“Fab week snow cruising”
Review of Aqua Narrowboats

Aqua Narrowboats
More attraction details
Owner description: Aqua Narrowboats is a family company specialising in Private Bespoke Boat Building and luxury canal boat hire & holidays established in 2004. As of 2018 our hire boats are based at Barton Turns Marina, on the Trent and Mersey Canal in Staffordshire. This site is unstaffed except on Turnaround days, therefore please contact our Head Office at Mercia Marina in Derbyshire (we do not have any hire boats at Mercia Marina). From our hire base at Barton Turns there is a range of canal networks for you to enjoy your narrowboat holiday including the Four Counties Ring, the Staffordshire Ring, the Leicester Ring, plus many there and back routes. We are just a 3.5 hour trip to Fradley Junction and a 10 hour cruise to Great Haywood Junction, these main canal junctions mean that lots of route options are within easy reach. All our boats are rated at 5 stars by Visit Britain. The canal boats are replaced every 4 to 5 years for the best possible customer experience.
Reviewed April 9, 2013

I just cannot find fault with this holiday. I have hired Aqua Bwywd twice now. Last year we had unseasonable sunshine, this year we had snow.;
The Boat:
Luxurious, the best I have ever hired. Very very warm, well equipped, great facilities for cooking with oven, hob and microwave (Cooked a full roast dinner on board). TV/DVD player in the saloon area and the back bedroom. Comfortable bed and great bathroom.
The handover is extensive and all the staff at Aqua are a pleasure to talk to and very knowledgeable. We arrived early this year as there were snow warnings and yep no problem, the boat was ready so after our 'lesson' were able to take it out. The boat handles really well.
The Trent and Mersey has many routes and places to stop, this year due to bad weather we only went as far as Alrewas but spent a day at the National Memorial Arboretum. Great Italian pub/restaurant at Branston. Highly recommend the Chinese takeaway in Alrewas. Great for families, friends, kids can help out at locks as all life jackets are supplied. There is a fuel contribution, but priced up against other hire companies and for the quality of the boat you are definitely getting excellent value for money. Booking again for next year as I have boated in all weathers and love it. Well done Aqua for a great canal boat hire business

All reviews
"hire company"
"a great week"
"first timers"
in 2 reviews
"the national memorial arboretum"
"mercia marina"
in 6 reviews
"companies"
in 3 reviews

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was presented with a birthday present of a voucher for a half-day narrow boat 'experience' and was not particularly looking forward to it (my last canal boat trip was when my children were small and I spent the time being over anxious in case they fell into the water). So I arrived on a freezing snowy day with not a lot of enthusiasm. When I realised I was the only customer I did suggest cancelling, however Lyndon, the 'tutor' for the afternoon, was friendly and encouraging and the wonderful cake and coffee on board helped. Beautifully fitted out boat: from the granite work surfaces to the functional bathroom, and Lyndon explained how the boats were built and fitted out: he later showed me one half way through the fitting.
I could not have had a better teacher for the trip. Lyndon very relaxed yet, obviously, ready to take over whenever I forgot whetheway to push the tiller and I felt I would be able to manage and enjoy a canal holiday.
Generally a very pleasant few hours and made me rethink my attitude to such a holiday.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Spent a lovely afternoon being instructed on the dos and donts for canal boat handling by friendly experienced staff. This is an excellent taster session to see if this style of holiday would suit you. The boat was of an excellent standard and the tuition was friendly, fun and comprehensive. There are excellent facilities at the marina so allow longer than the 3 hour experience time.

3  Thank Judith530088
Reviewed February 11, 2013

We did 3 weeks on one of Aqua's narrowboats (Aqua Bywyd) and loved it. We've rented before and been on the canals a few times and this boat, and their others which we saw along the way, was a step above all the other rental boats we've seen on the canals in quality.

The boats are extremely well appointed, having private owners, and much more luxurious than regular rental boats.

Justin is a delight to deal with, friendly and helpful.

The boats are more expensive than your regular rental boat, but then you get much more. If we were going again, (and we'd love to) then we'd go back to Aqua first.