“Worth the trip”

7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 65 helpful votes
“Worth the trip”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

Lovely calm waters to swim in, lots of biodiversity, good little 'comedors' to eat fresh fish and chat with the locals

I stayed in Jiquillio and walked along the beach (5kms) to visit Padre Ramos. Made for a good relaxing day trip, enojyable and well worth it. Went back to Jiquillio on the 3pm bus.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank Simon_M_Walters

Los Angeles, California
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Beautiful Beach”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

Deserted beach, great for surfing, walking, swimming and relaxing. One of the best beaches on our trip.

Visited February 2012
1 Thank jerry w
San Francisco, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“ibis kayaking: what a great trip - not just kayaking”
Reviewed March 16, 2011

My wife and I really enjoyed our trip with Jen the owner of IbisKayaking.
We toured Leon, did a couple volcano hikes, kayaked Padre Ramos Estuary and walked around a couple small villages. I'm not much of a bird watcher but I really enjoyed the birding in the estuary. Neither of us are very good at kayaking but Jen was very patient with our utter lack of skills and with her coaching we finally have learned how to re-enter a kayak!

Jen will tailor the tour to suit your needs. I'm over 50 and hardly fit, but I had no problem with the hikes or the kayaking -still- I think you'll have more fun if you are in reasonably good condition and enjoy camping and the outdoors.

What to bring: my wife and I are both very sensitive to insect bites, so I recommend an insect proof bivy sack in addition to what Jen suggested.

Binoculars, camera, hiking shoes, water bottles, day pack and a sense of adventure are a must.

I wish I had brought a star chart too.

The tour ended way too soon for us.

Visited February 2011
Leon, Nicaragua
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Kayak Nicaragua - Estero Padre Ramos Nature Reserve”
Reviewed August 27, 2010

My home is the Estero Padre Ramos Nature Reserve, one of the most ecologically important natural areas in Nicaragua. It is one of the largest mangrove estuaries left in Central America, with more than 200 species of birds, 3 species of sea turtles, iguanas, conch, mollusks, crabs, caimans, crocodiles, butterflies, tubeworms, and fish galore. The locals call it “la cuna” or the cradle, because it is home to an abundance of young and small creatures in its shallow, saline waters.

The estuary and nature reserve are mi casa-sweet-casa on the Pacific North Coast of Nicaragua. For the past four California winters, I have lived kayaking in a rural fishing village with little to no electricity, running water, and refrigeration. The land is rich to grow food, and the estuary is abundant for small-scale fishing practices. When I am paddling, I am passing hand-carved dugout canoes and young people swimming along the shore. Or an occasional heron, ibis, or jumping fish. The vista varies from overhanging channels deep in the mangroves to long coastal stretches with only sand and surf. It is dry tropical, welcoming, and my own version of a real paradise.

3 Thank IbisKayaking