“Un poco loco”
Review of Rancho Tranquilo

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Chinandega Department
Rancho Tranquilo
Reviewed November 29, 2012 via mobile

The Spot ist very nice. The food is cheap and delicious.
Tina is very crazy.
The barkeeper is very lazy.
The cabins are not too nice and compfortable, very dark in the inside and the matresses are a catastrophe.
The turtle rescue nextdoor is a very nice thing to See...

• Stayed: October 2012
2  Thank mel99999

Reviewed June 26, 2012

Waves at your fingertips, BEAUTIFUL beach. 2-bed cabin all to myself, slept like the dead. Cervezas and laughter throughout the day. What could be sweeter? Tina brings a little San Francisco, a little New Orleans, and a lot of love to her Rancho. Still dreaming of lying in my hammock, waiting for the bus delivering more water and backpackers. Dogs barking? Yep. Cows mooing. Roosters crowing. Neighbors rhythmically slicing at weeds with machetes. The real deal - real LIFE! You want the Sheraton, this is not your place. Hot water and electricity MOST of the time. You want a happy adventure? You'll find it at Rancho Tranquilo.

Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
3  Thank Kim G
Reviewed June 13, 2012

Rancho traquillio is one of the best places I went to in Nicaragua. Tina facilitated an experience that made me feel like I was at home. Tina, Mami and Isabella are great host! I loved it so much I went back twice. No matter what you want to do it is here and all you have to do is enjoy!

The beaches here are gorgeous and littered with seashells. I walked down to the estuary and kayaked through the man groves (with the very proficient guide:). The full moons are especially amazing.

The food is great - I really though the was meat in it! & Nothing beats a chocolate caramel liquado on a hot afternoon!

The dirt road is really worth it if you are ready to kick back and enjoy:)

Room Tip: bunks or cabins
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 13, 2012

I first stayed at the Rancho in 2009 and quickly adopted Tina as my Nica mom!!! The location is way off the grid which is exactly what I look for when backpacking and trying to get away from all the other travelers. I have been to the Rancho 8 times now and everytime has been a fantastic experience meeting amazing people from all over the world and having some amazing parties at the bar on the beach!!!
The accomodations are perfect for a beach hostel, one large dorm, and many private cabins. The beauty of this place is that you can hear the ocean from anywhere you are, in your cabin or in the dorm, its the best way to fall asleep and then to sleep off the hangover the next morning.
The food is vegetarian and TOP NOTCH!!!!! Cant go wrong at all, and its fairly priced considering that there are basically no other options for food... The beach is tranquil and EMPTY, allowing you to take it all in without the noise and bother of lots of other people, and also allows for fantastic skinny dipping at night!!!
I love this place and will continue to go back as often as possible!!! I live in Guatemala at the moment, but will be back down soon!!!!
Oh, EMBRACE the glitter, its part of the fun!!!!! You will understand when you get there!!!!

Room Tip: The dorms are just fine unless you are with someone and want some privacy... If you do get a cabin...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed March 27, 2012

I came here with my girlfriend by mistake and stayed for two nights. The bus let us off here instead of Rancho Esperanza and made us wish we had not missed our first stop. We had a "private" cabin that was stuck between two others literally arm's length away from each other. Normally this wouldn't be a problem, but the walls are made of bamboo making things the least bit sound proof meaning you can hear everything next door. Directly across from our cabin was the toilet that was used frequently by the late night partiers that added to the noise. The hostel also has four or more dogs and when one barked the whole pack went off.
The owner is fun to party with and takes it seriously but she can easily get confused with who is drinking what. The small beers ($2) are overly priced for the service you receive. We had extra beers marked on our bill and she insisted that we had drank them. It made for an awkward confrontation when we had to pay because she was clearly too drunk to remember who she had been serving. Other guests shared the same problem and it was a common complaint.
The showers and toilets were often without water. Not sure if they had a plumbing problem or if they forgot to fill up the tank. At night they were frequently used and neglected.
The beach was beautiful and one of the best I have seen on this trip. The local staff were great, but the owner was out of it. It's a great location but on a small piece of property meaning everything is a bit crowded, making it difficult to have personal space. If I were on Spring Break and looking for a party, I think I would have enjoyed this place more. But in the end I was looking for a tranquil spot on the beach and unfortunately this was not it. I would recommend visiting the other hostel down the road.

Room Tip: Be sure to ask for a private cabin. The first cabin we were given was actually a dorm, meaning if t...
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank jerry w
Reviewed March 22, 2012

Rancho Tranquilo was suggested to my boyfriend by a friend who had worked there before. It's completely off the grid, No Internet, phones, only locals and the visitors that know about the place already. The cabins are spacious, have lots of space and get nice and cool over night. The beach is footsteps away, the water is warm and compared to many other towns the garbage and waste is minimal up and down the beach. There's an estuary at the top of the town which is gorgeous and calm, you can do tours through it in kayaks or rowboats, horseback riding is available and the horses are among the healthiest I've seen in Nica! The surf camp is up the beach but you can rent them from Tina too. The food is great, bring your appetite as everything is huge and well priced! Nights can be fun, glitter parties break out but it's all in good fun. It's not a 'party' hostel but everyone's there to have a good time and relax!
Wish we never had to leave!

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed February 20, 2012

Rancho Tranquilo is just right off the beach. In the morning all you do is get up and head out to the calm, gorgeous ocean. The food is vegetarian and fabulous. Everyone chooses their favorite & 2 win for lunch & dinner. Accomodations are lovely huts with a shared bathroom, shower area. You young backpackers can stay in a dorm. The least expensive accomodation is a hammock near the front. You become like family with whoever is staying there. We all sang songs and shared stories in the evening looking at the stars. What a sweet oasis. From here you can go by boat into the mangroves or go farther afield towards the volcano. A gem of a spot!

Room Tip: all the cabins are equally lovely.
  • Stayed: January 2012, traveled as a couple