“Not bad, but a little annoying.”
Review of Mantra Parramatta

Mantra Parramatta
Ranked #5 of 12 Hotels in Parramatta
Brisbane, Australia
“Not bad, but a little annoying.”
Reviewed March 20, 2012

We were in Sydney for a family function as as our daughter was with us we decided to stay at the Mantra in a one bedroom apartment. Apartment was very nice and the separate bedroom had a king size bed.

However the third bed as a converted sofa which I did not think was appropriate and was not exactly the most comfortable of beds.

Also very annoying was that the bar shut at 8:00pm on both Saturday and Sunday evening. I am sorry but this is completely unacceptable. Nowhere in any of the blurb does it say this, and frankly had I known this I'd not have stayed. Also annoying was the $15.00 per night charge for car parking and the 2% surcharge for using Amex. Am afraid Mantra has lost me on this.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Murray A
RobEverett1, General Manager at Mantra Parramatta, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear 'Dusse'

Thankyou for staying recently & taking the time to write a review on Mantra Parramatta. Its appreciated !

I note your comments on the One bedroom apartments & the sofa bed arrangements in the room. They are usually quite convenient to family's, however we have a number of different options available to families including interconnecting rooms - which sometimes suit better. My team try very hard to accomodate mutliple guests in the one-bedroom apartments, and are more than happy to discuss during check-in or the reservation process.

I am sorry that our Bar was not open upon your return to the hotel, and that the closing time of 8pm was not communicated. We try to open out F&B outlets to fit in the demands of our customers - unfortunately this did not suit your needs, so i am sorry for this.

I note your points on the parking charge and credit card surcharge.

I would be more than happy to discuss these issue with you in person. Please feel free to contact me directly at the hotel

Again, thankyou for your feedback on the hotel

Rob Everett

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Reviewed March 18, 2012

Mantra neglect to state rooms can be across from train lines which during the day are fine and you don't notice, as soon as night hits and everything else goes silent you begin to get annoyed with constant trains that run throughout the night.
Mantra does not provide earplugs and unfortunately they've made no effort to sound proof windows on the train line side of the building.
I asked to be moved and advised full booking but know they only mean bookings are full in the same type of room and could give me a different type of room. An upgrade or change of room temporarily or until the same room type becomes available would have been appreciated.
Worst hotel I've stayed in so far!!! Not happy at all. Facilities are good but do make up for rooms.

• Stayed March 2012
2 Thank GracieLou86
RobEverett1, General Manager at Mantra Parramatta, responded to this review, April 3, 2012
Dear 'GracieLou86'

Thankyou for taking the time to review Mantra Parramatta.

I am very sorry to hear your stay was not pleasant, and affected by the noise of trains. Unfortunately we were fully booked the night you stayed, so we could not move you to another part of the hotel.

We do have many different options and different styles of accom - located in two towers.

I would love to have you back at the hotel - and show you some great alternatives we have around the building - please do not hesitate to contact me directly and i would be happy to show you some options

Once again, apologies that your stay was not perfect, but i appreciate & thankyou for your feedback

UK
Reviewed March 9, 2012

I had originally planned for a five day stay in or near Sydney probably no further out than the Meriton Bondi Junction where I stayed last year. Unfortunately booking late meant I couldn't get my preferred locations so the choice became to stay somewhere cheaper in town or look further afield.
I decided to look out of the city and Paramatta came up in searches with the Mantra and Meriton apartments standing out as they appeared to be up to half the price of the same brand locations in the city and the pictures appeared to show the rooms to be of similar quality even if the location may not quite match up.

I had passed through Paramatta on the train before on the way to the Blue Mountains so knew that it was about 25 minutes on the train out of Sydney (around 10 miles / 16 Km) and appeared to be a large town on the western suburbs of Sydney connected by industrial sites and residential areas all the way along. Although not run down it didn't appear to be an area to go sight-seeing right outside the front door.
I choose the Mantra over the Meriton as it was sited near to the railway station and adjacent to a Westfield shopping centre and as they are apartments the nearby Coles and Woolworths food stores proved very handy. The Meriton although next to the river Ferry stop and had a better view was slightly more out of town. (A tip is to use Google 'Streetview' to walk around the hotels to see what facilities are nearby).

After leaving the railway station the Mantra is a short walk down a side street and is located amongst some other similarly tall and anonymous office buildings and the entrance is large but not obvious until you get close to it. the lobby is well presented and the staff appeared smart well mannered but with little joy as seems to be the case in most places nowadays. The lift quick and shiny deposits you in the corridor which matches many apartment hotels, well kept but very bland compared to the previous travels within the buildings.

I booked a one bedrooom apartment and entered to find a similarly bland white schemed decor although it did look very clean and well set out if not overly big. The corridor opened into a kitchenette with the bathroom, laundry and bedroom of to the right and seating area straight on with a sliding patio door to the small balcony area. The whole impression was of well kept, clean furnishings and set up but a liitle uninspiring. The bedroom was clean and comfortable and had the added bonus of a second television which oddly had many more channels than the main room TV. Going out on the small balcony was never going give you panoramic views of Sydney but was high enough (10th floor) to avoid looking into the studio apartments almost opposite and gave a distant view of the Sydney skyline..... and the railway station ....and the chemical works (not as bad as it sounds really).

One of my big disapointments is that hotels still charge high prices for internet and the Mantra was no different and when you want to plan the next days intinery with just a few minutes online time this proves expensive if you only have overseas cell connection as an alternative. If you don't want to roam around looking for free WiFi you can sit on the balcony and pick up the adjacent hotels much cheaper wifi connection!

Overall a clean, well set out slightly spartan looking apartment. The facilities all worked well with separate washer and dryer invaluable and resonable cutlery,dishes and glasses supplied and daily housemaid service efficiently doing their job whilst I was out. I can't comment on the dining or bar features of this hotel as i hadn't tried them but they did appear to close quite early so didn't seem very inviting.

If you are visiting Sydney itself then the issue is always going to be the journey in and out from the city to Paramatta as 25 minutes does seem an age on the train (MyMulti tickets cover this journey) but the trains are frequent and seem safe. The location is very handy for the Blue mountains being on the direct line to Katoomba and beyond.

The plus point will always be the discounted price this sort of location will charge compared to the equivalent apartments in the city and one nights saving can buy you a top price Sydney area 'Mymulti ' weekly travel pass if you need to get out and about on almost any transport service in the Sydney area. possibly good as well if you have car and don't want to fight out of the city all the time to go sight seeing. If you can put up with the travelling, staying a way out of town with only office blocks to gaze at and don't mind the slightly anemic decor then this is a good and cheap alternative to staying in the city.

Better than 3 star but just under a 4 star apartment.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ThePlodder
Dear 'ThePlodder'

Thankyou for your review on Mantra Parramatta.

You have correctly identified one of the great secrets in Sydney Accomodation - Parramatta CBD !

A lot of our guests are surprised at how little time it takes to get into the City from Parramatta. Usually around 25 minutes - with trains running around every 5-10 minutes. Our location in Parramatta is perfecly central to the train station and also Westfields Parramatta. Most Hotels in Parramatta usually are more reasonably priced than their counterparts in the City.

Thankyou for your feedback on the apartment accomodation, team members and the Internet cost. I will ensure these are passed onto my team as well.

Once again - i really appreciate your taking the time to write such a thorought review.

Wollongong, Australia
Reviewed March 1, 2012

Work usually books us at the Sebel up the road but it was booked solid. I had read some negative reviews on the Mantra but thought how bad could one night be. 5pm Check in was very quick with 3 staff at desk. Very polite, very help full. I got one of the last packign spaces available and I asked if I could leave car there all the follwoign day although check out - no problem. There is other parking next to anyway. Room (and colleagues) seemed recent refurb. Bar was good for late drink. Ate at PJ's Irish just down the road. No problems for me at this hotel.

Room Tip: Review was floor 7
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Fallsy
Dear 'Fallsy'

Thankyou very much for your feedback on Mantra Parramatta.

I am pleased that you found the hotel team members helpful during your stay and you enjoyed your time at the property.

We do have some great accomodation & facilities at the hotel - which have been recently refreshed, but also we are very conveniently located to a number of different facilities within the Parramatta CBD.

I hope to have you back at the hotel in the near future

Please do not hesitiate to call me directly should you wish to stay at the hotel on a more regular basis

Blue Mountains National Park, Australia
Reviewed February 25, 2012

Just average - bed's were clean but didn't get a good nights sleep as they were on the firm side and so too the pillows. Biggest gripe was the TV as it had poor reception and not set up properly as images were 'fat' ie squashed. Overall, for the price I paid, $108 for a Sunday night, it's not too bad as the train station & Westfield is less than 5 minutes away.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank EatnSleepMatt
Dear 'eatnsleep_matt'

Thankyou for writing a review on Mantra Parramatta.

I am sorry to read that you found our bedding & pillows on the firm side. We have recently replaced our beds at the hotel and are generally receiving very positive comments on the mattresses, however i will take you comments on board. Our housekeeping department has a number of different pillow styles to satisify different requirements. I will ensure that we are more proactive in offering these to guests when we recieve this type of feedback in future.

We have just replaced all TV's at the hotel with LCD flatscreens, and are working with our TV provider to chang the older Analogue Signal into a Clearer Digital picture. Expect to see a perfectly clear picture very soon.

Thankyou for pointing out that we are very conveniently located to the train station and Westfields Shopping Centre - one of the great advantages staying at the hotel.

Once again, thankyou for your feedback - please do not hestitate to contact me directly during your next stay, so i can ensure you are well loked after

Reviewed February 21, 2012

Was not impressed with a few features of the room. In the room I stayed in had the shower built in such a way that the water from the shower covered the whole bathroom floor and into the next room as the shower didn't have a bottom and we had to use our towels to clean it up. The room was nice and tidy but over all the shower let whole experience down of staying at the mantra.

• Stayed February 2012
2 Thank Deb_Musawi
RobEverett1, General Manager at Mantra Parramatta, responded to this review, February 23, 2012
Dear 'Deb_Musawi'

Thankyou for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Mantra Parramatta.

I am sorry to hear that your stay was not as good as it could have been, and the frustration you have experienced, regarding water escaping from the shower and covering your bathroom floor.

The room that you stayed in, was a wheelchair accessable room, and whilst it offers the same features as a normal guest room, the floor 'edge stripping' and shower curtain cannot always do the same job as a shower screen.

This morning, I did go up to the room that you stayed in and your feedback has highlighted another issue. The way the water 'flows' into the shower drain can be directed much better with new edge stripping - so this will be fixed immediately.

Please accept my apologies regarding your recent stay. I would love to have you stay again at the hotel, so I can show you the different accomodation options we have at the hotel. Please feel free to contact me directly, and I will ensure you are well looked after.

Once again, I really appreciate your feedback on Mantra Parramatta. It will help us get better - thankyou

Cabarita Beach, Australia
Reviewed February 15, 2012

Stayed here for business, staff very friendly ad helpful, hotel rooms very roomy, clean and comfortable, king size beds brand ew plasma tvs. Breakfast very yum. If you eed to go to Syd for business this hotel is very nice and covenient. Only negative was that the gym equipment was very old sqeaky and outdated.

Room Tip: I stayed on the side off the main road was very quiet.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank KaseyBoyd
RobEverett1, General Manager at Mantra Parramatta, responded to this review, February 21, 2012
Dear 'KaseyBoyd'

Thankyou for taking the time to write a review regarding your stay at Mantra Parramatta.

I am very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and I know that my team at the hotel also appreciated your review/comments.

As you pointed out we have recently upgraded our TV's and bedding at the hotel, so i am pleased your found them comfortable.

We are currently looking at some new gym equipment, which we really compliment the changes my team has made of late. I am hoping to have this in place over the coming months

Once again, I really appreciate your comments, and look forward to welcoming you back in the near future