St Francis Resort
Club Peace & Plenty(George Town)(Great Value!)
$189
$225
$152
Priceline
  • Pool
Island Time Villas(George Town)(Great Value!)
$133
Priceline
$519
$503
Cape Santa Maria Beach Resort & Villas(Long Island)
$255
  • Beachfront
$205
$159
  • Pool
  • Breakfast included
Exuma Palms Hotel(Great Exuma)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewschat n chillgeorge townatlantic sidesand dollar beachevery morninglobsterwater taxionly accessible by boatswimming pigslaid backgreat hostsfeed the stingraysshort kayaksmall islandsnorkel gearbeautiful bahamasfeel like family
Reviewed June 22, 2014

I stayed here with my six year old son and wife for a week in February. The location is gorgeous located on an island with only a few people on it. The owners were very gracious and accommodated us when our flights got cancelled due to a winter storm. The views out of the room were fantastic with the ocean visible from the front and back of the simple, yet clean and functional room. The staff were very friendly and made sure we were generally comfortable at every turn. Check in was non-existent; we were simply handed a key on arrival and shown to our room. We were then invited to the bar to have a drink and hear about what was in the area. Very relaxing. The problem came where food was involved. The hotel bar was the ONLY place to get food on the island and you generally had to order hours in advance because the food had to be procured on the main island (Great Exuma). In addition, the few other options were on the main island in George Town and getting there was not as simple as hailing a cab. Once on the island, you are pretty much stuck there unless you can arrange transport with the hotel boat. I sort of knew that I would be out there in the middle of the ocean and it was great, but the lack of flexibility to get dinner or lunch somewhere else was less than appealing to me. It really sucked the life out of my stay. I did end up renting a small boat from a shop in town and that really improved things. I went to some remote beaches where it was just the three of us. I also went to a few restaurants for lunch that were seemingly in the middle of nowhere and had great food. I also went in to town to go shopping and see how the small town was laid out. The boats did not have lights so running at night was prohibited. The hotel was very nice, safe, clean, and friendly and the views were great. Being out there on the island was awesome. However, the difficulty with transportation really made me wish I had stayed in town. I would recommend this place for someone who really wants to get away from it all, but not for someone that likes to poke around the local area on their own schedule. Get a boat from Minns and that will improve things significantly. Beware if you visit during the week where the boaters are there. They tend to take over everything and the hotel guests suffer for it.

Room Tip: All the rooms are awesome.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
7  Thank Stefano M
Reviewed June 18, 2014

My husband and I vacationed at St.Francis purely by accident. The sailboat we chartered in the Bahamas didn't work out due to technical difficulties, and we made a last minute reservation at St. Francis Resort. Stocking Island is amazing quiet with few inhabitants. There are no cars, plenty of walking and views from the rooms were spectacular from the private balconies. We have traveled to many other islands including Puerto Rico, other islands in the Bahamas, St. Martin, US Virgin. Islands, but the St. Francis Resort is our favorite off the grid spot. You can rent a motor boat, snorkel, scuba, fish, or relax with the sailors at the restaurant and bar in the evening. George, Jill and their son Greg are delightful hosts. We were enchanted by the cab driver - Rudy - cab #9 who brought our room key back to Jill after I got to the airport and realized it was still in my pocket. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Retrorebe
Reviewed June 16, 2014

My husband, sister and I spent a week here enjoying the the natural beauty of Exuma and Stocking island. If you want to have a quiet vacation to enjoy nature and unplug, then this is the perfect resort for you! The staff of the resort are incredibly nice and helpful and they all want to make sure that you are enjoying your time there. The owners, Jill and George, are fabulous as well! We felt like they were family by the end of the week and I sincerely miss Jill and her sweet smile and hugs. Her breakfast tray in the morning was always a treat. Jill makes a delicious breakfast! I have a shellfish allergy but they took great pains to make sure that my food did not cause me any problems. I know that this is difficult for some kitchens but they were very accommodating. The food in their restaurant was delicious throughout the week and I certainly enjoyed those gin and tonics! George grilled on his BBQ an excellent dinner of either lobster, steak or chicken one night that was yummy. Dinner in their restaurant is before seven but it was not a problem for us and if you want to hang out at the bar it is open late and there is a tv there plus other guests might be around. To us though, sitting on our porch staring at the ocean and taking in a distant lightning show, reading or playing cards was relaxing enough. The amazing gorgeous water is on both sides of the resort and the white sand beach is deserted most of the time so that is nice. The ocean was never too rough so swimming in it was easy. Renting a boat for the week is a must if you enjoy snorkeling and exploring the many beaches dotting the water between the islands. The boat rental company will give you a map to show where the best reefs are to snorkel and there is an amazing cave and blue hole near the resort that is fun to snorkel at. Wherever I travel in the world I am always the happiest when the people I meet make me feel welcome and are happy and kind. The people at the St. Frances and the people we met everywhere on Exuma made me happy! We enjoyed our time there and agree with other guests that the St. Frances is a very special place!

Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank gaterp
Reviewed May 15, 2014

We vacationed at the St. Francis Resort May 6th-13th, 2014. There truly are not words to describe what a wonderful time we had. George and Jill are the most amazing and gracious hosts. The grounds at St. Francis are immaculate and full of gorgeous views! The rooms are very comfortable, and the back terrace opens out to the most breathtaking sight of the ocean. Each meal that Chef keva prepared was superb and delicious with a touch of Bahamian flare. Thanks to Sandy and Kista for great service and endless laughs.
There are numerous activities for the energetic vacationer. Hiking Stocking Island was an adventure. The island is inhabited by an array of birds, non-venomous snakes, lizards, and frogs. Likewise, there is kayaking, sailing and snorkeling. We rented a boat from Minns Water Sports in George Town and had a blast!!! There are so many secluded and magnificent beaches to explore. We saw all types of fish, starfish and stingrays. We will definitely return to St. Francis Resort in the future. It truly is a very unforgettable place.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
6  Thank funtimes5072
Reviewed April 30, 2014

Just got back Saturday. Was almost reluctant to write this review as a I felt like someone who found a great restaurant but wants to keep it a secret so it does not get too crowded!! But George and Jillian are such wonderful people that we could not do right by them by not telling everyone what a wonderful time we had. The entire staff was great, the grounds beautiful, the food delicious, the room clean and we so enjoyed the peacefulness and tranquility. Yes, there is no TV in the room and internet is limited (probably only good for checking e-mail) but that is exactly what we wanted-to totally disconnect from the world. Although there were other guests, we rarely saw them except at dinner. Such a long beach on the ocean side with so many places to explore on both sides of the island kept everyone busy.

We have been to many islands and this is the first one that we truly are committed to returning to. Thanks George and Jillian and to all of your staff for the greatest of times!!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple