“Value for the price with good access to Zurich hbf thru train”

Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rumlang
Reviewed October 22, 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel has train service to the Zurich hbf within 15 mins. The frequency is about 2 times per hour. Staying at this hotel allowed me to reach the tourist centre or package day tours near to Zurich hbf without much difficulty. I could park my car at the hotel without paying hefty parking cost in Zurich. The breakfast is above typical standard of holiday inn express especially with the selection of hot beverages. However it could be that I am slightly unlucky to be assigned or given a room with faulty ac as a result a change of room is needed in the middle of the night. I appreciate the front desk for helping us to move to another room but would appreciate better if rooms generically do not have these issues. Other than these we also have to understand the expectation of what we are getting for the price we are paying. I do really want to thank the staff there for their good service despite the heavy customer inflow during peak hours. It's not easy and also the amount of man power given for the breakfast, maintaining and refilling the food. The breakfast starts at 4am! Not many hotel does that...

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Danny170000
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 23, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for staying at our hotel. We are happy that you had such a pleasant stay and that you experienced such helpful and friendly staff at our hotel.
I would appreciate if you could inform me which room number the first room had in which there where challenges with the air con, so that I can check this (gm@hiexzurich.ch).
Thank you for helping us to solve this issue for future guests.

Hope to welcome you soon back again.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,514)

Reviewed October 21, 2013

The first indication of trouble was on check in. Guests arguing with the staff about rates and internet charges, mostly. They had our reservation information, but at a higher rate than we had booked with Holiday Inn central. Fortunately, my computer had an email confirmation of the reservation; I had to turn it on to show them the rate, at which point they accepted it. I had also been told at the time of reservation that internet was included - it is at Holidays Inns around in the world, particularly in the more civilized countries. The front desk clerk was very proud that here it was NOT - "in Switzerland everything costs". The "free" 30 minute internet voucher lasted 14 minutes of email (not high bandwidth consumption). I purchased 15 minute (lasted 6 minutes) and 60 (lasted 21 minutes) minute vouchers. This last was activated at the front desk where they could verify that it was not providing the purchased time. The staff response: "You can buy another hour".

It is a great pity. The building is modern if somewhat difficult to find. Rooms are well appointed though small. This could be a great airport hotel if the management and the staff has the slightest respect for the paying guest. The staff seemed to take pride in their rudeness, They seemed to argue with almost everyone checking in or out.

The 2 final images for this hotel are quite telling: 1. Two guests trying to speak to the manager chasing him through the lobby, and 2. a bowl of small Swiss chocolates labeled "thank you to our guests" hidden behind and below the counter where nobody could access them.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our property and for giving us such a detailed review of your stay.
We are very sorry that you experienced a couple of unsatisfying issues and I would like to apologize for the confusing check-in at the beginning of your stay.
Unfortunately, most of the hotels in Zurich and in Switzerland do not offer internet free of charge. Our hotel offers every guest staying at the hotel 30 minutes free internet to check their emails and to print boarding passes. Afterwards we offer very moderate prices for the internet vouchers which you can purchase at our front-desk, compared to most of the other hotels. At the moment all our Priority Club Platium and Gold members receive free internet. From 1st January on also our Club/Basic members will receive free internet during their stay. I recommend that you enrol and take part in the IHG Loyality System so that next time you can profit from this deal. If you need any assistance with the enrolment, please let me know. There must have been a misunderstanding with the front-office clerk - we apologize once more for this language problem.
Unfortunately we cannot do anything about the size of the rooms since all Holiday Inn Express Hotels have the same size and this is a brand standard.
The Swiss Choclate which you have seen behind the bar is for our "small guests (children)".
I would really appreciate if you could contact me via mail (gm@hiexzurich.ch) or via phone (+41-44-8093400) so that you could give me more information about your stay.
Again we apologize for any inconveniences caused. Thank you for your understanding.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Passing through Zurich and stayed at this hotel. Very well appointed, modern, sleek and clean. Great rooms and there was a free airport shuttle. It's just 5 minutes from the railway station (7fr/person to get to Zurich Central station as opposed to a 60fr taxi ride) and I found it to be a great transit hotel for anyone passing through the airport.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 20, 2013

Dear Neil

Thank you for your wonderful review and we are very happy that you enjoyed your stay so much at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

It will be a pleasure to welcome you back soon.

Regards

Reviewed October 18, 2013

Stayed for 1 night, and it was ok. The restaurant had a special "American barbecue" that night; the salad was good, the ribs terrible. The room was modern and well appointed. The bed was not good at all, it was way too soft, which make me think that there is no consistency, as another member of the TripAdvisor family (alskx3), had the opposite problem, namely a too hard mattress. The wifi is free only for half an hour, which lasted exactly 6 minutes for me; I complained, and they gave me a free hour. Personally I hate when hotels nickel and dime you, especially with an important service as the internet access is for most of us. The breakfast was good for a Holiday Inn Express. I will not return, based on the bad quality of the mattress, which make it impossible to have a good night rest.

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed review. We are always interested how guests feel about our hotel product.
We did not have any complaints yet about our "American BBQ". We will definitely investigate with our local butcher what the reason was for the ribs. We apologize for this incident and we are sure the cook offered you an alternative at the grill.
Our Platium and Gold Priority members receive the internet free of charge. From 1st January 2014 on also our Basic/Club members receive the internet free of charge so I can recommend you to get a member of our guest loyalty system. It will be a pleasure for us to enrol you if you need our assistance. All guests we offer 1/2 hour free internet to check their mails and print their boarding cards. Unfortunately in nearly all hotel in Switzerland and Zurich you still need to pay for the internet - at our hotel you can purchase vouchers for a very moderate price compared to the other hotels.
All our mattresses have been replaced only 4 months ago so you have slept in brand new mattresses. As you see there is not a lot we can do about this comment.

We hope to see you soon back at our hotel and apologize once more for the caused incidents.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The room was nice, clean and with comfortable bed and pillows. There is a free shuttle service to/from the airport (but booking is needed when going to the airport). Breakfast is ok but the bar service and cleanliness are probably the only negative aspect of this hotel. Overall it is a good value option.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded October 18, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for good review and the detailed information you gave. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel.
I would really appreciate if you could get in contact with me via mail (gm@hiexzurich.ch) or phone (0041-79-3906993) - I would be very interested to find out what exactly you did not like about the bar service and what exactly was not clean in the hotel.
We take such comments very serious to make sure our quality increases. Thank you for your help.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

This seems an average HI express and delivers on the basics - clean room, relatively quiet (despite busy rail line nextdoor and airport nearby, it was fairly quiet), and decent (not huge) buffet breakfast at reasonable price for the area. Shuttle regularly runs to/from ZRH about every half hour - be sure to reserve the TO airport ride and get to shuttle on time, as some times of day are very busy. Room has coffee maker but no mini bar, no free wifi, and NO wakeup call! Room and bathroom relatively small, clean; shower good pressure. Market very near (as is 'Subway') - and hotel has own bar and restaurant with limited choices. Check in/out can be busy with small lines at times.

Room Tip: Get top (5th) fl if possible for quiet.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for choosing our hotel and for writing such a detailed review. Please give me the chance to comment some of your points:
1. Our breakfast is always complimentary - no supl. costs will accure
2. Due to the Holiday Inn Express Standards our hotel has no mini-bar in the rooms, but we have a wide variety of vending machines in the lobby and also a ice machine
3.1/2 hour Wifi is free of charge in the hotel for every guest to check their emails and print boarding passes. If you are a Gold or Platium Priority Club member you will also have 24 hours internet free of charge. I recommend you to become a Basic PCR member since from 1st January 2013 also the Club members have free internet in our hotel.

Have a good weekend and kind regards

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I would like to give this place 4 stars because the room was well appointed, breakfast was generous and the overall layout of the hotel is modern and contemporary, spacious and elegant. However, there were some issues with this hotel that make it only 1 star. There was no shampoo in the bathroom, just a hand squeeze, wall mounted hand soap. There was mold, black spongy looking mold in the bathroom, hair in the bottom of the stand alone shower, and the mattress was too hard to be anything close to comfortable.

Front desk just seemed clueless beyond words. No apologies, no exceptions, nothing. I even inquired about purchasing a watch in the lobby display, but was told they accepted cash only. Since it was the airport hotel, I thought that was strange and not very accommodating. Of course, they wanted money to change dollars for francs, which left me feeling scammed.

This was not a comfortable, accommodating hotel and the mold issues aggravated my asthma and allergies. Any hotel that is not concerned about the safety of their guests should be avoided.

Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank alskx3

Dear Guest

First of all thank you for staying at our hotel and we are very happy that you intended to give our hotel a 4* ranking.
Due to the Holiday Inn Express band standards we do not have bath amenities in our bath room since we are a budget brand - you will find these amenities in Hotels like Holiday Inn or Crown Plaza. But we do have in the shower a special shower liquid and near the hand wash sink a special hand soap which can be used. We just exchanged all the mattresses only 4 months ago so they are brand new - we are very sorry that you did not like them.
I apologize for the bath room and would really appreciate if you could get in contact with me via mail (gm@hiexzurich.ch) or mobile (0041-79-3906993) so you could give me the exact room number and more information about the issue. As you see the management takes such incidents very serious.
Again I would like to apologize for the incidents caused and hope you will give us a second chance since you liked our hotels overall.
About purchasing the watch I can give you the following information. We have no interest in changing foreign currency in Swiss francs. But the items to purchase are managed by a external company and they do not accept any credit cards and just cash - we have to pass on the money directly to them. I hope my explanations help to clear the situation.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rumlang
Park Inn by Radisson Zurich Airport
#2 of 10 in Opfikon
Hotel Welcome Inn
Hotel Welcome Inn
#2 of 3 in Kloten

Been to Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!