“Good value”

UWS Village
Auckland
“Good value”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

$70 Aus/night. Provided basic rooms in a 6 room configuration with 2 bathrooms and a kitchen/lounge in each unit. Noise could be a problem but I had no issues. Security seemed good with swipe card entry to each unit and then good quality lock on each room. Ability to padlock (not supplied) a personal drawer as well. Swimming pool on site and outdoor gym as well. Hard to pick the correct bus stop when coming from Paramatta but if you miss it and end up at the stop on the Southern Campus then there are free shuttles to transfer you. There is also a walkway on the western side (LH) of the highway overbridge if the shuttles are not running.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank NZsailor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Tamworth, Australia
Reviewed May 9, 2013

I stayed here because it was close to Cumberland hospital where I was doing some training for work.  First night was okay, one of the toilets leaks, and you can hear everything).  However, second night was down right horrible.  I came back to a place smelling of smoke and empty beer cans and cigarette ash throughout the common areas.  I went to my room, did some work and ate dinner.  I then started overhearing a older lady, who was slurring her words and yelling, banging on another persons door making sexually inappropriate comments to a male who was in the room next to me (you turned me on, I need male company, let me come in and I'll give you a bj, etc). The male told the woman to go away that he was sleeping.  The lady then went to the kitchen, making a ton of noise, getting all of pots pans and glassware out of the cabinets, all the while smoking.  After this, she paced up and down the hallway, yelling at the male, and talking to herself.  At this time,I called after hours help, who came.  However, this only acted as a lighter fluid to already burning fire.  The situation escalated and became violent.  The woman was asked to leave and the after hours help people left and said they would give her 15 minutes to get her stuff together.  After they left, the lady started banging on my door and I was utterly scared that she was going to break through the door.  I immediately called the after hours help people and told them to please come back as I felt very unsafe, which they did.  Eventually, she left after two hours it was agreed that uws village would refund her accommodation in full. When I woke up the next morning, the place was a mess! I decided to use the other shower that was not a mess, but long behold it was broken! I decided to go to the front and ask for a refund and told the lady at the front the storey as she had no idea what happened.  She said well "did she attack you" and "she was only here one night".  The experience was horrible.  I was absolutely horrified that the front office refunded the offending party their money back but did not refund the two people who actually had to experience this assault.  I felt extremely unsafe and at one point was scared that this lady was going to physically hurt me.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
4 Thank adkamp28
Kiwi in Walus, UK
Reviewed August 19, 2012

$65/night is cheap. I normally spend 140-170 for business travel but couldn't find anything in walking distance of Parramatta under $300 so thought I'd give this a go.
Basically clean although did see a couple of small cockroaches in room (I normally have a glass of water by the bed - decided not). Flat smelled of curry from other residents. I didn't cook so no comment on kitchen. Flat white painted walls with no pictures, grills on windows that didn't open, single bed with single cheap blanket and pillow not much thicker. Didn't feel like the kind of place you socialised with other residents & no TV etc except in common area.
Showers were institutional but functional.
Summary : cheap functional but no comfort & not recommended if you can go better.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
UWS_12, Manager at UWS Village, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks for your feedback,
As you mention our accomodation is $65 per night and if you normally stay at places for $150 it is impossible to compare.
We offer basic accomodation for travellers on a budget, and in order to offer accomodation at these prices.
Just to clarify the windows of all the rooms do open, the fly screen is the item that can't be removed and maybe thats what you made mention to. All lounges in our shared apartments have a TV, there is also a TV room with Foxtel available for all residents that located next to our games room.
We conduct a quartely pest control program in the Village to avoid pest.

Regards,

Village Management
Sydney
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I'm an international student from the USA, and this accomodation is disgraceful and makes Australia look really bad. Second day off the plane, got to my room, and there was serious mould in the fridge and cupboards. Disgusting. Sink was blocked, food from previous residents was left in fridge and i was told I had to pay for it to be cleaned. The bedroom was dirty and hadn't even been vaccumed. The fly screen was broken and there was no air conditioner!!! When I arrived the light in my bedroom had been blown and my boyfriend who is australian born agreed that it was un-liveable at the time of arrival. The employees are nice and friendly and the location was good, if you're a student at uws parramatta, but the location is bad if you're looking to just live in the parramatta area. They clearly think they can get away with this with Asian international students (as many residents were Chinese or Indian), but this accomodation was extremely poor for a developed country. Overall, I wouldnt suggest this accomodation to anyone. If you want to see what good accomodation looks like I would recommend looking into Macquarie University student accomodation which is about a 30 min. bus from UWS parrmatta.

Room Tip: Macquarie university or rent in Harria Park.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Ellen S
UWS_12, Manager at UWS Village, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Thanks for your feedback,
Did you report these maintenance and cleanliness issues to the Village, all rooms should be clean on arrival and if its not we will give you an alternative room or send a cleaner to have it rectified.
Regarding the refrigerator and the sink, all our apartments are shared by several students and its their responsability to maintain the common areas clean, the Village conducts monthly inspections to make sure the residents are maintaining thir apartments clean.
We have a full time maintenance person that will attend to anny issue that is reported to the Village management.
Unfortunatly as this is student accomodation we try to keep the cost affordable for students and by not providing air conditioning it allows us to do this, all rooms have cross air ventilation and a ceiling fan to assist with any heat issues.
The Village was built in 2009 and is maintained in a very good condirion, I lament that you found our living standards very poor.
Regards,