Grenadian by Rex Resorts
Hotwire.com
$941
$916
Hotels.com
Siesta Hotel(Grand Anse)(Great Value!)
$73
$66
$438
$424
Hotwire.com
2,033 results
All reviewsbeach frontfishbeachfront roomsoupspool barrex resortsbeach vendorsisland tourst georgeshotel groundsmain restaurantair canadaa la carte restaurantbeautiful islandexecutive chefaquarium restaurantthree star
999 - 1,004 of 2,033 reviews
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We had stayed at the Rex in Antiqua last year,enjoyed it and thought we would try the Rex in Grenada. You could not find more happy and friendly people , including staff, the staff always had a big smile and always very polite,friendly and helpful.
Yes, the resort is older and looking a little tired, we had a beach house and loved it, we were litteraly 30 ft off the beach. The beach was great, lots of natural shade along the beach (palm trees,etc.) The food was good (not great)choices were limited,but my wife and I could not complain, we enjoyed our meals at the buffet every morning and evening, we normally had lunch near the pool, basic burgers,sandwiches and fries and salads ,room for improvement.
the grounds were kept in good condition, we had a good size room,and had no issues and yes we had a in room safe.
I would strongly suggest going to the Aquarium Restaraunt down the beach, a short walk, and I would also suggest The Beachhouse for dinner one evening. The lobster Grenadian style is oh so good. Tom is the guy you want for touring the island, but he does get caught up in things and will appoint another driver, we had Stuart, he was good.All in all it was a wonderful relaxing stay on a beautiful island with wonderful people.We have been travelling extensivley for the past 14 years and have learned not to pay to much attention to these people who will whine and complain about anything and everything,your in a foreign country or Island blend in with the local culture and enjoy your Holiday. Take care till next time.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank 115idol
Reviewed March 20, 2013

If I had to rate the trip to Grenada, that I took with my daughter just a short week ago, I would give it a five-star! What a spectacular island, what lovely people.
This, however, is meant to be a review of the property, and I will share my experience with this in mind. We lucked in by choosing the beachfront room - absolutely worth it! Falling asleep and waking up to the sound of the waves and the beautiful view really added to our appreciation of this resort. The room was modest and the bathroom - quite shabby, but it was clean and looked after. We did have an in-room safe (which we did not use) and quite decent WiFi connection. My daughter and I stayed on the top floor of the F section and did not mind the stairs.

The food was not plentiful and we primarily relied on Cinnamon restaurant (I found the beach bar lunches greasy, the burgers appalling!), but it was quite nice. We really appreciated the soups, and the main courses. The vegetable and fruit selection was exceptionally poor, which was disappointing. Why would the fruit be cut up in "fruit salads" and/or presented in cellophane-covered slices? So unappetizing! So much beautiful fruit on this island, which we tasted courtesy of our beach friend Elon, why can't it just be washed and presented for people to enjoy? Is it too expensive? Did not have time for a single afternoon tea, too busy enjoying the beach.
Speaking of the beach, we loved it! It is spacious, not bustling with people and the sea is nothing short of perfection. Yes, it was quite rough for the first two days of our stay, but we enjoyed it so much. We are not pool people, no interest in that at all, therefore, no comments on that area of the resort. Yes, the beach vendors are quite persistent, but it is like that in every resort anywhere. It is up to us to develop our style of communicating with them. My daughter and I absolutely loved our new friend Elon, who was so friendly, such a great masseur (yes, quite a few local people will offer you aloe vera massages, take them!), and a fun guide throughout town. Dexter is also very pleasant and friendly. The hotel staff are eager to please, courteous, and sweet.
The Air Transat rep, Dede, is lovely.
We took a few excursions and loved them - The Seafari (amazing), the hike to Seven Sisters Falls (strenuous, but so worth it), the Fish Friday (go, it's such an authentic island experience) and the lovely Saturday market (ask Elon to guide you).
Despite a few shortfalls, we would love to come back to Grenada!

Room Tip: Beachfront all the way!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank Monika R
Reviewed March 19, 2013

We have just returned from a one week trip to this resort with two other couples. Absolutely everyone we met on this island, from resort staff to local folks are super friendly. We had perfect weather - beautiful sunshine everyday - quite humid. If you are looking for a quiet place, the Rex is very quiet. This resort is very small and I would not suggest bringing the kids here - there's really nothing for them to do. They have one swimming pool and the seats are generally taken early. There are two beach areas. One has the watersports next to it. I suggest going to the beach on the other side (next to the market area). This location has a nearby washroom and bar. Much more space and more chairs available. There are two different types of accommodation here. Hillside and Beachside - Take the beachside - the hillside accom will have you climbing more stairs than you wish. You will be plagued by vendors on the beach until you purchase a little something. Even then they will try again on another day. Most of them are friendly enough, there is one guy that definately has a chip on his shoulder - you'll meet him. They are all selling the same thing and you can find their items cheaper in town. We bought a spice necklace for $10. In town the same thing is 3 for 10. hmm. oh well.

Tours - we took a tour of the island with 'Tom'. Tom let us down by not accompanying us as he had indicated he would. Instead he had his driver Phillip drive us around the island - for 12 hours! We were beat. You drive around in a red van with no air conditioning, you can't hear at the back. We went to the place where you can feed the wild monkeys, there were two. We never made it to the nutmeg factory because it closed at 4pm and our tour guide had taken too long. When we were nearly back to the resort, Phillip stopped at the side of the road where we met with Tom, who wanted his money. This was tacky to say the least and a little bit creepy - its now dark out. Anyway, we met with Tom the next day and told him of all of our concerns. He is to be commended for coming to us and 'facing the music' head on. He took our concerns and suggestions and advised he had ordered a microphone system for the vehicle. We saw many other tour vans going around - obviously with a/c. A guy named Dexter will also approach you at the resort - he is not allowed on resort property, so he won't come across the sidewalk from the beach. He will try to convince you to tour with him. We didn't and don't regret that.

Food - there is food. Yup, thats it. You won't starve, but you won't be too impressed. Of all the resorts we have ever been too, this place has the poorest, smallest selection we have ever seen. Make sure you get there early because when its gone, its gone. We did walk down the beach to a restaurant called 'The Aquarium'. It was amazing! We ate in the gazebo and had steak, lobster, chicken among the six of us. Everyone was very satisfied with the meal. Don't go there at the start of your stay or the food at the resort will seem that much worse (just a suggestion).

Rooms - there are no room safes in most of the Beachside rooms. Kingsize bed was good. Bathroom is pretty beat up. The white enamel in the tub was all peeling off - no kidding. And the surrounding tile in the shower had black mold growing out of the grout - oh god.

Will we return to Grenada? No. Felt pretty safe there, but this is allegedly the best resort there and I can't see myself paying good money to go there again. The first time we have been away and been ready to get home after five days into the trip. Pretty disappointed.

Room Tip: Choose Beachside accommodation - you get a patio area. Hillside is quite steep.
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank MissElleeBoo
Reviewed March 16, 2013

Just returned from the Rex after 2 weeks of continuous sunshine. We were greeted with their usual friendly welcome.Many of the staff went out of their way to thank us for returning. The hotel was fairly full with a medical convention the first week and much to my husband's delight, the Jamaican and Windward Isles cricket teams and umpires for the second week. The rest of the rooms were taken up by Canadians who were a credit to their nation. The service is still 5 star. The room was the perfect location overlooking the beach. The food is good and well varied.I particularly like the local dishes. Although mealtimes are generally busy there is plenty of food being topped up on the buffet all the time. I must mention the staff in the restaurant who are very busy but never faulter and always have a genuine smile and a kind word. There are so many lovely staff to mention from the gardeners to the security staff etc., but of course Gerard and Leslie are my favourites. Both made our stay special, Thank you so much.

Room Tip: All rooms have a sea view but the beach front ones are spectacular
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Skevsue
Reviewed March 15, 2013

I must say that what other reviewers mentioned about location of this resort and beauty of the beach is absolutely true – it’s stunning.
Grenada is a beautiful island and people are very nice indeed, but this is resort review and resort in my opinion is a complete miss.
I normally wouldn’t even bother to comment on wear and tear, but in the case of this resort rooms are deteriorated to such extend, it’s hard not to mention.
Bedding is simply horrible. Not only it’s very cheap, orphanage style, it’s also very old and extremely uncomfortable.
Our room had the loudest AC I’ve ever seen in my life, but certainly not the most efficient one.
It vents directly into the beach front balcony, so one must turn it off in order to seat outdoors.
There is no room safe. It’s provided at the reception and each time you want to use it, you have to queue at the front desk (normally only one attendant on duty trying to check in and out guests, talk on a phone, answer questions and handle safety boxes).
Another area for queuing is a buffet restaurant.
There is a dress code and quality of food is acceptable.
The problem is it’s distributed in small quantities for the amount of people wishing to eat .
If your idea of the romantic dinner is to stay in line to obtain piece of turkey or portion of spaghetti for 15-20 minutes in full evening attire and then another 10-15 minutes to get salad – this place is for you.
Ordered glass of wine usually arrives when the meal is over.
We ended up eating out or paying extra for a la carte Oriental restaurant which is very nice actually.
Stuff is friendly, but in most cases not very helpful.
Be prepared to handle luggage yourself and answer question “ how is your vacation going so far” every 15 minutes.
Another problem is the most annoying beach vendors I’ve ever met on any Caribbean Island.
As other reviewers mentioned they will go away after polite “no thanks”, but shortly after they will come back with the same offer, so if you want to relax on sun bed (mostly broken) with the good book – just forget about it. One should keep saying “no thanks” repeatedly every 5 or 10 minutes (depends on the time of the day).
In spite of all this Grenada is amazing place to visit and to explore.
I know this hotel seems like a good deal, especially compare with other hotels prices, but it is definitely not.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple