowledgeable and passionate - special thanks to 'Louise' for her knowledge of the botanicals grown in the two glasshouses. The location is a little distant to say the least, so if you can get a lift then that would be ideal. We took the public bus from Basingstoke and got lucky with not having to wait around but they run at most every 30minutes. The tour is not too long and very informative and the 'smelling room' is good fun. We also did a Gin Workshop which was really good fun and we managed to learn something! I would suggest that some material is installed in the hall though as acoustically the echo is bad so it can be hard to hear the guide speak. The bar is fine but the snacks sold in the shop should be sold here too, it seems awkward to seperate them.
We came in the Winter but it would be great in the Summer too.
Don't annoy other other guests by bringing kids along. Leave the kids at home.

1  Thank jgp1991
Reviewed December 5, 2014

My friend and I visited the distillery today and it was a fantastic experience. Our gin masterclass was interesting and entertaining, the site itself is beautiful. The mixture of old buildings and the Willy Wonka-esque glass houses is lovely - it was also nice to visit somewhere that I could access everywhere I wanted to in the wheelchair provided for me. The staff have obviously been well schooled in both the history of gin and Bombay Sapphire itself, and were happy to chat and answer our questions. As for our drink in the bar at the end, I am still fascinated to know how a cocktail made from gin, pink grapefruit juice and vanilla seed syrup can end up tasting wonderfully of chocolate?! Thanks to all the staff from our gin class to the gift shop who made it a thoroughly enjoyable way to spend a damp December day.

1  Thank Sarah B
Reviewed December 5, 2014

We are staying with friends and they took us to this attraction, which has recently arrived in Hampshire. Until now I thought gin was gin. I learned a lot about its origins, its history, it's manufacture and the uniqueness of each brand. We were able to sniff the various 'botanicals' and note our preferences, later at the bar a cocktail was tailored to our preferences. The staff were brilliant, our guides and the bar staff were knowledgeable and very enthusiastic about their plant and product and made our visit an enjoyable experience. I'm looking forward to trying out my bottle of Bombay Sapphire on some cocktails!

See more reviews
Reviewed December 3, 2014

We were a large group visiting the distillery and I think we all enjoyed ourselves. It is great that this old papermill has been saved from falling into further disrepair and that it has found a new life making millions of litres of gin a year for export around the world. The history and heritage of both the site and Bombay Gin is fascinating but the highlights for me were the Greenhouse, the Botanical Room, where you could smell the ingredients, the distillery and the cocktail at the end of the visit. I understand there are plans to open a restaurant on site and this would be a lovely location for a meal on a sunny summer's evening. We visited on a damp November afternoon, but this did not detract from our enjoyment.

1  Thank robertspet8