“There is better yum cha around”
Review of Parramatta Phoenix

Parramatta Phoenix
Ranked #242 of 473 Restaurants in Parramatta
Cuisines: Chinese
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Yum Cha, Part of phoenix group including Manly & Rhodes.
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
“There is better yum cha around”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I was really excited for the first time that I went to this restaurant. All my previous yum cha experiences had been superb and I didn't doubt that this would be any different particularly with such a central location and the hype the surrounded it's arrival.
I didn't like it. The food was often cold by the time it got to us, their dumplings were uber dry, noodles were so flaky and their staff were not as 'ever-present' as what one is normally used to at yum cha restaurants.
The prices definitely were not matching to the food/service.

• Visited October 2012
3 Thank Cecilia T

Sydney
“Nowhere near as good as their other restaurants.”
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Perhaps my "poor" rating has been influenced by how good their other restaurants are (Sydney City, Manly and Chatswood) but this Phoenix is just not up to their usual standard. Firstly they did not give me any soy sauce or chilli sauce. I always get Honey Pepper Pork but what I picked off the meat tray was the most flaccid, fatty, soggy honey pork I have ever had - there was no pepper on it either. Disgusting. The other dishes that I had were better, and there seemed to be a good selection of items going around. I especially liked the vegetarian bean curd rolls. Also there were a couple of dessert trays with an interesting selection of items. Unfortunately I was in a hurry so didn't get to try any. Then they lost my bill - they were so disorganised that I could have walked out without paying and no-one would have batted an eyelid. I wouldn't go back as they couldn't do the best thing on their menu properly, and since it is just so far from where you have to park as well.

• Visited May 2013
4 Thank tron412
San Francisco
“Definitely not a Monday Morning kinda thing”
Reviewed April 8, 2013

The prices are inflated but the food is great.
It's not particularly the best breakfast option for a Monday morning - the food is limited and the service is very slow, although the employees are always nice :)
I almost missed my train having waited half an hour for some dumplings and chicken feet.

• Visited April 2013
Sydney, Australia
“Yum cha is hard work”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

Recently visited for yum cha - wow, pushy staff - they must be paid commission only as they won't take a "no thank you" when they offered a dish. They will even offered dishes when there is no room left on your table, and even if there is no room, the staff offering the food can't take or clear the finished dishes.
Food, was ok but reminded me more of something you would buy in a food court take away not a restaurant, noting I did have yum cha not the menu choice. There are a lot of smaller Chinese restaurants on Church St, that have much more flavoursome dishes where I'll be going back to.

• Visited March 2013
2 Thank Razar88
New South Wales, Australia
“Good and bad”
Reviewed March 2, 2013 via mobile

I love yum cha and having enjoyed Sky Phoenix in the city several times, I was happy to discover Parramatta Phoenix.

The front desk staff were a bit confused and couldn't seem to work out who was going to seat us. But, after following three different staff members around whilst they yelled across the restaurant at each other, we were finally seated.

The trolley ladies were lovely - friendly, smiley and quick.

The steamed dumplings were lovely - fresh, delicious and hot. The kitchen snacks we're not. We first had a serve of dry-fried plum beef and it was cold. Not just lukewarm, but cold. We were wiser when the next trolley came around offering BBQ duck and sweet chilli chicken and asked for hot serves. These were provided with only a few minutes' wait. Our desserts of mango pancakes was delicious.

Would I go back again? Yes, but I'd stick to the steamed dumplings as the rest was pretty disappointing, especially as its not cheap.