“Needs a "lift"”

Ranked #8 of 11 Hotels in Parramatta
Newcastle, Australia
“Needs a "lift"”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

checked in to the Novotel after a wonderful days shopping with a bus full of excited ladies. this hotel also was holding a "function" with 300 guests. this hotel should have been able to handle the people BUT it's lifts kept sending us to the basement, back to our floor, basement and back again before reaching our desired floor. this made the lifts waiting time enormous!! It took me 45 minutes to get down stairs from the 4th floor with no stair option and a heavy bag full of shopping. Breakfast struggled as well to cater for the masses. all in all i would not recommend this hotel unless your about the only guests staying.

Room Tip: 1st floor so you dont have to use the nightmare lifts
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank meredith M
Michael D, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, December 4, 2013
Dear Meredith M

Thank you for your comments. I do agree our 3 lifts do struggle when we have between 300 to 400 guests wanting to get up onto the floors all at the same time. With this said the going to different floor is concerning and with your comments we have asked our maintenance contractor for the lifts to look into your comments. The F and B Manager is also addressing your breakfast comments as this is unusual, we normally cope well with volume at the property.

I am happy to let you know also with the hotel's lifts we are replacing them in February which will finish our refurbishment from arrival to room. This will also add slight volume with only one hand rall being installed and thinner cladding. This will be such a great addition to the overall experience based on the current lifts we have in service.

Whilst I understand your comments I do hope you take the time to experience us again as I believe you not recommending us I a little disappointing on one situation based wexperience. For this I do apologise, I know we are better than this and I would personally like the opportunity of welcoming you back to the property.

Regards,
Novotel Sydney Parramatta

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (133)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 13, 2013

From the outside the hotel is nice enough and a modern lobby with bar and restaurant. The rooms though are a little old, bathroom dated and walls a little dirty.
Loaction is great with transport close by, shopping down the street and many restaurants within walking distance.
Bar and Restaurant look nice and modern although tough to get any service, bar was unmanned 3 times I tried to get a drink there. Went to the restaurant at lunchtime and unable to get service, went to front desk and they tried to get someone without success, went down the street to another restaurant.
Lifts were excruciating as they were so slow, when a conference was at the hotel and it finished Friday evening the lobby was filled with people waiting for the lift for almost an hour, I came in and sat at the bar to wait for the crowd to subside, managed to get one drink and bar attendant dissapeared even though the bar area was full of people.
In summary it is a good spot with transport, shopping and restaurants close by but some work needed to get up to standard. Choose the Mantra - cheaper and better facilities and service.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank qldr54
Michael D, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, November 27, 2013
Dear QLDR54
I was happy to hear that you enjoyed the location of our hotel, but I will be following up with our Food and Beverage Manager as to why the hotels bar was unattended on 3 occasions throughout your stay.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed there first weekend of November, Lots of guests stayed for a soccer game on Friday night and people stayed for the Rosehill Racecourse on Saturday and there was a concert at the stadium. So the place was crowded We had a superior room at the back, very quiet also got to change the pillows from a menu of pillows. Staff were wery friendly. The swimming pool was good, but need to keep an eye on the kids as it is very hard to get in and out if you are small or old. Loved the bath robes in the rooms which were refurbished. Did not eat at the restaurant as there are lots of good restaurants outside. Loved the free bus just outside.

Room Tip: Choose a back room and ask for an upgrade you never know
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Henry Y
It’s great to hear that you had a wonderful stay with us at Novotel Parramatta.
Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

On arrival we were upgraded to a king room which was lovely and spacious and the bed was very comfortable. In the bathroom there was a tap with a constant leak and the walls were paper thin and we could hear everything in the room next door.
We tried the hotel restaurant for dinner where we were served reheated pork belly and a very bland "pink risotto". It gets worse. My main of angel hair pasta was JUST angel hair pasta on a plate with some oil and garlic. My husband's fish was served up with a boring handful of carrots. It was impossible to get table service and we had to stand up looking like we were going to leave to get attention. We were asked how our meal was and had told the waitress it was awful. She simply apologised and offered us a complimentary lolly! We still had to pay for that awful meal.
We decided to give the buffet breakfast a shot thinking surely it can't be that bad. It was WORSE than we anticipated. $28 per person and nothing but empty buffet. We watched the staff continuously bring out clean plates hoping they would bring out more food but it never happened!!!
I went straight to the manager on duty at the front desk and made my complaint known. He was very apologetic, took notes of all my complaints and removed the breakfast charge.
The food being prepared and served in the hotel restaurant is atrocious. Powdered scrambled eggs and tinned spaghetti are not what i would class as quality food and based on the experiences i had in the restaurant i would not be returning.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Dear Sarah552013
Thank you for your feedback on your most recent stay at Novotel Parramatta.
I was happy to hear that you enjoyed your upgraded room, but disappointed regarding your experience in the hotel’s restaurant. I will be following your feedback up with both our Executive Chef and Food and Beverage manager regarding the food quality and service you experienced.
Coffs Harbour, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

The staff were great. Room was spacious and beds very comfy. We had room service which was quick, and the food was delicious, although I didn't like the bottled water they had, and didn't think it was worth the $8 I paid.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Central Coast NSW
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2013

I have stayed in this hotel on several occasions. On a previous stay I was still chasing my security deposit back after 10 days even though there were no extra charges. From that stay on I have paid cash for security deposit which is $100 at other hotels in the area. On arrival at The Novatel Parramatta this stay I was told if paying by card it was $100 but if paying cash it would be $250. I found $250 totally ridiculous as I hadn't even paid that much for the room. After checking in I went to my room only to find that it was a twin room and I had booked a queen. Back to reception and with some juggling I was upgraded to a king. The room was nice and bed comfortable. Upon check out the following morning the man on reception left the counter and personally went up to check my room before my security deposit was returned whist I stood waiting at reception. Others checking out didn't seem to have this procedure. I was embarrassed , humiliated and made feel criminal like. I regularly stay in Parramatta hotels and have never been treated this way. I assure you I will be avoiding this hotel in future. Two bad experiences in a row with this hotel.
The Park Royal around the corner leaves this hotel for dead in customer service.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Michael D, General Manager at Novotel Sydney Parramatta, responded to this review, November 8, 2013
Dear BronzedAussie1973
I was disappointed to read that you did not enjoy your experience at Novotel Parramatta.
I would be happy to discuss your stay directly and can be contacted on 02 9630 4999.