“Room OK but No Facilities”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Mantra Parramatta

Mantra Parramatta
Ranked #5 of 11 Hotels in Parramatta
Sydney, Australia
“Room OK but No Facilities”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 26, 2010

Amiable staff on our Saturday arrival at 1PM. Then got told restaurant was closed for not only lunch (we were hungry) but also dinner. So we went for room service... That didn't start until 5PM.

The only positive out of this experience was that we found a wonderful little restaurant called Peronis just minutes from the Mantra Hotel. Top food, great wine selection, fantastic service.

As for the Parramatta Mantra... Small towels. That sums it up.

They claims 4.5 stars. No. 4 stars at best. And I'm being generous.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jez670509

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Launceston, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2010

*excellent service on arrival, pleasant and helpful front desk staff
*room service was wonderful. The meals we ordered were of high quality and served in a short timeframe, which was good because we were tired and very hungry.
*room was well prepared, clean and comfortable
*location of facility very central to all out needs while in Parramatta
*check out went smoothly and again the desk service was excellent
* having secure parking was a big plus as we are from Tasmania and were a little "nervous" about being in a new place and having a hire car securely parked helped us to relax.
* this is an excellent place to stay and would recommend it to anyone needing a comfortable and safe place to stay while visiting NSW :)

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Alirules
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2010

Modern. Great location. Priced great. Excellent staff who are very obliging. Food in restaurant superb. Close to train station. You really can't go wrong!

• Stayed August 2010
1 Thank Travel5alot
Monroe, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2010

We stayed 1 night before flying out of Sydney. I thought it would be easy to drive to but I had trouble navigating the smaller roads to get to Parramatta. I think the hotel was nice, but the staff was snooty when we walked in wearing casual clothes and had a reservation with an online travel site. We got a bigger room and it was really big - enough for my wife to repack two suitcases and I still had room to move. However the kitchen was tiny and we had to eat on the large expance of floor. Parking you have to buzz the front desk to get in and out, and I think it was $12/night. We walked to the mall to get some food at the grocery, 2 or 3 blocks away. Maybe if you were not driving here it would be fine, but we had no reason to stay in Parramatta specifically so I would pick a different town next time. Oh, and the top floors I think are condos.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank newkid_uw
Shellharbour, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2010

My boyfriend and I stayed one night for an Eels home game on a Monday. We're students so the studio apartment costing around $180 for the night for two of us was a little out of our price range but the room was lovely and comfortable so it was well worth it. The room was really spacious, the bed was amazingly comfy, loved the huge bathroom, spa and awesome shower - a real treat.

The hotel is really in the heart of Parramatta, just a stroll to Westfield and a little bit more of a walk to the restaurant strip in Church st. We caught a cab because we're lazy and it only cost around $8.

There were just a few problems. One of the staff at the front desk was really rude and really unwelcoming. I know they required a credit card when checking in, but we later found out they had taken $50 out of my boyfriend's debit card upon arrival. That's fine, I just wish they had told us that's what exactly what was happening. We paid the carpark fee and drove underground to find that there were no available spots. We had to wait until someone left before we could park. I know restricted parking is mentioned on the website, so really heed the warning and try and arrive as early as you can to grab a spot if you need one as there is no other place to park (we arrived about 6pm). Lastly we got into the room hoping to clean up a bit -- no towels. I called reception at least 6 times with no answer. We eventually had to leave to make the footy and had to tell them on the way down that we had none in our room. We were told they would be sent up. We arrived back around 11 to find no towels had arrived. We had to return once again to reception to ask for towels. I had to wait for the same rude young bloke to finish his conversation with another staff member before he decided to help me. It was a bit annoying, I expected them to be a little bit more on top of things considering the price we were paying.

Other than that, nice hotel, nice location, would definitely stay again. Also, definitely recommend eating at either Saute Thai restaurant or the Bavarian Beer Hall (both near Church St)... both have great food and drink!

Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2010

Exceeded my expectations in pretty much all aspects of a hotel. Value for money (we used wotif.com), friendly staff, great service, room was fantastic with a huge bed (plenty of room to move in the room with a beautiful bathroom and spa), great breakfast... really enjoyed our stay and would stay again. It's also in a great location and we were very comfortable.

As for the "door" dramas, it was a little bit of a hassle but I've seen much, much worse. We were given two cards and it took me 10 seconds to figure out that only one actually worked in the door, and it opened the door the second try.

For the negatives:

The fold out "sofa"... I wouldn't want to sleep on it, but the little one didn't seem to mind. It was sunk in the middle and the matress wasn't very comfortable. (Give that one to the kids)

Old CRT TV - Yes I'm nit-picking, but for such a nice & modern hotel this lets it down. In saying that, the TV worked fine and it did the job - everything else was great so who really cares?

4.5 stars. I stay in a lot of hotels for business and this one is up there with the best of them.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Nowra
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2010

Our stay at the mantra was very enjoyable, and I'm hoping the trade show will be held at the same place next year so we can return.

The staff were very friendly and helpful, with instant service when we called to ask for extras. The room was light, airy, clean, and welcoming. The bed was VERY comfy and I slept well.

We ate brekky at the restaurant, and this was also a lovely experience. The food was delcious, appropriately hot or cold, and the atmosphere relaxing.

I definitely recommend the Mantra for anyone staying in the Parramatta area. It is also in easy walking distance of Westfields Shopping Centre, the train station, buses and taxis.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business