“Wanted to love it, but could only like it.”
Review of Bruno's Bistro - CLOSED

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Crook, United Kingdom
“Wanted to love it, but could only like it.”
Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We've only been once here although we would consider visiting again at some stage.

Briefly: good points were that the food was very nice, if a little pricey for the standard, location and VERY cramped atmosphere.

Bad points: far too small and cramped. We were put on a table for two near the toilets in a location that's really too small and not a particularly ice place to situate a table where you expect people to enjoy their food.

Overall. Reasonable little bistro, good food but cramped and slightly expensive.

• Visited June 2012
1 Thank Alan M

Durham
“Mixed feelings...”
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Heard good reviews so decided to give it a try for a birthday meal. First impression - tiny restaurant, packed with early evening diners taking advantage of the cheap specials which are served from 6 - 6.30. We arrived just after so paid full price. Tables packed close together so no good if you're looking for a romantic meal but fine if you want a quick, cheap early evening meal.

I ordered strips of sirloin with mushrooms and white wine sauce which came with either chips or salad, my husband ordered meatballs, sirloin strips with pasta. His arrived first and it was very nice as expected, mine followed but was not as I'd ordered - I was served chicken with mushrooms. As the chap was very surly and not at all welcoming we decided not to complain - I didn't want to make a fuss, especially as all the other diners were seated SO close. The chicken seemed to be a little pink in the middle which worried me so I only ate the outside and left the middle (the restaurant is quite dark inside which made it difficult to see exactly whether it was pink or just appeared to be). The salad bowl was basic and didn't really work with the chicken dish, and the whole thing tasted a little odd.

As I was so disappointed with the meal we didn't bother with dessert or coffee.

The female working in the restaurant was different again - very pleasant and welcoming, it's a shame the gentleman was quite the opposite

My husband would return to try the early offer, I would not.

• Visited May 2013
1 Thank WishfulThinkerDurham
Durham, United Kingdom
“Great food - great service - just a little cramped”
Reviewed May 16, 2013

We have eaten here on a couple of occasions. It offers lovely fresh food catering for all tastes. The food is absolutely fresh, the service attentive and personal. My only gripe is that the tables are very close together. I suppose that is a sign of the popularity, however depending on the reason for dining there you might be put off the close proximity of your neighbour.
Other than that a lovely place to eat, and we look forward to it every time.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank olibot
Spennymoor, United Kingdom
“Fantastic”
Reviewed April 29, 2013 via mobile

We often dine here and the food and service is always fantastic and at really great value even after the tea time special. We would advise anyone thinking of going to book as it is only a small place but this is why we love it as its nice and intimate. Everything is freshly prepared and cooked to order, it is also worth mentioning that it is a small business and that if you do have to wait for your meal or service it is not because Beverly and her staff are ignoring you or stood around doing nothing it's because they are busy and will be with you as soon as possible and it will be worth the wait! It is a small place with a handful of staff who work hard at keeping this little Italian restaurant fabulous!!

Visited April 2013
1 Thank krml1
Durham, United Kingdom
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed April 23, 2013

The restaurant is only tiny, so I would recommend that you always book. You would drive past and not think much of it, but you really should give it a try.
The food here is lovely, you can really taste the fresh ingredients, have been a few times and enjoyed every time. Service is great, we will be back many times to come.

• Visited April 2013