Ways to Experience Jokulsarlon Lagoon
from $156.20
from $176.00
from $199.00
2,413 results
All reviews boat tour the black sand beach long drive across the road icebergs floating diamond beach amazing place ring road hour drive south coast amazing sight both sides out of this world parking lot floating ice huge icebergs northern lights
Reviewed yesterday

This review covers the Zodiac Boat Tour, not the lagoon as a whole. We did the zodiac boat tour on October 24, 2018. The scenery was amazing. The company provided gear which kept us warm (as it is quite chilly on the lagoon in October). It's probably much warmer in the summer I expect. Our party of five enjoyed the tour, but we all agreed we were disappointed. The ride was extremely rough. Roughly 80% of the time was spent at high speeds, and we were all holding on to avoid falling out or into the floor. The remaining 20% of the time, the driver slowed to idle speeds or slow to circle around or near ice bergs. Two boats went out at once and it seemed they were purposely creating waves as to disrupt the other boat. The ride was extremely rough and we did get wet while on the choppy water. It kind of seemed like we were in a race to get done and back. It was nearly impossible to take pictures while the boat was in motion (the 80%) as you needed to hold on. I suppose the boat did have to be in a hurry to cover the amount of the lake we did, as this one does go much farther than the Amphibian Boat Tour. It's my opinion that the Amphibian Tour would have been a little calmer, more relaxing, and probably very scenic as well, though not going as close to the glacier as we did. We booked this tour because it would go closer to the glacier an ice bergs, but for the price, the other tour would have likely been just as enjoyable. Perhaps if I return we will try it. If the guides would advise you before that it was going to be a very choppy ride and a great deal of high speed travel we might have been more prepared for what was ahead of us.

Reviewed yesterday via mobile

Chamber of Commerce trip. Great place. Raw beauty. We had a week here staying in the capital Reykjavik and then two days in Vik. The food was fantastic, the air so clean and the water most delicious.
It is expensive be prepared to be shocked. Wish I had ridden the horses. They roam all over the island.
Go visit if you can.

Reviewed 3 days ago

Wow! Today my esteemed spouse and I were amazed at the Jokulsarlon glacier lagoon. So...to get ready for YOUR trip..We started in Skoga and it was almost a four hour drive..We aren't awfully speedy, and we stopped and took a lot of pictures but even so, it's not next door. But don't let that stop you! It's so worth the trip! The lagoon was filled with huge glaciers, all competing to escape from the bay into the ocean. Because we were there just before and then during the tide change we saw the glaciers make their escape..so cool! They are multi colored, and the backdrop of the mountains and the glacier are awe inspiring. On the practical note..have plenty of gas and food for the trip, not lots of opportunities to fill up...there are some, but not many. At the lagoon you can make reservations for lots of activities. Or...you can just be stunned by the beauty!

Reviewed 4 days ago via mobile

One of the best highlights of visiting Iceland. Definitely try the fish and chips at “nailed it”. The views are amazing and the drive is majestic all on its own. I recommend planing to stay south for a day or two. I was in Vik which is about 2.5 hours away but would have stayed in Hofn as well.

Reviewed 4 days ago

I had never seen icebergs before, so this stop on our trip was breathtaking.

Everything about the scenery is dramatic, from the blue of the water to the glowing white of the snow. I couldn't believe my eyes when I reviewed the drone footage afterward, because it looks like the lagoon is glowing. It's such a unique and humbling experience, I really recommend you make it a stop if you're touring around Iceland.

Personally, we did not go on a boat tour, and I still felt like we had a great time and saw everything we wanted to. We even sat close to the water and watched a seal pop up around the bergs. It's really easy to get great photos here because even if it's busy, so so large you can wander around to achieve the shot you want.

Please pay this beautiful lagoon a visit and blow it a kiss for me :)

Reviewed 1 week ago

Stunning lagoon filled with icebergs.
If you book a zodiac boat trip from their website beware that the trip may be cancelled without notice - I did not get an email to inform me.
Only when I got to the ticket office did I find the trip I had paid for was not running.
And they do not refund you at the ticket office.
So if you still want to see the icebergs up close you have to buy another ticket for the amphibious vehicle.
A refund is eventually put back onto your account.
Was a bit disappointed with the amphibious boat trip as it just did a loop of the lake without getting very close to the icebergs.
It lasts about 40 mins vs one hour for the zodiac.
There is a cafe on site and WC.
Don't forget to walk under the bridge to the black sand of Diamond beach.

Reviewed 1 week ago

Its hard to believe you are in a place where there are icebergs in the Lagoon. You go on a boat trip very close to the Ice Bergs.
You then go to the Black Sand Beach where there are massive blocks of Ice washed up on the beach. One of the most special and unique places in the world.
Its a few hundred K outside Reykjavik but whatever you do make the effort to get there.

1  Thank Eddie E
Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

The ice formations and breaks from the glacier close by are amazing. You can take some great looking shots here! You can also fly your drone but be weary of high winds. Before hitting the actual lagoon, try to stop by the two trails seen on your left from the ring road to catch some good shots of the landscape. You have to hike up a trail a bit and see the lagoon from another perspective. Also, there is a small restaurant 10 mins from the lagoon where you can get food and also see the glacier up close

Reviewed 1 week ago via mobile

This was one of the highlights of our trip to Iceland. It is insanely beautiful, broken pieces of glaciers scattered on beach. In addition, accross the street is the Diamond Beach. So as the waves and current carry the glaciers over a bridge, some of the glaciers end up on the beach there. They were truly like huge diamonds that are super clear and sparkly.

Reviewed 1 week ago

This is an amazing place and a must visit when you are in Iceland. The scenery of the huge colorful Icebergs floating in the lagoon is breathtaking and one you will not want to miss.

This place is about 4.5 hrs to 5 hrs non-stop drive from Reykjavik. But it is well worth it. There are a number of viewing points for this. We parked in the P1 area first and walked over to the hillside to get a birds eye view of the icebergs from the top. This is where you can get the best view depending on the weather.

On the day we went, it was rainy and we drove across the bridge and parked near the cafe. From here, we got a close-up view of the broken ice-bergs and the ice-bergs that were floating away towards the ocean. There is a small hill here where you can again capture the stunning views.

The cafe is good for a nice hot coffee and some hot/cold food.

I would recommend to wear warm and "water-proof" clothes to this place. Please also wear strong non-slippery walking shoes.

The drive back to Reykjavik will take again 5 hrs. If you are driving in Autumn/Winter then suggest to do a break journey in Vik otherwise you will end up driving all day/night to this place. In summer, there is plenty of sunlight and driving from/to Reykjavik can be manageable with all the other attractions on the South Iceland Ring Route 1.

In summary - Do Not Miss This Place.