“Dissapointed”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Having been several times before, we were used to the restaurant being small but the food and the prices and atmosphere always made up for it. Sadly the new owners have greatly reduced the portion sizes, reduced the quality, killed the atmosphere and added insult to injury by putting up the prices to boot!!! If it wasn't broke, don't fix it, please go back to how it was, it used to be great. I could have coped with the price increase if the food had stayed the same.

2  Thank BonnieChloe

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Like many others my wife & I have visited Bruno’s on several occasions, rarely disappointed in the quality of the food, service & friendliness. Bruno would always be there, trying his very best to accommodate, while Beverly was the heart of the restaurant being very friendly & most welcoming, nothing was a problem.
Sadly, Bruno & Beverley have had to sell up due to Bruno’s health. So we hear, we wish them well.
Yes, the Bistro has changed; the Italians who are running Bruno’s, in time, I’m sure will put their own stamp on this cosy, intimate restaurant.
Let’s not forget, it took a while for Bruno & Beverley to get it right. We arrived on more than one occasion, when there was no table for us, although we had indeed booked. We also have been across the road for a drink, only to come back to the Bistro, to see our table been given to someone else.
So I feel let’s give the new guys that are running Bruno’s time.
My wife & I visited Bruno’s Tuesday 05th November 2013. The portions are really adequate not huge, but are more than enough to ensure that when you leave you feel as though you have had a good meal.
My wife & I certainly didn't encounter any of the problems recent reviewers have commented on. E.g. there was definitely Anti Pasti on the menu, plenty of grindy black pepper, olive oil & plenty of parmesan were offered, without asking.
We certainly were well looked after & had a pleasant evening. We will be back.

1  Thank Local C
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We thought it looked promising when we entered this cosy, intimate restaurant but it soon became apparent that the service was lacking.

We chose from the menu, which is reasonably priced, our starters were offered some time later and were not as described which we overlooked as the taste was ok although it was an extremely simple dish compared to that on the menu.

Again a long wait for our main meal, the only waiter on duty (the owner) said there is a new chef as he passed our table, no apology was given.

The tagiatelle dish arrived on a very small dish and the pork medallion stuffed with cheese and ham in sauce came as a grilled pork escalope with a square of plastic ham and some grated cheese on top accompanied but what I can only describe as cold leftover veg.

No anti pasti on menu, no grindy pepper, olive oil and no ofer of parmesan ... All usual in an Italian restaurant.

The table of 4 nearby complained to the owner that their food was cold and wanted money off their bill, he seemed to do a hasty retreat to the kitchen where he then started shouting at his staff.

We asked for our bill and left asap as we felt the owner was stressed enough. Hope he can get his act together soon.

1  Thank jnofrills
Reviewed October 17, 2013

This is a tiny, intimate & cozy little bistro, a little off the beaten track in an area not renowned for being "upmarket"! Yet it is 15 mins from Durham City & the parking is easy & free. The unassuming frontage opens into a cozy, friendly room & the night we were there, 3 members of staff, 1 chef, 1 waiter & the owner, managed to welcome & provide good, very reasonably priced food for 29 covers...not bad going at all! The food was freshly prepared, none of this re-heated, pre-cooked rubbish served up in so many places these days! The portions are not huge, neither would I expect them to be at the price they charge, but are more than enough to ensure leaving feeling as though you have had a good meal. I certainly didn't encounter any of the problems recent reviewers have commented on....I will be back, & have, in fact, booked for Monday night to take my elderly parents-in-law

1  Thank Linda C
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Unfortunately I was in the resteraunt on 12th October and witnessed the extremely poor service, food not up to normal standards and regulars being turned away due to the lack of tables despite previously booked. In fairness the one waiter that was on duty (as the second one had not turned into work) did try his very best best but I feel the harder he tried the worse it got. I am probably one of many many local residents who frequented Bruno's on a regular basis but now feel we must try and find a new "Italian" gem further afield. I understand that Bruno's health was not good hence the sale and wish him and Beverley a healthy retirement but we too will not be back until normal service is resumed.

3  Thank stevemusgrove81