“Some guests tried to open my room!!”

Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rumlang
Reviewed September 15, 2013

The hotel is near to the Zurich International Airport. There is a shuttle from the airport to the hotel and vice versa that works very well. The room is spacious and quiet. The bathroom is small and very clean. The breakfast has good options. Everything was going well until the evening of August 31, 2013, when I was sleeping and some guests tried to break into my room around 11:30 pm. I was very scared. I started yelling at the intruders, asking them to leave. They apologized and told me that the reception had given my room to them (room 502). Within minutes, the desk girl called me asking me to bring my passport to the reception. When I was leaving the room, the receptionist came to pick my data. She went away and had no formal apology by the hotel for what happened. I was stressed out and only got to sleep around 5:00 am. I will never come back to that hotel!!

Room Tip: Caution! Your room can be invaded by other guests at late night. Keep the doors locked!
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank vinigmartins
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 18, 2013

Dear Guest
Thank you for writing such a detailed review which will help us to improve our service in the future. We take your incident very serious and would like to apologize for the inconveniences caused during your stay.
I agree that such an incident is inacceptable and has not happened before in our hotel. Although our helpful front office staff reacted at once it is not satisfying for you and it was not the intention to scare you.
Please contact me via mail gm@hiexzurich.ch or call me on my mobile 0041-793906993, so we can discuss this incident once more and talk about a compensation since you nearly did not sleep at our hotel.
Hope to hear from you soon.
Thomas Mettler, GM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,513)

Reviewed September 15, 2013

I am Priority Club member and I stay with IHG frequently. However, for my stay at the Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport I used my American Airlines Miles. The initial bad service experience was not the hotels fault since AA did not make it clear in their confirmation E-Mail that the hotel was located in Rumlang and not in Zurich as per the confirmation mail and we ended up in Zurich looking for a hotel that did no exist.
We arrival late in the evening since my wife and kids had to catch an early flight. At the front entrance of the hotel there was no designated area to unload 4 suitcase, strollers etc. before parking the car and we were greeted by a honking shuttle bus of the hotel (not great)
At check- in they told us that we had to provide an AA voucher which we did not have. I told the clerk we just had an e-mail. After a long discussion she agreed that we where aloud to forward the message to the hotel using my 30 minutes of complimentary internet (just had 10 minutes left after check in). This was the first disappointment since I was convinced that Holiday Inn/Express offers complimentary internet as a brand standard. I also asked for my Priority Club points but was told that because I made my reservation with AA I was not entitled to receive any benefits. However, I understand the hotel will provide points for every $ spend (bar, food etc.)
Our reservation clearly said 2 adults 2 children but the first room we were sent to had just a King size bad. Therefore, it was very frustrating to return with 4 suitcases and crying kids to the front desk to have another room assigned that had a sofa bed. The room was OK but the linen on the sofa bed had stains and the shampoo bottle in the shower had been ripped out of the wall.
Later in the evening I went to the bar but it took 10 minutes and a loud “Excuse me” until the lady behind the bar stopped playing with her computer to take my order. At the same time there were several employees in uniforms around bar area chatting and having a good time instead of taking care of guests (not what I expect).
The next morning at check-out the front office clerk asked me about my stay and I told her that I was not very happy. She apologized and gave me a chocolate but never asked why I was unhappy. I therefore, wonder why asking if you don’t care.
Positive, the breakfast selection. Very good variety of food items. During breakfast there was a manager present making sure that all guest where happy and coordinating the staff. I wish he would have been at the reception desk and bar the night before.
Overall not a hotel I will return. The next time I have to overnight at Zurich Airport I will stay at the Hilton.

Room Tip: Did not see the Pool nor the Fitness Centre dont know
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank Matito777_11

Dear Guest

Thank you for your email and all the important information provided. These information are very important for us and will make sure to improve the service quality of our hotel.
After your information we have reacted at once:
1. Should a guest unload his suitcases in front of the hotel the shuttle bus will stop at another position so that the guest will not be stressed.
2. We apologize for the incident with the wifi - unfortunately the internet will be free from the 1st January 2014 on - but the front office staff should have given you a supl. free voucher for your internet due doing the checks for the AA voucher.
3. Also for the stains in the linen I would like to apologize. The HK-Supervisor checked all the linen left in the hotel so that such a problem should not happen again.
4. Our maintenance staff checked all the rooms for the shampoo bottle which has been ripped out of the wall - this has been repaired at once.
5. The unprofessional behaviour of the service staff member is not acceptable at all - this person has received a written warning. Sorry for that.
6. I have personally trained the front office staff and instructed them how to behave if someone has a complaint - I agree that the behaviour was not sensible enough.
I would be very pleased if you would contact me (gm@hiexzurich.ch or 0041-793906993) so I could some more information about the incidents.

Kind regards and have a good day.

Reviewed September 14, 2013 via mobile

Nice hotel decent rooms food is however not great and overpriced bit there are no food alternatives around ...and no the McDonalds across the street is not an alternative at least not for me. I will probably not stay again only since it is very limiting. Prices are similar to downtown Zurich hotels and would much rather stay there.

• Stayed: September 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for staying at our hotel and for writing a review.
First of all I would like to apologize for any inconveniences caused.
Next to our hotel we have a few restaurants near by, like Italian restaurants, A restaurant with a lot of meat meals plus Subway and as you mentioned Mc Donald's.
Compared to other restaurants and locations the prices in the restaurant are very moderate and we have a very big variety of national and international food choices.

Hope to see you soon back again at the Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

Reviewed September 11, 2013

Average experience. The better thing about the hotel is the staff: very friendly and cooperative. The food is average with slow service. The shuttle to the airport was good, the driver was very professional and as you need to make a reservation you will always have room. Good option.

Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for writing this review. We are happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay so much, especially the good service from our helpful staff.
We hope to see you soon back again at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

This was the last stop on our 19-day vacation through four countries in Europe. The day before arriving, I realized there were a few gaps in our itinerary details, so emailed the hotel. We received two very prompt replies with excellent details on which train number leaving from which track to take once we arrived in Zurich and needed to take a transfer.

Upon arriving, we did not have a "voucher" from our travel agent. This caused some problem, so I offered to pay and take it up with the agency when I got home. But Danny, at the front desk, would not accept this offer. He insisted that we go up to our room, settle in, then come back down and he would take care of things. When we returned, he resumed working on the situation and came up with a solution. This, even with a line of waiting guests.

This is a no-nonsense, non-frills hotel. But I couldn't find better service from front desk personnel (all three I communicated with by email and in person) anywhere.

Need a quick place to stay before taking off from the Zurich airport? This is it--and you get a free shuttle to take you there.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank WordyWormReading
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 11, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for writing such a positive review and we are very happy to hear that our staff could help you so much. I will give on your compliment to our staff members.

We hope to see you soon back again at the Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

Reviewed September 8, 2013

Clean room with nice big windows and a Hotel for a reasonable price in Zurich with very friendly and helpful staff. Regular shuttle from Airport to Hotel.Good and early breakfast starting at 4 a.m. in de morning. I will be back soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you so much for this wonderful review. I will forward your compliments to my staff and hope to welcome you soon again at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

Reviewed September 7, 2013

This is an airport hotel, and while it isn't in walking distance, the hotel bus goes regularly and takes only about 10 minutes. And it goes like clockwork (like pretty much everything in Switzerland).
So if you have an early flight as I had, you can plan up to the minute, and sleep that little extra bit!
The room I stayed in was the typical HIX room (are they all the same size the world over?), nothing missing, nothing positively surprising. I was treated very well by the staff.
Now to the real downer in this hotel: Breakfast is available from very early in the morning (4am I believe), but the buffet selection is worse than the average bed and breakfast in Zurich. No scrambled eggs, cheap sausages and industrial cheese (and that in Switzerland). There are a few "fruit bowls" which contained apples swimming around in ice water. Only good stuff: Bircher Müsli, a must-try if you're not familiar with Swiss cuisine.

Room Tip: I believe they're all the same.
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and all the important details mentioned. We are very happy that you enjoyed the friendly and helpful staff at our property. I will discuss the breakfast suggestions with our F&B manager and will make sure that we get the breakfast buffet upgraded in the future. If you have any further issues please feel free to contact me under: gm@hiexzurich.ch.

Hope to see you soon back again at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rumlang
Park Inn by Radisson Zurich Airport
#2 of 10 in Opfikon
Hotel Welcome Inn
Hotel Welcome Inn
#2 of 3 in Kloten

Been to Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!