“nice property, airport convenience”

Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Rumlang
Zurich, Switzerland
“nice property, airport convenience”
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Of course, if you are needing to be near the airport it is quite fine and has a shuttle back & forth. The in-airport hotels are outrageously priced usually, so the HIE is a good option. Very modern, clean and nice rooms, great continental breakfast (was more than I expected actually). No outside noise in rooms; parking outside or underground available (both for a rate); We ate in another village so I do not know about their evening menu. They advertised a summer grill option that I thought would be nice if we didn't already make plans away for dinner.
The only disappointment was the 'free wifi' which was only free for the 1st 30 min...I always feel like it is a mean trick to play on guests when the website shows free wifi and it is not entirely free.
We stayed here in order to extend our AA miles & just took the most inexpensive option, but thought because it is an American chain we were looking forward to a night of a/c AND huge American pillows as well. The a/c was great but the pillows were not. Usually we bring our own pillows wherever we go, but did not this time (thinking they would be the typical American pillows). Now another lesson learned...

Room Tip: join their priority club & you always get a better room & whatever perks...it is free to joi...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Holiday Inn Exp... Z, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 23, 2013
Dear Guest

We are very happy to hear that you have enjoyed your stay so much at our property.
It is correct that we offer every guest 30 minutes free internet per stay - afterwards you can buy internet vouchers at the reception for a very moderate price. Nearly all hotels in Switzerland charge the internet in hotels and public areas.

Thank you for your understanding and we hope to see you soon back again at our property.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (168)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed July 19, 2013 via mobile

You are really only going to stay here for the airport but you will find it is some way out. There is a shuttle bus which takes 15 minutes or a taxi costs CHF 40.

The rooms are absolutely fine - exactly as you will find in countless Holiday Inn Express anywhere.

The food is nasty in the evening and edible in the morning. A short walk away is a pizza joint which is marginally less nasty but a whole lot less expensive.

You need to book the shuttle bus which fills quickly - even if you have booked your seat it is still a free for all to get on the bus.

• Stayed July 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and all the important information.
Our hotel is only 7 minutes away from the airport and our shuttle runs all half hours. We are asking all the guests at check-in about a reservation for shuttle, since our target is that all guests have a relaxed and unstressed trip from the hotel to the airport. The system runs very well and we did not have any complaints in the last months about the shuttle service.
Our food menu was changed and we get a lot of compliments from guests about the food - at the moment we offer BBQ and a supl. "dish of the day".

For any inconveniences we apologize and hope that you will give us a second chance.

chicago
Reviewed July 17, 2013

We stayed here for our last night before a morning flight with the expectation that this would just be the last night to get to the airport on time with elderly parents and children without a lot of hassle. The plusses: free airport shuttle, quiet rooms.
The minuses: soft uncomfortable beds, sofabed for children even worse. There is sort of a restaurant which has a fixed meal in the evening which was not very good. The breakfast buffet in the morning was okay. The rooms and hallways could stand some repainting. Worn around the edges. This hotel gets the job done for getting in and out of the airport.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest

Thank you for your email and all the important information provided. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed our breakfast buffet, the rooms and the service of our complimentary shuttle to the airport.
About the "dish of the day" you ordered in the evening we made some investigations. We did not have any further complaints about the 3-course menu - normally we get a lot of compliments for this dish and the price for CHF 25.00 is really a bargain in Switzerland.
We have just replaced all our mattresses and all the sofas have been repaired.

Sorry for any inconveniences caused during your stay.

Hope to see you soon back again at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

UK
Reviewed July 15, 2013

The very frequent shuttle is very convenient, although the hotel is some distance from the airport to be fair. The train runs alongside the hotel, but you don't hear it.
Rooms are basic and very utility for the one night traveller, but thats what most of us do. They are clean and the bed was very comfortable. Small bathroom with shower, plenty of hot water and coffee making facilities.
Arriving late, around 9pm we were glad to hear we could buy something to eat, but grateful though we were, to be honest it was very cafeteria style, the potatoe wedges were cold and hard as if they had been re-fried. They had one man coping with the bar and food orders, although they had waitresses to deliver food. Sometimes he had too much to do and you had a longish wait for service, but 10 out of 10 to him for acknowledging us and saying he would be with us soon.
Breakfast in the morning was plentiful, if you like the Continental breakfast of cheeses, hams, salads. We just had cereal, roll and coffee, but it was fine, and that it was available from 4am was a plus, even for an airport hotel.
We would use again, but maybe not the restaurant.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for writing a review and for explaining in detail what you have enjoyed so much at our property - we are very happy to hear that you spent a wonderful time at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.
By the way - we have now more staff employed in the evening so that you will receive a outstanding service from now on.

Kind regards,
Sydney
Reviewed July 10, 2013

Our last 2 days in Switzerland we stayed Here. So convienient to get the train from Grindalwald, get off at Olten, collect our luggage & back on the train to Zurich airport. The FREE shuttle to the hotel that runs every 15mins or so took us to the hotel, about 15 mins away. The hotel is clean, beds comfy & most of all, quiet. We could see the planes take off but could not hear them. The hotel had a bar & restuarant which we did not use. The buffet breakfast was included in the CF85 per night. Hot and cold, fruit, breads eggs, yoghurts, tea, coffee ect. All very nice. Next day we took the free shuttle into the city for only CF5. We spent the day there & caught the 5.30 one back. Next morning took the shuttle to the airport to fly home. Will definately sty there again.

Room Tip: We were very happy with our room on the second floor. Cant comment about the others. Not syre if the...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guest

Thank you for your great review and we are very delighted that you have enjoyed your stay at our property so much.
Hope to see you soon back again at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

Kind regards,
Sayreville, New Jersey
Reviewed July 9, 2013

The hotel is okay compared to the many in downtown, however, it is very easy to go to downtown via the Free Shuttle the hotel provides and convenient timings. The hotel also provides shuttle service to the airport from where you can rent a car and drive around the city and/or other parts of Switzerland (which me and my wife did). There's not much food options nearby but still recommend staying here if you want to save some money and sight-see instead of staying in downtown Zurich itself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
GM1973, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 10, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for staying at our hotel and we are very pleased that you have enjoyed your stay so much at our Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport.

We hope to welcome you soon back again.

Nevada
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Our last day and night of a great trip to Eastern Europe was totally ruined by our stay at this establishment. The location is good and that's about all I can say, and the room was clean with a nice view of the airport. Now their true color's come out. Upon arrival I asked if they had a map to the city as their brochure rack had only one copy of one written in Japanese. A receptionist looked up and says "sorry, we are out". Then the receptionist's head goes back down with no more interaction. I asked another question and got another "sorry" and the head goes back down. No offer of help or anything. We just left and went out on our own and figured things out. All staff acted like robots. Now the next morning we packed, made arrangements to be on a morning shuttle bus and left on time. During the unpacking of the shuttle, getting our bags out of the back of the van, I had forgot my prize position that I bought myself while in Europe. A $500USD pair of handmade Italian dress shoes. They were in a designer bag with handles and I had also put my black jacket in the bag as they were to be on the plane home with me. It was less than 5 minutes later I discovered they weren't with me. I checked airport lost and found, airport police and then called the hotel. The hotel stated the shuttle bus had not arrived back but to call back in 10 minutes. I again retraced my steps and 15 minutes later called back to the hotel. They said they had good news for me and the bag with my shoes and jacket had been found and would they like for me to have them put it on the next shuttle bus and pick it up at the airport. Time was running out so I asked if they could hold it and I would call when I get home the next day and make arrangements for their delivery. Not a problem. I made it home, and sent them a message about how would be the best way to make the delivery. No response back. The next day I sent another message and no response. Now I called and spoke with a receptionist that knew of the bag but didn't know where it was and that she would have to ask and find out. Another day and I get an email stating "sorry, I found the bag with the jacket in it but no shoes." Now I get management involved and this gets drawn out for almost 2 weeks with a final email stating that all employees had been spoken with including the shuttle bus driver and basically no one knows anything at all. We are very sorry that you were led to believe that the shoes were here. Then they give me a link to making further reservations to the hotel. So they have the designer bag, the black jacket but the box in the bag was never seen. Bottom line was that they had the entire package accounted for the morning I left, but the one item just happend to disappear after a few days. Of course no employee is going to come forward and say they stole the items from a guest. So they just change the story to the guest and say sorry. No offer of compensation or anything else except this, they did say that the general manager was personally going to go to the post office and mail me back my empty designer bag and jacket that I cared nothing about. I'm still fighting this battle because this bad establishment needs to have it known about their terrible staff that does a dishonest service to the guest's that visit here. It appears others have made some comments about the sub-par service received here at this hotel. Be very leary of ever staying here and do not trust any employee.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank CCNV
GM1973, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport, responded to this review, July 7, 2013
Dear Guest

The management has checked this case and has reported the case also to the local police authorities. You are accusing the staff to have stolen your belongings - this accusation is not only false and ridiculous - it is also very unfair and is harming the hotels reputation.
You left your bag with your jacket and the shoes at the airport on a bench and forgot to take it with you. During this time the bag was unattended and your shoes were stolen.
Our shuttle driver took the bag after you called the hotel back to the hotel and in the bag no shoes were found. We have given you the address of the airport police and the lost and found centre at the airport so that you can investigate. There is not more we can do.

I am not only shocked about your accusation, no I am even very angry - how can you accuse people to steal property if you have no proof - this is not acceptable and very unfair.

We have contacted the Trip-Advisor management to remove this review since it is violation international standards and is harming the hotels reputation without reason. We have also asked them to put you on a black-list to make sure you cannot harm also other hotels with such reviews in the future. I am very sure Trip Advisor will remove the review.

Thank you for your understanding.

Thomas Mettler, GM

Travelers are raving about these Rumlang hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rumlang
Park Inn by Radisson Zurich Airport
#1 of 3 in Kloten
NH Zurich Airport
NH Zurich Airport
#6 of 10 in Opfikon

Been to Holiday Inn Express Zurich Airport? Share your experiences!