“Nice room and close to airport” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport

Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rumlang
GREENEVILLE, TENNESSEE
“Nice room and close to airport”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014

Very nice room, clean comfortable and well equipped. The staff was great and helpful. They have an airport shuttle that is dependable. Large lobby with happy hour half price drinks from 4-6. Restaurant serves a good breakfast although there are no warm items offered. Good experience!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank CATHYRT
Merle N, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, January 23, 2014
Dear Cathyrt,

Thank you that you stayed in the Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

We are happy that you like the happy hour time at the bar.

The shuttlebus is running every 30 minutes at the moment, we are working on it to find a good solution to run more often.

We are looking forward to welcome you again.

Deputy General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (165)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Colombo, Sri Lanka
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

The bus comes regularly though it takes time to walk to the bahnhof. Staff are friendly and helpful. Good breakfast and tea and coffee was always refilled. Parking costs a packet. Rooms are somewhat small even if you have asked for two kids and two adults but for one night it's always a good deal as they offer very competitive prices.

Dear VatsalaDittus,

Thank you for your feedback about you stay with us.

We love to offer our family rooms a little bigger, but unfortunately we only have one size of rooms.

Children up to 12 years can stay for free in the room. We offer rooms with a connecting door, so you have more space when you book two rooms with this preference. A good option when you stay longer than one night.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family again in our hotel.

Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2014

My family and I embarked on a 12-day New Year's holiday crossing country from Vienna to Vaduz in Liechtenstein then Zurich and followed by France (Paris & Alsace). While in Zurich, we stayed 2 nights in this hotel which I find very convenient and not really that far from the city center, but definitely not of walking distance! We were assigned adjoining rooms. They are nicely done and very clean, comfortable beds, bathroom was big enough, huge bay windows facing Zurich airport that gives one a nice view of planes landing and taking off. It would have been better tho' if they had mini-bar in the rooms. The lobby was spacious and modern, breakfast was delicious, the staff at the reception were courteous and there was ample parking. However, the following morning as I called the operator regarding the schedule of the free shuttle service to the city, I was told by her, and in a very harsh manner that we would have to pay for each way, per person! I was surprised because basically, the reason why I booked this hotel despite the distance from the city center (12km.) is because according to the info provided ALSO by their own hotel brochure of which I still have a copy, is that they offer free shuttle service! Therefore, I had to argue politely with that person on the phone who was remarkably arrogant and insisted that I didn't understand what was written, gosh what an insult! I speak English as well as German and in both languages of their brochures was this amenity clearly written: Shuttle Service KOSTENLOS meaning FREE OF CHARGE!!! It was not a matter of how cheap or how expensive they charge, it was a matter of principle and the kind of misleading information that they provide the guests! Even the complimentary internet is non-existent even for members of IC Hotels like me!!! Anyway, I decided to confront personally that rude operator and went to the reception but she dared not face me. Instead, a very friendly and competent German young lady receptionist listened to my argument and apologized for the impertinent attitude of her colleague who even said to me on the phone: "If you can't pay, then don't go to the city, sorry!" Anyway, the German lady immediately issued me and my family (we were 4 adults & 2 kids) a voucher during our 2-day stay. Meantime, I advised the receptionist to retrieve all the brochures distributed at every room to prevent the same incident from happening again and have them all reprinted with words saying: Shuttle service to the city is provided at minimum cost and internet is NOT complimentary!!!

1 Thank LDP-Vienna
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, January 25, 2014
Dear LDP-Vienna,

Thank you for taking the time to express your thoughts and concerns regarding your stay with us. We are pleased our location suited your travel well. We are also delighted you liked your room accommodations. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we try our hardest to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding experience at our hotel.

Please accept our sincere apology for the shortcomings you experienced and we regret you received service which was less than satisfactory from one of our Front Desk staff. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs. We have shared your input with our management team to review and take actions accordingly.

Thank you again for posting your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Joel B
Case Manager
IHGCare
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2014 via mobile

A very good and convenient location if you need to stay close to the airport. Breakfast was nice. Rooms very clean and spacious. Staff were helpful too. Am looking to book this hotel again in July as we have a long stopover in zurich.

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Merle N, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Anjana T,

thank you for your positive feedback!

We are looking forward to welcome you again soon.

Atlanta, Georgia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here one quick overnight before catching an early flight. While checking in around midnight we requested a 745am shuttle. The front desk person, who was very courteous said they depart on the half hour and after hearing our international flight was departing at 950am, told us the 8am shuttle we get us to airport with plenty of time. He then wrote our name on a paper attached to a clipboard. The next morning we came downstairs at 730 to enjoy the nice breakfast. We could see the shuttle van outside and left our luggage near the front doors after checking out. In the breakfast area next to the large TV was a clock. At 755 I walked out to load our luggage, as I walked out the door, they drove off. I ran back to the front desk and asked why he would leave early, he pointed at a different clock near the front door and said, "shuttle leaves at 8". His clock said, 8am. I pointed out the clock in the breakfast area, which is adjacent to the front desk and said that clock was 5 minutes behind. At first the two people at the front desk were not much help in resolving the issue. As a matter of fact, a little snide. I didn't relinquish my displeasure and they finally offered to get us a taxi to the airport for which the hotel paid. I do appreciate the fact that they resolved the issue in a satisfactory manner. I would however suggest that the hotel synchronize their clocks since most patrons are in the breakfast area prior to catching the shuttle. Also, why not call out the names that are missing from the sheet on the mysterious clipboard prior to the shuttle driving off? It seems they would notice they are missing a party of 3 and there must have been 10-15 people eating breakfast at the same time as us. On another note, the hotel is new, modern, clean and we would stay here again.

2 Thank Globetrekers
Dear Globetrekers,

It is always good to receive feedback from our guest.

We syncronized all watched now to avoid those situation happens again. Of course it is not helpfull and convient.

I like to thank you for the postive comments as well.

We are looking forward to welcome you and your family again as our guest, to show you our improvement.

Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

On the face of it, this hotel looks great - freshly decorated, clean, ideally located between the airport and Zurich city centre (only 12 mins away via train from the very close train station). That's the only good thing I can say about this hotel unfortunately. The hotel was easy to find (we'd driven in from Munich) and the parking accessible. There is apparently underground parking but this was not signposted so we parked in the open air hotel carpark which seemed secure. Check in was quick, though the lady who checked us in was bordering on unfriendly with not one teeny smile cracked. We booked a "family room" (basically a double room with the sofa bed set up) as my husband and I were travelling with our 2 small kids (4 and 2). We've done this many, many times at a variety of hotels across the world, all with similar set up. As soon as we entered the room we realised there was something up with the sofa bed - it seemed weirdly caved in at the top and too high at foot level. Small kids investigation revealed very quickly that it was either broken or not set up properly and the bedsheets had been used in an attempt to cover this up. Sleeping on this was no way near possible with metal bars sticking out and no way to lie prone. I therefore tried to call reception from the room - the phone didn't work. Got a bit irritated at this point. My husband went down to the desk and informed them of these issues - he was met with the (standard, I think) unfriendly staff who eventually said that the bed was broken and couldn't be fixed. They'd known this before giving us the room. Needless to say we were a bit flabbergasted and asked for a working room - you know, what we paid for. This was done quickly and the key brought to us by the only nice member of staff we encountered during our whole stay - a member of the housekeeping team. We moved. Anyone who has travelled with small kids can imagine the hassle this was. I think what we were most annoyed at was why give us a room with a broken bed in the first place? Did they really think we weren't going to notice!

Best thing about the hotel was the proximity to Zurich - it was an easy 5 minute walk to the train station where you can catch a train (every half hour) to Zurich Hautbahnhof (they gave us directions at the hotel reception - in a similarly unfriendly manner). We loved Zurich and had a lovely time. With small children we decided we'd best just have something quick to eat at the hotel for dinner - this was a mistake, the food is ridiculously overpriced even for a hotel and especially for a Holiday Inn Express. There is no service (an apparent theme of sorts in this hotel) and you have to place orders at the bar where there is one lone person. Assessing the situation in minutes, we walked next door to an Italian place called Valentino which was fabulous, heartily recommended. A family friendly, cheerful establishment with very good food at reasonable prices.

We had breakfast as it really isn't an option not to with young kids in tow. We braced ourselves and I'm glad we did - the few tables were full, we had to wait which was fine. Except that there was (again) no service so when tables were vacated, the plates were left strewn about with no hotel staff in sight. We ended up clearing the table we got ourselves in the end. The breakfast was mediocre, and that is being generous. Cold meat, bread, yogurt, juice and coffee - basic continental which is ok except that platters were always almost empty as there IS NO SERVICE in this hotel.

Staying at this hotel was horrible not because of the small inconveniences (expensive food, broken bed etc) but because the staff were uniformly (with the notable exception of the one housekeeping lady we encountered) unhelpful and unfriendly. Never again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Anitha_Harvey
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, January 22, 2014
Dear Anitha_Harvey,

We would love to regain your faith in our hotel and would welcome the opportunity to discuss your stay in further details. We have sent you a private message to obtain additional detail regarding your stay.

Karen G.
Case Manager
IHGCare

Travelers are raving about these Rumlang hotels

Montreux, Switzerland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Last Week I tried to book threw bookings a room at this hotel. After I realized i booked the wrong date and wanted to get refunded since the date was too expensive for me. I called immediately the hotel to inform about my problem and they did not refund me!!! This is unacceptable as being a student and making a mistake the poor understanding from the management.

Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
Merle N, Front Office Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, January 20, 2014
Dear Alexandra,

We understand your issue. And mistakes can happen.

When you do a booking with booking.com or any other webpage you need to contact the booking webpage first. We are not able to refund or change bookings they are not made directly with us.

Usually the support hotlines are helpful and will solve the mistake for you.

With kind regards

Deputy General Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Rumlang
Park Inn by Radisson Zurich Airport
Hilton Zurich Airport
Hilton Zurich Airport
#4 of 10 in Opfikon
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,815 reviews

Been to Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!