“Excellent food, customer service and very comfortable”
Review of Birch Cottage

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Garve
Birch Cottage
Ranked #4 of 4 Garve B&B and Inns
Reviewed March 17, 2014

Pros:
Excellent location (5 miles from Contin where I was working)
Fantastic breakfast and evening meal
Excellent value for money
Brilliant customer service
Very friendly owners
Comfortable and tidy room
Vestibule upon entrance to my room (so useful for hill walkers, cyclists, people working with PPE)
Can control heating in room

Cons:
Room 3 is next to the road, may disturb light sleepers.
Room 3 decor was dated
No wifi (however, Didn't ask for access to their personal wireless)
Couldn't get any radio signal in my room

I stayed for 5 nights whilst attending a chainsaw training course in Contin and would highly recommend staying at Birch Cottage. I chose this BnB due to the availability of dinner and I was only expecting to get whatever Ray and Linda were cooking, I wasn't expecting such high class food at a great price.

Dinner was priced at 9, 12 and 16 pounds based on 1, 2 or 3 course meal which is easily cheaper than other options within 15 miles. The food was outstanding, immaculately presented and plentiful. Ray even offered to change the menu for me as I was staying 5 nights, so I was treated to easily the best liver, kidney, bacon and sausage casserole I've had. As a testament to the service provided, I was given a side plate of green veg after Linda realised I didn't like calliflower or carrots which were originally provided - much appreciated!

Breakfast was also very good, I was treated to several options for brekkie including fry up, porridge, omelettes alongside a selection of cereals and fresh fruit.

I was given annex room 3 to sleep in which in hindsight made me wonder why as It was next to the road despite there only being one other guest during my stay. This is one of the areas I could only assign fault, noise from the road was bothersome (not enough however for me to request a room change and I only mention this for really light sleepers out there). Traffic is very light, you are off the main road on the West coast, so it is the odd car and lorry that passes by, there is no constant stream of traffic however vehicles evidently don't follow the 40mph speed limit, so I was awoken 3 times in the early hours by a lorry passing.

In regards to the room, It was very comfortable. I had all the amenities I required; bed which was comfy with plenty of blankets, cupboards/drawers for storage, en-suite bathroom and shower and control over the rooms heating. There even was a small vestibule which was incredibly useful for me for hanging up my wet chainsaw gear and storing equipment. The room's decor and ammenties were somewhat dated but didn't look worn, as an example the TV is old school being a big box of a thing however there was a satellite receiver below so I was (with a bit of tinkering) able to get the usual British freeview channels.

Service was excellent, it was fantastic to get banter in the morning and evening with Ray and Linda. They were really observant of any issues, noticing one night I didn't arrive in my usual shorts for dinner, so offered to put the heating up. Other examples include, providing me with a pint glass for my room and table and lots of water as I don't drink tea or coffee.

Ray and Linda went above the norm, even providing me with sandwiches to take to work which saved me money and meant I had a more enjoyable lunch!

Room Tip: Check if you are in the main house or the annex, one of the annexes is next to the road (room 3) and...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Reviewed October 9, 2013

Myself and friend have been to stay with Ray and Linda on countless occasions over the past few years. Every stay is the same, fantastic food, great company and a comfortable nights sleep.

Each meal is served to a 5 star standard, and all hand crafted. If you are a vegetarian you can expect something particularly exciting and unexpected.

I would recommend Birch Cottage to anyone, one of Scotlands hidden gems.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank IanLorneMacDougall
Reviewed September 23, 2013

Had an overall fantastic stay. Accomodation immaculate. Food amazing. Atmophere wonderful. Linda and Ray welcome you into their home and nothing is too much trouble. The location is fantastic with access to so many places within hour drive either north or south from dolphins to waterfalls. Good location for keen walkers or even if you just want to admire the scenery from the car. Surprisingly the weather was fantastic too for Scotland. Highly recommend. Un rivalled value for money.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Lucy S
Reviewed September 23, 2013

On arriving , I had a very friendly trip, the accommodation was excellent through out ,They treated me like a king. The food was fantastic dinner and breakfast was first class. The room was very comfy and spotless. They were very kind and provided me with a pack lunch Thankyou. I am glad the hotel up the road was closed. This was fantastic. The best. Paul Jennings.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Pilgrim M
Reviewed October 16, 2011

Stayed for 2 nights in adjoining chalet-type room just off busy road. Room a bit dated and small but facilities adequate. Had 1 evening meal - nice but not as good as they had made out it would be. Great breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 11, 2011

We stopped off to stay here en route to the Orkney islands and thoroughly recommend this lovely cottage and its friendly and kind owners. The accommodation is lovely: our rooms were next to the road, but we were not disturbed by traffic AT ALL and this was the height of the holiday season. Very comfortable accommodation, delightfully comfortable bed and spotlessly clean all round, including our ensuite bathroom. Also there were lovely gardens and a nice little village nearby. However, BEST OF ALL IS THE FANTASTIC FOOD! Both the evening meal and breakfasts were superb standard, better than any restaurant we have visited for a very, very long time; the owner was a chef for many years at top hotels and this experience is obvious from the wonderful cooking. We also met a German family staying overnight too and they told us it was the best accommodation they had found anywhere. BRILLIANT VALUE FOR MONEY AND WE THOROUGHLY RECOMMEND!!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Pat I
Reviewed August 2, 2011

We arrived really late (later than we had said!), yet had a friendly reception and no complaints. Slept like a log. The breakfast was really tasty and the ingredients were high quality. Best poached eggs I have eaten. Also very good value for money.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple