“Beautifully Restored and the grounds are lovely” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #4 of 26 things to do in Parramatta
Sydney
61 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Beautifully Restored and the grounds are lovely”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2013

This is a beautiful piece of Sydneys history. After visiting several times as a kid I was fortunate enpugh to get married out the front of the house and had my reception in the restaurant behind the house. Recently my 9 year old daughter visted on a school excursion and she loved seeing all the old furniture and how life was back in the old days.

Well worth an visit it is an easy walk from Parramatta train station.

Visited August 2013

Auckland, New Zealand
54 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 71 helpful votes
“A real treasure”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 24, 2013

I wasn't too sure if this was going to be my cuppa tea, but how wrong I was, I loved every minute of this tour. Cost was $9 if I remember correctly, it was the best money I spent. The tour guide was so informative, the history of the building, the furniture, and of the beautiful grounds.The tour length was approx 1 hour, and if you have the time, I would certainly recommend this.

Visited August 2013
1 Thank sneezydownunder
New York City, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 52 helpful votes
“Spoiled by mobile phones”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2013

There is no question that old Government House is of great interest. The tour cost $9 and was adequate however I was disappointed that the guide did not know the provenance of some of the better known furniture, including some of the furniture originally owned by the Macquarie family, and did not prevent a noisy visitor from having two long telephone conversations which interrupted the tour while it was in progress. The absurd outcome of this was that the noisy visitor demanded that the tour end as she had to leave to meet someone, and the guide obliged her by calling it off there and then, when we were about three quarters of the way through. I wrote to the National Trust about this but have not received a reply. If you go, do not take what the guide says as entirely accurate as they seem under-trained to me and not very well informed.

Visited April 2013
3 Thank wme79736
New Zealand
316 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 152 helpful votes
“History in a grand setting”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2013

We walked here along the river path and were really impressed by the grand scale of the original settlement well before we arrived. Along the way there were a series of signs explaining the origins of the farming that began here and which enabled Sydney to produce sufficient food for it's early inhabitants. If you're interested in history, and Australian history in particular, this is a real treasure trove.

Visited April 2013
Wirral
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 53 helpful votes
“Oldest Public Building in Australia”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We caught the ferry from Circulay Quay to Parramatta using a My Multi 1 ticket. It was a very pleasant trip lasting nearly an hour and you see different areas of the harbour. We then walked upstream along the river to the tourist information centre to get a map of Parramatta and its only a short walk then to Old Government House. We were shown around by a very knowledgeable guide at our own pace and could ask as many questions as we wished. This is a National Trust property and members from the UK can enter for free. It's well worth an outing.

Visited March 2013