“Alcudia, Majorca”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Alcudia

Sponsored by:
Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Sponsored by:
Dublin
7 helpful votes
“Alcudia, Majorca”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 11, 2009

An expensive place, ideal for families. Read on to hear about my stay with my family and I can tell you what to do and not to do.

Having just returned today from Majorca where we had a great first week of weather and an overcast but very humid 2nd week, we all had a great time.

We travelled 2 adults 2 children one 6 years and one 7 months, we did all inclusive as it was the cheapest at the time of booking and we were delighted that we did as we found Alcudia very expensive.

I would suggest to anyone travelling with an infant to bring as much as you can for them, baby formula can be bought nearly everywhere, Cow & Gate is huge and so is the price, ready made cartons were double the price as were jars of food, we did find one shop that sold the big box of Cow & Gate for €19.00, the cheapest we seen. Nappies are a horrendous price, at €10 for 24 this was double the price than Ireland where you can get 56 at €10.59 for certain brands, funnily enough Pampers was cheaper than their own brand but still expensive. The cheapest wipes were €2.90 for 72 pack, Swimming nappies €15 on average, some places did have them for €12. Jars of food €1.90 for one, I was glad that I had brought as much as I did and only had to buy wipes, the prices were scandalous.

Any toiletries you can bring , BRING WITH YOU, shower gels €3 for one bottle, shampoos were all averaging €9 some own brands you could get for €5 like Spar own brand. Sun Creams all the same price as Ireland, the average price was €20 for the likes of Amber Solaire. You could buy Spar own brands for about €5 upwards (not sure if these were any good) we went to the main street and priced all the creams in the duty paid shops and chemists and perfume shops and got a Spanish one for €9 in a spray bottle, I was annoyed I didn't bring any more of the Buy one get one free they were doing here in Ireland before I left.

Chocolate is so dear, naturally imported bars will be dearer but even the local chocolate and own brands were so dear, jelly sweets and lollies were all from €5 upwards, crisps were the same, we did manage to find a shop that sold crisps for 3 a pack (large pack).

Eating out, well all I can say is I am so glad we did all inclusive, we ate out one night in a steak restaurant on the main street in Alcudia and the total cost was €59.90 for 2 adult meals and 3 drinks, our 6 year old got his meal free, we had garlic bread for starter and steak, or should I call it a pork chop, we did ask for well done but got it back red, we sent it back and got it back pink, we ended up eating it in the end and we had 3 cokes , we nearly died at the price, back here in Ireland you can get 3 courses for €22 in many of the top Hotels.

Alcudia is catching on that people on holidays will pay money so the prices have been definitely upped, we have gone 5 times so far and this year is definitely the most expensive, we hadn't been to alcudia in 4 years and we were so surprised at how run down it has become, it doesn't seem much money is going back into their tourists spots.

If we are to go back which we most likely will we will definitely stick to all inclusive, we had a fantastic Hotel 'Hotel Marte' and we will only return to Alcudia if returning to this Hotel.

Also medicines are much cheaper there, we left without calpol and got the Spanish equivalent for €1.10 'AMAZING '! prescription also for €4 which is normally €26 here in Ireland.

Cigarettes, if travelling from Ireland they had in Dublin Airport 400 for €50, we thought they might be cheaper in Majorca and waited, everywhere sells them for approx €35 for 200, some brands are €30 but nothing is cheaper, not even the Spanish brands. The alcohol is dirt cheap in the supermarkets, it is cheaper to drink alcohol and smoke than it is to eat.

Palma airport, definitely leave your perfume shopping till the airport, I priced my perfume in Alcudia 75mls of JPG and it was €55 there, it's about €70 here in Ireland if not more and I got it for €40 in Palma airport. I noticed the cigarettes were more expensive than Alcudia itself. Chocolate was a bit cheaper but not by much.

Anyone going you have a great time and enjoy yourself :-)

4 Thank Alse
London
3 helpful votes
“Alcudia - lovely beach!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 8, 2009

My partner and I just returned from 1 week in Alcudia. I have to say the beach is absolutely lovely but the town itself is very British - full of pubs offering British food everywhere so it doesn't really feel like Spain. Also VERY family orientated which wasn't what we were after, but it will suit most people. One big negative about Majorca in general, besides the rip off prices at some places, is the people carrying Horse and Carts you see everywhere - tourists do not realise that these poor animals are being driven every day ALL day with very few breaks. I was horrified to see the amount of ignorant tourists hopping on board and getting taken around the place at these poor horses expense - they are also a rip off and the Majorcans are known for being greedy so please Do Not support them! it is cruel!! Walk instead, lets face it we all drink and eat more on holiday, so rather walk it off and put this outdated and cruel trade out of business!!!

3 Thank sunworshipper008
London, England
3 helpful votes
“Simply beautiful”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2009

A beautiful place full of culture and life. The beach is clean and busy with plenty of places to grab food and refreshments.
I went with a large family of 12 of us, its a magical experience for families. I wouldnt recommend this being a good trip for a couple as there is way too much going on in the hustle and bustle.

We stayed at the Bellevue Apartments, it was awesome. There is a gorgeous little English restaurant on the resort called Don Pedros. Its ran by a Geordie couple who provide evening entertainment. The price for cigarettes and alcohol is so low, its well worth picking some stuff up to take home.

Make sure you check out the shops leading up to the beach!
There are plenty of bargains to grab!!
Also, take a bus into Old Alcudia where you can haggle with the Spaniards at the market stalls. The old buildings thee are a sight and a half. Well worth taking an afternoon to see it.

Overall, the place is beautiful, i am deffo coming back.

3 Thank February20

Been to Alcudia? Share your experiences!